User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade MPS for S2000

1. Default Trade MPS for S2000

Am just thinkin out loud here.... who would think its an upgrade going from an 08 MPS to a 99 or 00 S2K with about 70K on the clock... I'm thinking of doing a trade in at dealer.I know this is a mazda forum but has anyone driven both cars and can give me an unbiast opinion as to how they handel/drive compared to each other... As fast as the MPS really is I'm starting to miss havin the WOW factor in a car and the thrills of straight line speed is wearing out quickly.

Thanks guys

Tough one, big decision good luck with it...

a mate of mine has one and its supercharged and omg let me tell you..its a bullit. handling is awesome. Only downside is the interior space and seat adjustability. If your a taller guy your gonna be in trouble. My head has about an inch and a half gap from the roof closed.

I haven't driven an S2000, but from the specs they are a relatively high strung NA 4 2 door convertible. I know of another manufacturer that makes THE most successful sports car in the world.....mazda, of course referring to the MX-5

Now i have driven one of those, and it creams an MPS for feedback, response and other things. You could probably pick up a fairly new shape with low Kays for the same cost as an s2000, with alot less to worry about running costs. I don't know what the aftermarket mod scene is like though.

Just a thought

I have a feeling that you'll think the S2000 is quite slow in day-to-day driving compared to the MPS, the power in an MPS is available pretty early...S2000 ya gotta wait for VTEC yo!

What's "wow" factor mean to you? Speed, handling, other people looking at your car and saying "wow"? All depends on what you're after in a car as to if it's a good move or not. It wouldn't be on my list of swaps for the MPS, but that's just my opinion.

I wouldnt say 'upgrade'remember the 2 cars are definatly in a diffrent class to each other!
    it would be hard to compare them, the mps can be more of a daily, its got space, power,
    and comfort, s2000 is a 2 seater(like duh) and im guessing is more labour intensive to drive esspesally waiting for the VTEC YO at 5000rpm!!
    other options here are the mx-5, integra, rx8, mini S, or s15!

7. Default

Thanks for all the response guys... let me provide some background into how all this has come about.... about 7 days ago a good friend of mine went out and imported a 2001 RX7 RS ! we've been fairly good buddies for a while now so he let me take it out on my own one day this weekend and let me tell u, the experience was in a different world to driving the MPS around. As great as the MPS is for the money you pay, with the RX-7, i felt like I was driving something special that not many ppl have... a real sports car. It also looked as close as ur gonna get to a exotic car without owning an exotic car. It definetely turned heads everywhere I drove it, and dont even get me started on how that thing handels ! lol it just pulls all the way to 8K and feels like its on rails. Now I'm not saying I want a car just to show off with, but the RX7 is a far cry from when I first got the MPS and copped comments like "ohh u spent 30 grand on a second hand mazda 3 ! " or " ohh whyd u buy that girly car for ". now we all know these things pull hard and handel fairly well as well but I think I just want something that stands out a little more. I would get an RX7 but unfrotunetly I am a tall person and my knees tend to hit the wheel when coming off the clutch so it aint all that comfortable. I find it the same with the MX5, its just too small for me. The S2000 has more seat adjustment to move back and my legs fit in there fairly well I think and head room doesnt seem to be a problem for me. Other option are RX8 but for some reason my heads hits the roof in that car and the Integra is just too common. I would rather just keep the MPS.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Btw Just out of curiosity, the RX-8 is also still in the running if I get a miodel with no sunroof as I think the roof line is a little higher... how do u guys think the RX8 compares to the MPS ?? power wise ? reliability ? resale value etc...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pilotb777 View Post
    Thanks for all the response guys... let me provide some background into how all this has come about.... about 7 days ago a good friend of mine went out and imported a 2001 RX7 RS ! we've been fairly good buddies for a while now so he let me take it out on my own one day this weekend and let me tell u, the experience was in a different world to driving the MPS around. As great as the MPS is for the money you pay, with the RX-7, i felt like I was driving something special that not many ppl have... a real sports car. It also looked as close as ur gonna get to a exotic car without owning an exotic car. It definetely turned heads everywhere I drove it, and dont even get me started on how that thing handels ! lol it just pulls all the way to 8K and feels like its on rails. Now I'm not saying I want a car just to show off with, but the RX7 is a far cry from when I first got the MPS and copped comments like "ohh u spent 30 grand on a second hand mazda 3 ! " or " ohh whyd u buy that girly car for ". now we all know these things pull hard and handel fairly well as well but I think I just want something that stands out a little more. I would get an RX7 but unfrotunetly I am a tall person and my knees tend to hit the wheel when coming off the clutch so it aint all that comfortable. I find it the same with the MX5, its just too small for me. The S2000 has more seat adjustment to move back and my legs fit in there fairly well I think and head room doesnt seem to be a problem for me. Other option are RX8 but for some reason my heads hits the roof in that car and the Integra is just too common. I would rather just keep the MPS.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Btw Just out of curiosity, the RX-8 is also still in the running if I get a miodel with no sunroof as I think the roof line is a little higher... how do u guys think the RX8 compares to the MPS ?? power wise ? reliability ? resale value etc...

Thanks
    RX8 & RESALE dont go ! good to buy a rx8 now tho as the 03/04 model has lost value and can be brought for as little as 25k..

i paid 37.5k in march 07 for a 2004 rx8 wih 60k

sold it 18 month later for 27.5 (picked my mps6 with 10,000 less for $28250 )

To be honest you cant compare a 'hot hatch' to a sports car like rx7 or s2000.. remember the rx7/s2k are 10 years old..

IF you are to buy a rx8 try and get a 06+ most of the bugs from older year where fixed up..

do your research on http://www.rx8club.com.au/forum
    Last edited by kovmps6; 12-10-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kovmps6 View Post
    RX8 & RESALE dont go ! good to buy a rx8 now tho as the 03/04 model has lost value and can be brought for as little as 25k..

i paid 37.5k in march 07 for a 2004 rx8 wih 60k

sold it 18 month later for 27.5 (picked my mps6 with 10,000 less for $28250 )

To be honest you cant compare a 'hot hatch' to a sports car like rx7 or s2000.. remember the rx7/s2k are 10 years old..

IF you are to buy a rx8 try and get a 06+ most of the bugs from older year where fixed up..

do your research on RX8 Club Australia • Index page

Bugger... u think a 3 MPS will hold its value better than an RX8 ? they seem to be dropping value just as fast.

The S2000's on the other hand have done very well value wise I think... They seem to be hovering at the low 30's for a good example

mps good for straight line!!
    rx8 well i wont keep up.. but it will in the corners!! and comfortsbly too!!
    i think if the mps in theee best condition you might get a good buck...!!
    otherwise keep it untill ur prepared to sell,... for a price!!

Cool Mps can turn heads !!!!

The mps is in standard livery a "sleeper " car and that has it,s appeal to some and that's fine ,but i took a different approach like you i didn,t want a car that looked just like a thousand other mazda 3,s

If you decide to keep the mps here are some suggestions
    1. 18x8 roh modular 3 piece race wheels centre,s can be colour coded unique and very individual with yokahama s drive tyre,s will also give a massive gain in handling .
    2. highlight in a different colour some of the plain blak panels on your mps
    3. an mps with a sri intake/pod filter/ bov and exhaust will sound so exotic and turn heads before anybody even see,s your car not to mention the kw gain
    4. to complete the on rails handling package i recommend k-sport coil-overs
    5. you will get noticed and your mps will be the complete package in looks handling and performance trust me .
    All of the above can be purchased from mps club member 2XS /MPSGARAGE and BJ T MARTS
    hope this helps
    Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Tough one, big decision good luck with it...
    Dirty spammer

touche pockets

I do it too lol

i think you will be happy with the S2000 until a slightly moded MPS woops your ass.. then when you think.. hmmm i need to boost this bad boy.. realise how much its going to cost to get it done properly.. then cry and wish you had the MPS back....

But if you want chiks to look and go fully hektic cobertable ulaaaaaa.. then go the S2000

16. Default

I knowwwwwwwwwww I did actually test drive the S2000 once ages ago when I used to have an accord euro and I think my accord felt quicker.. on the flip side the gear shits in that thing is nutsssss ! and it did turn heads...

arghhhhh if only there was a hot roadster like the S2K with a bit of grunt to match ! no one makes fun sexy cars anymore ! those days seem to be long gone

Cool Young chicks talk to me all the time !!!!

Come to Cairns ill take u 4 a cruise in MADAZ how many chicks would u like ? ask PAULG
    Col

18. Default

I think I just want something that stands out a little more.
    so you want something that would most likely get stolen or want to get carjacked?

i couldnt drive my wrx for a while because there was a person getting car jacked every week for about two months near where i live

and if you do get an rx7, i hope you dont park it anywhere near the city in sydney, because they have a habbit of disappearing very quickly

I knowwwwwwwwwww I did actually test drive the S2000 once ages ago when I used to have an accord euro and I think my accord felt quicker.. on the flip side the gear shits in that thing is nutsssss ! and it did turn heads...

arghhhhh if only there was a hot roadster like the S2K with a bit of grunt to match ! no one makes fun sexy cars anymore ! those days seem to be long gone
    thats because the euro would have been quicker unless you are boucing around on the vtak all the time in the s2000

i dont think they were looking at the car because it looked hot, but they wanted to see who the douche was driving it, not calling you a douche personally, so hope you dont get offended

i get s2gays, or s2ks, who want to race my girly shopping trolley all the time, but for some reason, they always feel they have to run a red light just to do a flybuy, maybe they're embarassed?

vtek, so much drama, but no results

i would rather pick an rx7 or s15 so at least you can back up the attention that you are after

but at least with an s2000, the car isnt going to get stolen unlike the imports

A hot drop top with power to match that gets attention? How about you try a 65-68 mustang. Sound fantastic and can go damn hard plus you will get much more attention the a s2k anyday.

Best chance for a soft top with power is an old muscle as the new ones are just weak. But that's my 2c worth

mps convertable :drool:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast