User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade MPS for S2000

Quote Originally Posted by pilotb777 View Post
    Am just thinkin out loud here.... who would think its an upgrade going from an 08 MPS to a 99 or 00 S2K with about 70K on the clock... I'm thinking of doing a trade in at dealer.I know this is a mazda forum but has anyone driven both cars and can give me an unbiast opinion as to how they handel/drive compared to each other... As fast as the MPS really is I'm starting to miss havin the WOW factor in a car and the thrills of straight line speed is wearing out quickly.

Thanks guys

I'll give you a perspective over the last 4 cars I've owned. It's interesting because along the way you learn different things by way of comparison.

1997 WRX
    2004 RX8
    2005 Integra Type-S
    2007 MX5 (current)

The WRX was worked and fun for what it was, but was ultimately uninspiring. The RX8 was smooth as butter and sounded amazing to drive. I had forgotten what RWD felt like and it was awesome. In the end, I felt the performance didn't match the petrol guzzling and it went. The Integra was interesting in that even though it was FWD, it was surprisingly razor sharp. It had enough power (154kw) for a FWD and was well balanced. All jokes aside, VTEC is awesome, its highly addictive and very clever in simplicity. It had to go for a few reasons, financial was one. Shoot to now, the Mx5. By far the lowest powered....but by far the most fun! The feedback, handling, balance, chuckability and one-ness are very hard to match, and I place a huge amount of emphasis on these things. Actually the power to weight is more than enough, but if were younger I might crave for a smidgin more, but seriously, it doesn't need it.

For me, it's not hard to imagine what a wonderful car the S2000 would be; 177kW PLUS RWD makes my mouth water, but it's not every ones cup of tea. The two obvious downsides are; 1. high revving is almost a requisite and 2. live-ability in a convertible if your tall. As for reliability, at last count Honda was up to like 15m engines worldwide with not one reported engine failure from factory (un-moddified).

In your case, you are going from torque monster FWD to a high revving RWD car. Very different. Upgrade or downgrade is an irrelevance, you need to be in the car you love. If your going down the S2000 path, you'll have to work it a lot more, but then to me, that's what driving is all about.
    Last edited by lucifuge; 12-10-2009 at 06:40 PM.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

it does look nice

Quote Originally Posted by rfzd View Post
    A hot drop top with power to match that gets attention? How about you try a 65-68 mustang. Sound fantastic and can go damn hard plus you will get much more attention the a s2k anyday.

Best chance for a soft top with power is an old muscle as the new ones are just weak. But that's my 2c worth
    +1 If you just want a soft top that goes hard and looks cool, old US Muscle is worth a look.

I had a think about some other cars worth looking at before I'd even consider a S2000.

- R34 Skyline
    - Supra
    - S6-S8 RX7 (as previously mentioned)
    - S15
    - Monaro (yep...these would be a very good buy now)
    - Evo
    - STi
    etc...

R34 and Monaro I can agree with!
    Didnt even think about that..
    Dont forget you could also look at a BF Xr6 Turbo

what about a twin turbo, awd, all wheel steer, 2 door, 2 seater, targa top, Z32 300ZX, or if you have a bit of money a 350Z or even a 370Z

350Z is a good call, forgot them.

i dont think we're heading up that far will have to see, im far from incharge of the trip lol

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    +1 If you just want a soft top that goes hard and looks cool, old US Muscle is worth a look.

I had a think about some other cars worth looking at before I'd even consider a S2000.

- R34 Skyline
    - Supra
    - S6-S8 RX7 (as previously mentioned)
    - S15
    - Monaro (yep...these would be a very good buy now)
    - Evo
    - STi
    etc...

I forgot to mention price range lol I'm thinking the MPS is worth maybe 27-28K trade in judging by what redbook says.. maybe a bit less or a bit more but I dont wana put too much more outta my pocket so max price for me would be to trade in for something worth about 30K... out of that list the Evo and STI stand out the most but a good exmaple is $$$ !

I did briefly look at an integra Type S as well... might go see whats around with those as well

do you like targa tops or just full soft tops?

10. Default

hmmm I dont really mind... but from what I can think of most targa tops r fairly dated now and I didnt wana get anything too old.. a 99 or 2000 S2K is pushing the limits of how old I would go really...

the S2000 is a nice looking car, Id just mod the mps though

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pockets View Post
    the S2000 is a nice looking car, Id just mod the mps though
    u know what... just goin through this with everyone here, and lookin at all the cars out there, I'm finding it REALLY hard to find anything with MPS performance but a little more flashy for a similar price

i dont own one but i wouldnt mind having one, just make it your own, mod like theres no tomorrow lol

Quote Originally Posted by pilotb777 View Post
    I forgot to mention price range lol I'm thinking the MPS is worth maybe 27-28K trade in judging by what redbook says.. maybe a bit less or a bit more but I dont wana put too much more outta my pocket so max price for me would be to trade in for something worth about 30K... out of that list the Evo and STI stand out the most but a good exmaple is $$$ !

I did briefly look at an integra Type S as well... might go see whats around with those as well
    They were all options for around $30k, give or take a couple of grand.

Examples...

Lancer Evo 8 $30.5k

2 door WRX STi V5 ~$30k

Bugeye WRX STI ~$26k

04 WRX STi ~$32k

Monaro CV8R $29.5k

350Z Track $27.5k

BMW M3 E36 $28k

There's heaps of different cars available around that price, spend some time on Carsales and have a bit of a look around to get a feel for what's out there, you might stumble upon something...

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Forogt to mention....Integra Type S??? Put down the crack pipe You would be totally underwhelmed in that after having the MPS.

15. Default

what u guys think of this thing ?? its not a track model and maybe I can bargin on the price a bit, but what u guys think of this compared to the S2000 ??

2003 NISSAN 350Z Z33 Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    ....Integra Type S??? Put down the crack pipe You would be totally underwhelmed in that after having the MPS.

Agreed. S2000 has enough power and performance though.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Agreed. S2000 has enough power and performance though.
    Also agreed.

That 350Z convertible you might be able to get for ~$33k.

Can I ask why so keen on the soft tops?

i was wondering that too, their not as rigid as a hardtop so its not going to have as good performance anyway

Blog Entries

just my 2 cents but the s2000 has gotten a bit of a "ricer" tag...

Neither to me scream "fast"

that was a quick car but for as much as he suposedly spent on it, id just buy a lambo lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast