User Tag List

Thread: Large thud from 1st to 2nd under acceleration

Default Large thud from 1st to 2nd under acceleration

Hi all.... hoping some of you can help with some advice. Straight up... I am no mechanic. In fact, while I consider myself a pretty good driver, when it comes to going under the hood I am rather naive. ok, now to my my question...

I own a new next gen MPS3 (and love it). I have over 5000km on the clock. About a week ago I was at the lights along side a 'P' plater in his Commodore and when he gunned it (just a straight V6) and couldn't let it go. So I accelerated hard in first and quick shifted to 2nd (and kicked his butt!). But upon doing this a loud thud/bang happened. It came from the front left hand side wheel. I assumed it was a rock or piece of wood I hit and just didn't see (it was on dusk). I eventually thought nothing of it.

So yesterday I had a similar situation to the above (a guy was being a jerk flying through traffic and cutting in and out, including cutting me off). So at the lights I decided to get in front of him before it went back to 1 lane. Again, I accelerated hard in first and quick shifted to 2nd. And again, upon doing this a loud thud/bang came from the front left hand side wheel!

Is this an issue? Do you suspect it is just me changing gears too quick? Is it just the LSD/tracking control kicking in for a sec? Or is this something I should be talking to Mazda about (in which case, telling them how to recreate it may not be in my interest ).

Any advice/help appreciated!!
    Last edited by RedMPS; 12-10-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    I own a red one

Hey mate, have a chat with them for sure, I think it could be the Traction Control kicking it.

In my old SP23, if I gunned it off the lights (one set in particular here in Brisy, Cav Rd & Old Clevetown Road) the road is a bit uneven, and it used to have a god almighty THUD in 2nd too.

Did you happen to notice the little amber flashy light saying you lost traction?

no, I didn't notice the traction control light. I'll pay more attention though if I am in such a situation again.... thanks!

if i gun it first to second and change at high revs most time there is a loud bang.. i hardly ever do this as it does put a lot of stress on gearbox,diffs etc

my dc5r used to have a loud band first to second under heavy load as well..

Doesn't sound normal to me I would get it looked at things do loosen up when new, like my rear sway bar had to be re tighten. Ring them up and book it in.... first look at the traction control light but I don't get any noises out of mine when it's flashing I had smoke from the tyres in 3rd gear and lights flashing and still no noises....

Thanks guys. In my old Commodo SV8 I used to just quick shift in 2nd and get the wheels squealing. I think I am maybe doing the same thing... dumping it too hard (too much load) by trying to change so quickly.
    Last edited by RedMPS; 12-10-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMPS View Post
    Thanks guys. In my old Commodo SV8 I used to just quick shift in 2nd and get the wheels squealing. I think I am maybe doing the same thing... dumping it too hard (too much load) by trying to change so quickly.
    yep if you change quickly you are more likely to get a thud.. if i change slowly even if i rev it to 5/6k and there will be no thud/bang..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

Hey RedMPS, definitely get it looked at, but have you tried the hard acceleration with the traction control off? If it stops then could be the T/C being over zealous when slip is detected, my MPS6 behaves and shifts better with the T/C off, still worth gettting looked at though!