User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6MPS- Clutch slipping! Warranty? 61,000kms

Cheers. I searched around and MPS GARAGE only offer the button clutch.. Like you mentioned, not something i want to run. I had a stage 1 Heavy Duty MRT clutch in my WRX, loved it, had a bit more clamping pressure but it could also still take some light slip.

Ill check out the ACT Clutch, Thanks.

Do you expect the OEM new clutch to slip under take offs at about 2,500rpm? (eg. 2,500rpm launch, NOT dump, but launch)

Cheers guys

It's a bit of a loose-loose situation with the stock clutch. If you launch up to about 4000 rpm you can end up with a clutch bbq. If you dump it at 4000 rpm or more there's no clutch slip but you risk breaking an axle or diff mount. You can imagine the stresses involved in accelerating a 1600 kg car from 0 to 30 kmh in 0.1 of a second.

Speaking of broken axles, make sure the DSC is OFF when attempting any kind of launch. The traction control has been responsible for breaking over 50 left rear MPS6 axles that I know of, including one of mine.

It's always the left rear axle that breaks because the diff mount design is flawed. An upgraded rear diff mount on its own is not a solution because the diff has two planes of movement and a rear mount only tightens up one of those planes. To make the rear end bullet proof you would need an upgraded rear diff mount, plus the Turbine Tech front diff mount, plus a beefed up left rear axle.

The cheaper alternative is to strap the diff on both sides with a pair of ratchet straps, which is dodgey, but it works to some extent. It gets the power to the ground so much better and provides a small amount of protection against axle breakage. The down side is that the abrasive surface of the diff housing will wear through the straps relatively quickly.

Gone to Volvo

Nice pics lol

CHeers,
    I have mucked around with the DSC a little bit but not too much, thanks heaps for the info

Well, the dealer has not called me this morning as promised.. Time to make the call.

Cheers

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Nice pics lol

CHeers,
    I have mucked around with the DSC a little bit but not too much, thanks heaps for the info

Well, the dealer has not called me this morning as promised.. Time to make the call.

Cheers
    Mazda will try and get out of it any way they can ! Its quite a expensive job..

Its going to be intresting to see what happens you could have the same issue i did because of the kms and they fob it of as a wear and tear issue

I had new car warranty and you have that and the 3 month dealer warranty..

I went as far as talking to consumer affairs and writing a letter to the service manager didnt even bother calling me back..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

Ok so APPARENTLY none of the managers could fault the car...
    They said the smell is still apparent after each drive though...
    They then said that the smell is not clutch and it is in fact a 'PLASTIC' burning smell that Mazda warranty must look at and not Peter Page Holden...

I offered to pick the car up and drop it off when the clutch gets that bad that it interfeers with flat suburban driving and said ill go to Mazda to get the 'plastic' smell looked at..lol.
    I rang Mazda just now and they just laughed and said the smell coming from my car is defiantly clutch smell, i said when the clutch gets really bad and the smell gets worse can i bring it in just before it take it to PPH so you guys can check the smell once again. He was happy to help

So, let us see how we go for the next week or so lol

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kovmps6 View Post
    Mazda will try and get out of it any way they can ! Its quite a expensive job..

Its going to be intresting to see what happens you could have the same issue i did because of the kms and they fob it of as a wear and tear issue

I had new car warranty and you have that and the 3 month dealer warranty..

I went as far as talking to consumer affairs and writing a letter to the service manager didnt even bother calling me back..
    I work with clients all day, if i dont call them back when they ask or when they leave a message, i lose clients and credibility,, how hard is a phone call to make when its your job and you made a promise to call your client at a certain time... (well thats my cry for the day lol )

Cheers
    Last edited by nissanman; 21-10-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Ok so APPARENTLY none of the managers could fault the car...
    They said the smell is still apparent after each drive though...
    They then said that the smell is not clutch and it is in fact a 'PLASTIC' burning smell that Mazda warranty must look at and not Peter Page Holden...

I offered to pick the car up and drop it off when the clutch gets that bad that it interfeers with flat suburban driving and said ill go to Mazda to get the 'plastic' smell looked at..lol.
    I rang Mazda just now and they just laughed and said the smell coming from my car is defiantly clutch smell, i said when the clutch gets really bad and the smell gets worse can i bring it in just before it take it to PPH so you guys can check the smell once again. He was happy to help

So, let us see how we go for the next week or so lol

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

I work with clients all day, if i dont call them back when they ask or when they leave a message, i lose clients and credibility,, how hard is a phone call to make when its your job and you made a promise to call your client at a certain time... (well thats my cry for the day lol )

Cheers
    same here i work for a major diesel engine company and its imperative that our staff call customers back.. nothign worse when someone says they will call you and they dont i know i hate it when it happens to me..

very easy to lose customers in these economic hard times..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

Car booked back in for next Tuesday to get the 'slip test' conducted and if it fails then they will install a new clutch........
    It look a good half hour on the phone to get them to finally realize that im not going to quit and walk away....

BTW. No idea what they think a "SLIP TEST" is...

Im guessing they load the clutch up in a high gear..... ? lol

Got the call today from Peter Page Holden...

"We have ordered the clutch and flywheel from Melbourne and it will be here tomorrow, you shall have your car back by friday fitted with the new clutch "

Too easy.
    Note to self, PERSIST. Somewhat kick up a stink whilst still being nice enough though.

Hope this helps others out there

Cheers

Good result. Now be sure to avoid those sloppy launches that result in lots of clutch slip.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Good result. Now be sure to avoid those sloppy launches that result in lots of clutch slip.
    For sure. I plan to REALLY take extra care with this one.

One thing though, If it slips on hard take offs (ie launched at 2,500-3000rpm) i am going to be a little annoyed as you would really expect the stock clutch (and brand new) to be able to take the standard torque surely?!?!

Cheers

11. Default

Good job, hope they fix it properly and not cause other dramas esp since its not Mazda that is doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by t4orce View Post
    Good job, hope they fix it properly and not cause other dramas esp since its not Mazda that is doing the job.
    Very true,
    Im waiting to get the car back and find something not done or something scratched etc etc.

Actually, they did know about it having a dual mass flywheel and ordered a new one... I was quite amazed to tell you the truth.

UPDATE:

still haven't got my car back, THE SERVICE MANAGER SAID, they didn't tension the flywheel bolts properly so apparently the clutch pedal was so stiff it took 2 legs to push it down.. So they have dropped the box AGAIN and re done the flywheel bolts and i can pick it up today...

All i thought was wow, thats kind of a big thing to miss... not doing up the flywheel bolts properly... Ive done a clutch myself in my old S12.. That was one the things i made sure i torqued correctly!

Default Huge update!

Ok so i picked up the car lastnight from Peter Page Holden (the used car dealer the car was bought from) The clutch and flywheel had been replaced.
    Cutting a long story short...
    I drive off and noticed that the gear selection for 2nd, 4th and 6th was really stiff. (the only way to describe it is its like getting a metal pole in between two pieces of rubber the having to force the pole in between the rubber)
    So i went back and they 'assured' me that it was normal for a 'race type' gearbox and it should get a better through driving it.
    Well it hasn't, its still like that after 50kms

Next problem- They made me aware of a 'bearing noise' that became evident. I said it never used to have a bearing noise but she assured me that its just a pulley and Mazda should replace it..

As i was driving back to Bridgewater my beloved home the 'noise' got louder and louder and louder. I went straight to JARRET MAZDA (They were a HUGE help!!!)

So Mazda found this-
    1. A die grinder disc sitting in the engine bay just near all the pulleys etc!
    THIS IS THE BIG ONE 2. Grease splattered all in the drivers side gaurd, over all entire inside of the rim, all over the brake, suspension and everywhere else you could think of over there!!!

Looks like they have damaged the cv boot when putting in the input shaft or something similar.

After some very heated and long discussion Peter Page Holden are going to let me take it to Mazda this Friday and for them to look and fix it accordingly and bill Peter page holden directly.

I tell ya, nothing but a headache. Luckily i went to the top, spoke to the head operations manager and he was more than happy to do ANYTHING to help me.... Funny that

Cheers

Wow, was a huge update!!!

What I find amazing is these places actually operate like this and probably perform sub-standard work frequently, when some "poor unsuspecting customer" (PUC) comes back in and complains of grease leaking from somewhere, they probably say, "oh, you've split a CV boot and damaged the CV joint, we'll fix it but it's going to cost you...." so the PUC, who has no knowledge of cars and needs their car for transport coughs up and pays for the workshop's sloppy standards!

Well done nissanman in your quest to get this resolved, I'm one for not accepting poor performance/service so kudos to you for being persistent

Hopefully it will be fixed with no more dramas, looking forward to Adelaide next year and following you along some of your cool roads there
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Wow, was a huge update!!!

What I find amazing is these places actually operate like this and probably perform sub-standard work frequently, when some "poor unsuspecting customer" (PUC) comes back in and complains of grease leaking from somewhere, they probably say, "oh, you've split a CV boot and damaged the CV joint, we'll fix it but it's going to cost you...." so the PUC, who has no knowledge of cars and needs their car for transport coughs up and pays for the workshop's sloppy standards!

Well done nissanman in your quest to get this resolved, I'm one for not accepting poor performance/service so kudos to you for being persistent

Hopefully it will be fixed with no more dramas, looking forward to Adelaide next year and following you along some of your cool roads there
    Cheers mate, Its been a headache thats for sure. But hopefully by Monday the MPS will be on the road again. ONLY HAD IT FOR 3 MONTHS to this day in fact

Well would be delighted to go through some pretty hills roads with everyone.... just hope the cars working kidding. Im sure it will be fine. 60k on the clock surely this will be the last of my worries.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Default Same same

First time user so go easy, but was looking around the web for similar information and found you guys.

I'm having the exact same problem, but the clutch has gone after 32,000 kms!!!! Well not totally gone, but starting to slip, and like nissanman, only occasionally. The car is bought second hand but I knew the guy who drove it from new, and lets just say he is an old man driver and runs his kids around in it. Not one to take it to the track, or race people off the lights. In other words "normal" use.

I've been on the phone all day with both the Mazda dealership and Mazda Australia, and they are giving me the same line that it isnt covered under waranty, as it is a wear part etc, etc.

Has anyone managed to get a clutch replacement done successfully under warranty?
    And if so, are there any recommendations that you can make.

Cheers

i assume your car is not under warranty? i tried to get my clutch updated to the new style and it got knoccked back.. i had new car warranty but they said as it had 70k on it was a wear and tear issue..
    Last edited by kovmps6; 04-05-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Actually the car is still under warranty (new car), its just that Mazda Australia dont cover clutches. I thought that a bit rich, considering that a) it is under warranty, and b) 30k kms before the clutch disappears. In their defence the Mazda dealer sympathised with me, but kept reiterating its out of their hands, as its up to Mazda Australia to decide. They gave me two options (why is everything in twos). They replace the clutch at my expense. They take the clutch out and do a review of it to determine if it is anything other than wear, in which case if it is wear, I pay myself to remove the clutch and do the inspection. If it isnt wear, then Mazda Australia "should" pick up the bill, but they may not. Doesnt seem like have many choices left.

I guess the toss up now is either wait til it fails and replace with factory. Or replace with aftermarket and save myself the pain in the long run.

Thanks for your feedback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast