User Tag List

Thread: Polishing Questions

Default Polishing Questions

I'm getting right into this detailing thing.

However have a couple of questions
    1) how do you clean and get the polish out from around badges? Used my new u bute cloth, but it just doesnt fit sometimes.
    2) I have clay bared, removed tar marks and applied & removed Megs Gold Class. Looks and feels sweet as. Is there anything more I should do?

Its rewarding to take dirty rough marked paint and turn it into somethin glassey and smooth.

Thanks for the help

1) To avoid getting polish in there in the first place, try getting some painters tape and taping up your trim, badges etc. Cotton tips will help get it out.

2) Not really. You can get yourself a spray wax to use periodically so you don't have to reapply the Gold Class so often.

Thanks joel, I have some quick detailer so I will use that in between polishes.

Gday Joel, i was wondering:
    1) if you apply the gold class in cooler conditions, ie at night, if it works as well?
    2) is there any benefit in using a buffing machine. Ie does the heat make the gold class stick better or something?
    3) if heat doesnt play apart in the question above is there any reason in particular to use a buffer?
    4) what is the best way to remove dust. My car lives in a garage and quite often is clean but just dusty. What type of cloth should I use?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am becoming addicted to this detailing bisso.

Cheers
    Last edited by PerthMPS; 19-10-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    Timbo

14 Mazda BT50 xt Boss Kit
    13 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    10 VR 3 Neo
    08 CX9 Luxury (sold)
    09 VR 3 MPS Luxury (sold)

Hey Perth,

Check this out will help you alot Car Detailing Products | Welcome to ZAS Detailing Products Store. Meguiars Car Care, Car Wax & More | Detailing Library.
    Also on the bottle of goldclass it will tell you optimum temperatures for application.
    A buffer is used to correct imperfections in the clear coat i.e swirls, holograms e.c.t One can also be used to apply wax but dosent cause the wax to bond better than by hand. The only way to remove dust without inducing swirls is to wash youe car with microfibre mits

Hope that helped sorry to but in
    マツダスピード

all good & thankyou

Hi Timbo,

Sorry I only just saw your post. Lynchy has pretty much covered it but I will answer you anyway.

1) The difference in temperature of the air won't really make much of a difference. A wax should always be applied to a cool surface though.

2) When applying a wax, the only benefit in using a buffing machine is it can be quicker and easier.

Just make sure that you understand the difference between a polish and a wax here. A polish applied by machine will make a HUGE difference than by hand.

3) A buffer is primarily used to polish out imperfection in the paint. Swirl marks (spider webbing), scratches etc. Applying a wax by machine is just an "extra" feature of using a buffer. Not everyone who owns a buffer will apply a wax with it. Many still prefer to apply waxes by hand.

4) The best way to remove dust is by washing it. You can use a QD and a long pile (fluffy) cloth, but over time this will induce more swirls.

There are products that can help reduce dust accumulation. Take a look at the details of this product Finish Kare 425 Ultra Slick Quick Detailer

Amazingly it works. Put it 50/50 on your tv screen and watch the other half without it accumulate dust quicker.

I'll do it now and post up some pics in a few days.