User Tag List

Thread: CAI... I really cant make my mind up... :(

Default CAI... I really cant make my mind up... :(

K&N SRI with Heat sheild

oooorrr

CP-E CAI

Im struggling as i like how CPE have manufacturered their pipe etc...

but i dont think i stand a chance witha CAI with all the Standing Water and Wet Weather we experience here in Auckland

Does any one one here have the CP-E

if you can highly reccomend it i will order one and pick one up next time im in sydney...(strangely enough i havent been this year... :/)

I have the cp-e, and it is great. I have never had any concern with water entering the intake, the filter sits right up under the headlight so you have to go through a pretty deep puddle to ingest some water, you can also get a water repellant pre-filter if you are worried.
    I would stick with a dry filter over an oiled if possible, aside from the oil affecting the MAF argument, the filter is prone to a lot more dust in the location and oiled filters seem to clog up a lot quicker.

I am not familiar with the k&n, but I do know that the cp-e MAF housing has air straighteners and is identical diameter to stock, so there are no adverse effects to your fuel trims.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Although I don't have a branded CAI, I have modified my SRI into a CAI, It sits where the foglights originally were. I have never had any issues regarding water and my wet type filter is exposed to the elements and I live in Queensland.

As stated, go with the original size MAF with straighteners if you don't plan to tune the car in the very near future

4. Default

i ve just seen a totally enclosed conical K&N pod filter it has one opening on the end where a flexible pipe can then be located to draw in cooler air looks the goods bit pricey though has anyone else seen them ?

+1 on the cpe cai. Have had it on for almost a yr now and no probs at all. Awesome sound as well.

+2 on the CP-E CAI. I've got one of them on for about six mths and pretty happy with it. I have also got the water repellant pre-filter, picked it up at the same time as the CAI from MPSGarage for about 50 bucks.

+3 for CP-e CAI

Ante, I've only had a CEL twice when it's been raining very heavily and the roads have been extremely wet (that's with the prefilter) since then I've partly covered the airvents in the wheel well and now no more CEL's and airflow does not seem to be restricted. Here's a couple of threads with watershield mods for CAI's.
    Cheers
    Chris

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...er-shield.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...-wet-cais.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

have you considered the CES racing short ram?
    it uses a k&n filter as well if that means anything, and you wont have to worry about water getting in at all

i know everyone says you have to drive through a shatload of water for it to be sucked up, but still, better to be safe than sorry

and removing the filter may require a bit of effort

hmmmm

So if im going to get it flash tuned July Next Year (when waranty lapses)

then i shouldnt bother with a CAI that has AirstraighnerS???

Why is that..

The general consensus is that air straighteners are a must on any aftermarket intake, they ensure the MAF is reading the correct airflow as the straighteners remove any pre sensor turbulence.
    I believe the Mazdaspeed (AEM) CAI was revised to include straighteners after a number of issues with the first version, cp-e & Cobb have always used them.