User Tag List

Thread: Microfibre this & that

Default Microfibre this & that

I have read on here to resist the cheaper microfibre clothes etc, and you get what you pay for.

But can someone explain to me the justification of a $11 cloth and a $5 cloth. Both microfibre. Is it all about hype, I mean in the old days didn't we all use old clothes to polish??

Is it just clever marketing?

The reason I ask is that I'm building up a detailing box of goodies, so I welcome all thoughts.

BTW I purchased both the $5 & $11 clothes and buggered if I can tell the differance
    Last edited by PerthMPS; 11-10-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Timbo

14 Mazda BT50 xt Boss Kit
    13 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    10 VR 3 Neo
    08 CX9 Luxury (sold)
    09 VR 3 MPS Luxury (sold)

in the old days there was no tv either ??????????

Actually just checking out ZAS website and there is another example... worlds best clay bar $48 or so and the ZAS bar is $19 or so.

I want to do a quality job, but it all adds up.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    in the old days there was no tv either ??????????
    Dont get me wrong Im not some old fuddy duddy saying "in my time" (in old timers voice)

I want to use these new products, but need to understand value for monies with them.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------
    Timbo

14 Mazda BT50 xt Boss Kit
    13 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    10 VR 3 Neo
    08 CX9 Luxury (sold)
    09 VR 3 MPS Luxury (sold)

well the difference in microfibre cloths is in the manufacturing. Each manufacturer will commit R&D to get the tightest weave with the most strong yet flexible material. This is where the cost comes into it i would assume.

Are you personally going to be able to tell the difference? Probably not, but if you invest in a more expensive bit of kit then there is the possiblity it will last you longer, especially if you are making up a lil kit package thing.

My 2 Cents

Like a lot of things in this world..."You get what you pay for".

I have some cheaper microfibre and some more expensive. They both do the job but the more $$ ones have lasted longer, and tend to be a bit more plush.

Softer weave means less chance of scratching, and the longer they last, the less it costs you in the long run.

Personally, pay now to save later.

i sell the MF cloths!
    yeh they are expensive, but for the good ones!
    Autobarn will sell them in packs of 5 i think for $14
    but the quality is well not fantastic.
    you need to get the thicker ply cloths they hold more and get a better buffed result.
    *Also never tubmle dry or use fabric sftner on them as this destroyes the intracate weave designed to protect the cars paint!!*

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Like a lot of things in this world..."You get what you pay for".

I have some cheaper microfibre and some more expensive. They both do the job but the more $$ ones have lasted longer, and tend to be a bit more plush.

Softer weave means less chance of scratching, and the longer they last, the less it costs you in the long run.

Personally, pay now to save later.
    What he said. By the way, I tumble dry my microfibre on regular heat and I'm still using the same cloths from over 18 months ago.

Microfibre can be compared to bed sheets as far as quality is concerned. Go and take a look at the different "thread counts" on different sheets. Cheap ones have bugger all material and feel cheap. Expensive ones will have a high thread count and feel nice.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

I should also mention regarding the Clay bars...

Our ZAS Clay Bars we import direct ourselves. No huge mark up. Just a fair price.

As for the World's Best bars...they purchase from the distributor, sell them to us and then we sell them to you. The mark up has already been placed before we even touch them. They are a relabel of the clay from Clay Magic. Just that name alone makes them expensive.

i didnt know any of this, it helps you decide what to buy

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMPS View Post
    I have read on here to resist the cheaper microfibre clothes etc, and you get what you pay for.

But can someone explain to me the justification of a $11 cloth and a $5 cloth. Both microfibre. Is it all about hype, I mean in the old days didn't we all use old clothes to polish??

Is it just clever marketing?

The reason I ask is that I'm building up a detailing box of goodies, so I welcome all thoughts.

BTW I purchased both the $5 & $11 clothes and buggered if I can tell the differance
    Good question.

Like Joel said its similar to bed sheets but instead of thread count, its like a split thread count. The better quality the more the microfibers are split and the softer they are. I read that an old t-shirt can be equivelent to 3000 grit sandpaper. To feel the difference between a good MF and a poor one buy a waffle weave from super cheap and then one from Zas and see if you can see the difference when dryng the car

Ive also noticed that the cheaper MF's after a few washes lose their plushness

Hope that helps
    マツダスピード

all point above are too true!!