User Tag List

Thread: DIY: Top Mount Intercooler removal and clean

Post DIY: Top Mount Intercooler removal and clean

I take no responsibility for any loss or damage caused from following any of my DIY step by step walkthroughs. Jarreth.

DIY Removal and Clean of the Standard Top Mount Intercooler

1. Start by undoing the two bolts holding on the Plastic top cover-

2. Unclip the rear of the plastic cover by pulling upwards on it, then remove the cover and put it aside.

3. Next, there are 3 bolts that hold the intercooler in place, start by loosening all of the bolts to the same point and then remove

4. Then undo the clamp that holds on the rear intercooler pipe (note- it may be stuck on the rubber even when you have lossened it, try using a flat head screwdriver to gently lever the clamp away from the rubber bit by bit)

5. Once the clamp is off and you have pulled the intercooler metal pipe out from the rubber pipe the intercooler should begin to move around a bit more
    6. CHOOSE YOUR PATH - You can either choose the 'HARD' path like i did and take the intercooler off from the metal connector before the rubber front pipe OR choose the 'EASY' path and loosen the front lower intercooler pipe and remove the cooler from there.
    If so skip steps number 7 and 8. and refer to the pics below--

You'll have to undo the Blow off Valve and the rubber intercooler pipe below it.

7. Remove the four bolts like the picture below from the top intercooler metal pipe, make sure you keep the gasket safe and do not damage it!

8. The back 2 can be REALLY tricky, i found by propping up the intercooler with something soft (refer to photos) and then you can manipulate the intercooler a bit more when using a 10mm spanner to undo the bolts. (BE PATIENT)

9. Once all undone, It should look like this-

10. Grab something that wont go down the holes and clog up the two intercooler holes (i used old underpants! Worked a treat! )

11. Now begin cleaning out the intercooler, saturate the outside in degreaser

12. Rinse off with clean water (higher pressure than usual but not too high as it could bend the fins)

13.Repeat steps 11 and 12 until the outside of the intercooler has no oil, dust, grime left on it
    14. Now fill the intercooler full of degreaser starting from one end until it starts to pour out the other
    15. Clog both ends with something that will not let the water\degreaser out (Undies worked well again) and shake the intercooler vigorously
    16. Flush the intercooler out with water removing all the old degreaser\water mixture.
    17. Repeat the process from steps 14-16 a least twice, spraying the degreaser in alternate inlet holes each time
    18. Last mixture i used was degreaser, a small amount of mentholated spirits and water, then repeat steps 15-16
    19. Lastly flush the intercooler with clean water until fresh clean water begins to come from the opposite inlet pipe
    20. Check the intercooler core for 'bubbles' forming on\in the fins, If so, then there is still degreaser, metho throughout the intercooler!
    21. I found hanging the intercooler up and spraying water in and out of it, through it, round it, over it etc worked the best for me

22. Once you can not see anymore bubbles through the fins let the intercooler dry in the sun
    (I decided to wash and clean the top cover as it was a bit dirty and im anal lol )
    23. Once you have left it for half an hour grab the intercooler and shake it, you'll find alot of water will come out
    24. While your waiting for it to dry, start straightening up some of the fins

25. Again, wait half hour or so and shake out the intercooler
    27. Repeat steps 23-25
    28. Once the intercooler is dry you can start to re fit the unit to the car
    27. Start by refitting the rear rubber intercooler pipe, leave it loose for the time being
    28. Now if you went the 'HARD' way the next steps may be useful
    29. Prop the intercooler up from the rear again

30. Refit the gasket and insert one of the bolts to hold the gasket in place whilst fitting the front intercooler pipe
    31. Half tighten what bolts you can get to easily

32. [THIS WAS VERY TIGHT AND COULD BE DIFFICULT] The rear left bolt is tight, refer to the photos on how to perhaps get in there to get the bolt in, hand screw the bolt in first and then SQUEEZE your hand in there with the 10mm spanner to tighten up the bolt.

33. Tighten up all 4 bolts accordingly
    34. Remove the 'props' and Push the rear intercooler pipe all the way in, then re fit the 3 intercooler bolts as you took them out
    35. Re check all bolts before you refit the top cover
    36. Have a drink...

37.... DONE
    Last edited by nissanman; 13-10-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Nice write up.

Nice, but 1 issue.

I normally undo the hose clamp to the BOV return, the BOV vacuum line and the hose clamp to the throttle and remove the intercooler with the whole alum. inlet runner intact including BOV. There is less chance of damaging the gasket this way.

Hope this helps next time. Less knuckle damage too.

nice write up!

Nice set of detailed instructions. I def prefer the 'easy' method.

With the TMIC off it would also be a good time to stretch the springs in the coils, check the plug gap, do the TB coolant bypass mod, clean the sludge out of the intake, geez it's easy to get carried away freshening things up..........

Well done, still rather pay someone to do it for me.

Side point- TAKE NOTE OF HOW MUCH RUBBISH HAD BUILT UP ON THE INTERCOOLER ITSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post

With the TMIC off it would also be a good time to stretch the springs in the coils, check the plug gap, do the TB coolant bypass mod, clean the sludge out of the intake, geez it's easy to get carried away freshening things up..........
    Cheers.
    This whole process was just a quick thought and my dear wife helped take a few of the shots for the DIY.

Thats exactly what i would like to do next time, There actually wasn't much\well near ANY sludge in the intake pipes...

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Well done, still rather pay someone to do it for me.
    Every penny saved counts
    Last edited by nissanman; 13-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

8. Default

.. makes me wanna clean my radiator

Great write up, makes me want to do mine, as Mal said, will probably set aside the time and check the plugs too!

Two questions please (I've never played with intercoolers before, so have no idea, only flushed radiators) but is there any coolant loss when you do this? and when topping up coolant do we need to get all the air out of system?
    Thanks
    Chris

If you're just removing the TMIC it doesn't interfere with the cooling system. I probably threw you off track when I mentioned the TB coolant bypass, which is an easy mod that can apparently be done without any new parts. Haven't done it myself yet and it's not without controversy.

Blog Entries

Nice write up...good idea to give it a good clean as build up of anything would cause heat issues.

Just remember to let your engine cool before trying it I remember Corey and I trying to swap over TMIC and it was SUPER hot...bad move

Nice write up!!

How often would you recommend cleaning the intercooler? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Nice write up!!

How often would you recommend cleaning the intercooler? Thanks!
    I did the exact same to my 2000 model WRX. That was TERRIBLY DIRTY! It was black so hard to see on the outside if it was dirty but the amount of black water that got flushed out was crazy! I seen a noticeable difference in how long it took for the intercooler to heat up during city driving, much better when cleaned. Had done 120,000kms at that point, am unsure wether it had ever been cleaned out before that date.

MPS- I found it was mostly exterior dirt and grime that came off, a little bit of black water came out the first run of flushing but after that it really wasnt that bad. - this is was all done at approx 60,000kms on the MPS

Personally, every time you see dirt and leaves etc etc building up around the intercooler i would take the top cover off and clean the exterior of the rubbish on top but from what i can see after 60,000kms the interior grime wasn't too bad. So perhaps every 50,000kms or so it may be advisable to take it off and give it a clean out.
    Ill be re cleaning mine in about 20,000kms to see the damage

Great write up mate.

Will definitely keep this in mind...for about 4 years from now lol.

i need a side mount intercooler cleaning details lol

Hi ppl did a clean on the fmic today and change the plugs, while i wait for a couple of bolts for the diff mount, removed as 2XS mentioned with inlet runner with attached BOV. have add pic so you know exactly where i am talking about, cause i have oil not a great deal but enough to worry me. now that i am out of warranty... is it a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA042406s.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	2489  

Good write-up and pics. I figure it's way easier to avoid uncoupling the intercooler outlet pipe flange and just take it off with the intercooler as a single unit. Saves the difficult reach behind the flange to the back bolts and the possibility of messing up the flange gasket. And the orientation of the resulting open plumbing is not so inviting to foreign objects falling directly in. Also, when removing the plastic TMIC cover, move it BACK 1-2cm before lifting it up and clear or you will bend or break the smell metal tab that secures it at the rear edge.

Rule 1 when undertaking this job is to ensure no bits, especially metal ones, get dropped down any open plumbing, and to seal everything up when not working on it with clean rags. And don't forget to check that no rag is left inside plumbing before reconnecting it all. Sounds silly, but I've seen rags pulled out of turbos and throttle bodies before now.

In Perth, it's amazing how much sand and grit finishes up being ingested through the bonnet scoops and lodging in the intercooler (in the case of TMIC's or the airfilter for those with FMIC's like me). One thing I routinely do every time I open the bonnet is clean all crap off the rubber gasket that seals the air intake against the intercooler or airfilter cover, and from the flat mating surface of the cover itself. All those little coarse granules will slowly grind away your plastic shroud (you can see the vibration chafe) and also do not enable a perfect seal to be achieved.

CHRIS (Shakepeare), the intercooler is an air-to-air heat exchanger, not liquid-to-air (as exemplified by your engine cooling system). As KMH001 states, there is no connectivity with the liquid engine cooling system.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 22-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i'd like to hear more about this TB collant bypass mod, what is it and how is it done?

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post

Still wondering here about "coil spring stretching"... could someone please explain?

AND the "TB coolant bypass mod"????

Thanks in advance.

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left