User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the lowest offset I can use to make my car look aggressive?

Default What is the lowest offset I can use to make my car look aggressive?

i want the concaved look, its hard to find rims that would fit.. hrm
    does anyone know what is the lowest offset i can go ? so i got something to work with, i know that my stock offset is +53 which sucks!

You can go to +38 with a 7" rim but the tyre will rub the inner gaurd if you lower your car by even 10mm.

Sensibly you can get 8" wide with min +50 offset up to about +42.

+50 offset and 8" wide will rub if you get coil-overs, because the bore is larger.

hrmm no good i guess i cant do much about it!

i think ill just get this ..
    Work Emotion XD9
    18x8.0 offset +45 .. i dont think ill have any problems with this right? hrm..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070520094661.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	1422  

5. Default

yeh they are nice ... and the size should be fine (same size/offset) as mine ... one thing though if the spokes come to the outside of the rim ie not a dishy type like this one, its going to look more curvy and bigger on your car

Quote Originally Posted by mickee View Post
    i think ill just get this ..
    Work Emotion XD9
    18x8.0 offset +45 .. i dont think ill have any problems with this right? hrm..
    IF they fit, your'e looking at roughly $500 per wheel, so that's around $2600 to $3000 for all wheels and (decent) tyres fitted.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Blog Entries

yeah but they are super hot though!!

8. Default

Isnt someone on OMC selling a set of them in black ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    You can go to +38 with a 7" rim but the tyre will rub the inner gaurd if you lower your car by even 10mm.
    The lowest legal offset is +40, +38 might be fine on a track, you won't be roadworthy on the streets though.

The +40 minimum is calculated according to how much you can overtrack the vehicle. Every 1mm lower offset increases the vehicle track by 2mm. You are allowed 25mm overtrack to meet roadworthy. So the minimum offset is +40 being 12.5mm difference in offset.

Stock offset is actually +52.5, not +53. Fitting +53 is technically unroadworthy as you are not permitted to undertrack the vehicle. +53 would reduce the track by 1mm.

With 8" wide rims and 235/40 you are likely to see rubbing. You should be fine at +45 with rolled gaurds.

i was planning to put 225/40 on em would they still rub? hope not! or should i get
    19x8.0?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickee View Post
    i was planning to put 225/40 on em would they still rub? hope not! or should i get
    19x8.0?
    225/40 less likely to rub, but most 8" wide fitments are going to see it at some point.

215/45R18 fitted to 18x8+48 is known to rub in rare circumstance.

Rolling gaurds not a big deal. I'd suggest running with either

(1)
    235/40R18 on 18x8 +50,+48, or +45
    +45 will be most prone to rubbing, +50 least

(2)
    235/35R19 on 19x8 +50, +48
    offset notes apply the same, but being 19x8 rim, the fitment will be more prone to rub than 18x8, so higher offsets better.

12. Default

Mickee even if you get rubbing, its no big deal just get your guards rolled, im sure there are reputable guard rolling places in Vic.

235/40 is much closer to stock rolling diameter and heaps heaps cheaper

225/40, what I have are an unusual size, I had to drive to another town (with my space saver) because no one in Bathurst had that size, 235/40 is much more common and is what commos and falcons run

hmmm i see.. ill probably stick to 18s then.. im going to order the auto exe front bar soon people! it released last week!

15. Default

When I chose my rims with an offset of +45 I had to make sure it was legal like Nexus said. I also had to estimate that the new offset won't screw up the scrub radius of the car.

Also bear in mind the the lower offset you go (and larger track) the more stress your wheels will put on the suspension linkages and they may wear out quicker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wyvernone View Post
    Also bear in mind the the lower offset you go (and larger track) the more stress your wheels will put on the suspension linkages and they may wear out quicker.
    This is why I consider +48 as an ideal offset for gen1 MPS; there are handling advantages to overtracking, but it's a trade-off and big overtracks stress these components.

At this point it is about where the inside edge of the tyre is sitting on the road compared to stock.

I've gone 225/45 @ +48 from 215/45 +52.5

I've moved the whole wheel and tyre outward 4.5mm
    I've added 10mm or rubber width. (+5mm either side of the centreline).

5mm - 4.5mm = 0.5mm

So the inside edge of the new tyre fitment sits 0.5mm futher in from the stock fitment; the inside scrub radius is very nearly stock.

+45 with the same tyre it sits 2.5mm further out.
    +42 and it's sitting 5.5mm further out.

5.5mm might not sound like much but the further out things sit the greater the levered load-bearing forces. so +45 and +42 really should have 235/40 fitted in terms of where the inside track sits, but these are fitments that need attention paid to avoid rubbing, and wider rubber also increases certain loadings.

235/40 was attractive to me but I went 225/45 @ +48 in order to be conservative; mechanical sympathy as much as anything else.

thanks for that answer,

can i get 18x8 +45, i don't have coil overs and the car is currently not lowered with stock suspension, however bilstein b8s and eibachs are also on the cards in the near future.

i will be getting a set of ADVAN RS in gunmetal, but am unsure of the best rubber fitments to retain the original rolling diameter, i do not want scrubbing under any circumstances and realize that the guards need to be rolled.

any help anyone can give would be great.

18. Default

you can get and fit nicely 18x8 + 45 best rubber to put on is 235/40/18 which is almost exactly the same sas original rolling diameter. Lots and Lots of tyre options in this size too with you paying between $250 and $300 for pretty good performance tyres in that size

does anyone know how much space 18x8 +45 that leaves on the suspension side ?

will it still rub with rolling of the guards ?

18x8 +45 will leave approx 5-6mm between the rim and strut. Enough to safe.

18x8 +45 will not rub on the gaurds with 215 or 225 tyres, even without rolling them. Mine aren't rolled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast