User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best Mazda 6 GPS/DVD units

1. Default What's the best Mazda 6 GPS/DVD units

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a Mazda 6 popup style GPS/DVD unit.

After searching here and online it appears the two options are:

Caska/Polaris:

Or this Chinese unit:

It appears the second unit has Bluetooth but beside that they are similar..
    Edit--> I think one does FM in sound and the other uses the stacker input.
    Which unit is the best and where is the best place to buy?

I have the Ryda one and it isn't too bad.

Bought it from Polaris GPS directly - find them on google - they shipped to me in Melbourne at a fee, but it was relatively cheap at the time.

Comes with a reversing camera - unit pops up when you put the car in reverse. Install was very easy - but there is some electrical work, so if you not confident in doing that kind of work seek professional assistance.

Unit plugs into the back of the CD changer port, so if you have an Ipod adapter, you lose that function. However what I did was install a cable in the AV input, and i run my music off that (as well as my ipod video for when I want to play vids from the ipod to the screen)

There is a USB port on the side - plug in a fat formatted usb drive with mp3', and the unit can play them on the unit.

DVD play back is not too bad. The screen quality (re: picture)is not too bad, but don't expect the same quality as the pionner/kenwood/alpine picture quality (but I ask you, why are you watching dvd's in your car, when you should driving it??? )

GPS function is pretty good - turn by turn instructions over music. The unit does rely on an FM modulator for the GPS function when you are using your radio to transmit, but i have not had any sound quality issues (compared to my axxess ipod adapter anyway).

The only real issue is that when it's sunny outside, the screen can get hard to view due to the glare. It's not so much the products fault, but more so the location of the installation. (as it's right up on the dash).

Map updates can be purchased from polaris, and comes in the form of a SD card (there is a slot on the left hand side, next to where the screen pops up).

The unit exterior's match to the dash is 'pretty' close, but you can tell the difference. (I have learnt to live with it - you can't expect it to match exactly as it's an aftermarket product).

If you have any further questions about the unit, PM me, or post on the forum.

In Summary, here are my scores (out of 5):

Music/sound output: 4
    Video quality: 3
    GPS function: 3.5 (would have been 4, without the unturn/unturn thing
    Overall product Quality: 3.5
    Install Instructions: 1.5 (it comes with a set, but is in "ching-lish", so some patience in required in reading and understanding)

3. Default

Thanks for the very detailed reply on the Ryda/Polaris unit.
    So are you saying to hear the GPS you have to tune your radio to the FM Modulator channel (ie. you can;t listen to radio and use GPS at the same time)?
    Does the DVD use the CD changer port but the GPS doesn't?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
    Thanks for the very detailed reply on the Ryda/Polaris unit.
    So are you saying to hear the GPS you have to tune your radio to the FM Modulator channel (ie. you can;t listen to radio and use GPS at the same time)?
    Does the DVD use the CD changer port but the GPS doesn't?
    Thanks
    1. FM modulator (from what i can tell) is used to communicate turn by turn, when you have the radio on. Not sure how it works when you play cd, but I get turn by turn instructions on both.

2. The whole unit relys on using the CD Changer port - it plugs in there, for power and speakers.

I also have the Caska/Polaris unit. I can't really add anything to 'mazda6mps' detailed writeup, except to let you know that the GPS 'voice' does not pronounce street names - it only indicates how far away the next street you need to take is (hope this makes sense).

I've had the unit in my car for 8 months and it has been faultless in operation. The screen graphics for GPS and other functions are not exactly cutting edge, but keeping in mind the price you pay for the unit, it represents excellent value.

Blog Entries

I know the Polaris one works well, saw it in Swallowtails old MPS 6 and it looked very factory.

Does Mazda have and sell a OEM GPS that goes into the MPS 6?

There is one but I don't know if you can get it in OZ.

I have a 7" touch screen in the same position as the 2 units mentioned but mine connects to a CarPC and runs Gramin MobilePC. Good set up if you don't mind waiting a little when you turn your car on for the PC to load. Runs all my MP3s, videos, ODBII stuff etc too

One thas not of Chinese origin

10. Default

hey guys..
    how does the interface with the original stereo work?? is the standard bose unit now useless?? need more info before i fork out this kinda money..any help is appreciated guys..cheers

11. Default

There are two plugs - one that goes into the back of the stock stereo unit where the CD Changer port is, the other is for the antenna connection. If you have an Ipod adapter that uses the CD Changer port, you won't be able to use this (unless you have the Axxess Ipod adapter, which uses the MD input).

There is a ground wire and a handbrake wire which need to be ground somewhere. Reversing wire needs to be spliced from somewhere - I used the multi core on the passenger side, and probe a few wires whilst the car was at Ign, with reverse engaged. Wiring the reversing camera is pretty straight forward. I used the reversing light power wire as my source, and ground it down the boot on an existing whole - used a screw that fit in there tight.

Standard bose unit still works, comes up as a CD changer - hit the button once, CD in the player plays, hit the button again, unit come active. Unit can also activate if you hit the 'on' button on the unit itself, whilst you in radio, or any other function the radio is on.

12. Default

Is it possible for a step by step DIY for a mazda 6 or is it better I get a specialized person to instal the unit. The manufacturer explained that it is plug n play but looking at my dash it seems to be that I would need to remove the existing display screen to get to the screws that attach the compartment.

Also how long should i be expecting it to take?

13. Default

It is plug and play, albeit you will have to remove the stereo to access the storage compartment that the gps/dvd player is replacing.

Just take off the glove box to access the screws for the stereo. Put your head under the dash (drivers side) to see the other set of screws. Once out, the process is rather easy! The display screen simply pops off and attaches into the base of the new unit.

14. Default

It's pretty easy if your handy with a screw driver and know some simple wiring/soldering technique.

Took me approx 1.5 hours to do the install. If you were in Melbourne, i could help you do it.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    It's pretty easy if your handy with a screw driver and know some simple wiring/soldering technique.

Took me approx 1.5 hours to do the install. If you were in Melbourne, i could help you do it.

Thanks guys

I'm an electrician so i shouldn't be too much of struggle as I've soldered cables before, and unfortunately I'm in Sydney. Btw is it possible to joining the handbrake cable to a common so that it could run DVD whilst driving? (I know its not recommended and possibly illegal). Just i have a wide collection of music video's I'd like to play in the car whilst driving.

16. Default

you just need to ground the wire somewhere on your chassis. I have mine ground on the side of the stereo via one of the mounting bolts, with an o-ring that I soldered and heat shrunk.

17. Default

Is there anyone is Sydney that has previously done this install before that may be able to assist me? I'm willing to travel.

18. Default

Oh man, what a pain it was installing mine (lol exaggeration). I wish I can fully remember how to do it. Where abouts do you live? I'm in Inner West. If you're close by I can come over.

BTW, I haven't installed any of the video/grounding cables. I just wanted it in asap as I was doing it at 11pm.
    Last edited by laser beam; 26-05-2011 at 01:16 PM.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by laser beam View Post
    Oh man, what a pain it was installing mine (lol exaggeration). I wish I can fully remember how to do it. Where abouts do you live? I'm in Inner West. If you're close by I can come over.

BTW, I haven't installed any of the video/grounding cables. I just wanted it in asap as I was doing it at 11pm.

Oh lol... i think I'm similar to you (wanting it asap), been trying to call a few places to see what they charge but everyone seems to be either booked out or wanting an arm and a leg. I'm based in Greenacre or Castle Hill, whichever may be closer. When u say you haven't installed any of the video/grounding cables does that mean your unit doesn't play DVDs or does it just mean that u can when the handbrake is up?

20. Default

Yeah can't play when the car is driving. Although I haven't even tried a DVD yet haha... too busy playing with the GPS and MP3 features. PM me if you decide to install it yourself. I work 10 minutes away from Greenacre, so can definitely give a hand.

Oh another btw, mine was simple plug and play. Didn't have to solder any of the wires. Hope yours is the same! Because I haven't soldered since year 12...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast