User Tag List

Thread: Rumormill: DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice?

Default Rumormill: DeLorean Motor Company considering rescuing Pontiac Solstice?

General Motors has made a science out of sharing platforms. So when the company's Kappa platform was introduced for a new rear-drive roadster to be distributed across three different motor divisions, you'd have figured the program was pretty safe, right? Unfortunately for the workers at the Wilmington Assembly Plant which manufactured the Kappa roadsters, those three divisions were Pontiac, Saturn and Opel – three units which the General has either sold or shut down. Which is a shame, because a perfectly good rear-drive roadster platform is a heck of a thing to waste.

In one of the strangest rumors we've heard recently, however, our compatriots over at Jalopnik – fueled by 1.21 gigawatts a Facebook message from DMC – are reporting that the DeLorean Motor Company (yes, that DeLorean Motor Company) is considering buying the plant and the platform from GM and putting it back into production as a new DMC.

The company's current management is speculating whether their founder, who had a long history with Pontiac, would have tried to save the dying motor division, and are reportedly encouraged by the prospect of putting the Willmington workforce back to work. At this point, there's no telling how realistic the prospects are – after all, today's DMC does little more than service the old DeLoreans and word 'round Detroit was that the Kappas were notoriously costly to build and something of a money pit.

Either way, the company has reportedly acquired a Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe for closer consideration. And we're sure there's an aftermarket garage out there somewhere that could outfit the coupe with gullwing doors...and who knows, maybe even a little Mr. Fusion for flex-fuel capacity.

More Images CLICK HERE

[Source: Autoblog via Jalopnik and Facebook]
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

I think I just wrecked my pants.....MASSIVE DMC fan here!!!!

at Trics!!!

Does that mean that Jazz may eventually be born? Gotta admit, the Solstice never really did it for me...

I do like the fact that DMC are still around, supplying parts and service to devoted fans, check out thier web-site - DeLorean Motor Company - Home
    there's some info on there about this as well it being a good view!

Did anyone see "American Dad" a few weeks back? Stan was in the process of restoring a Delorean, and was chasing the right-door - funny stuff! If only he knew aboot this place...

I want to order one with a "Flux Capacitor"

There was (still is) a DMC-12 in a motor museum here in Perth, it was in Albany for a while, but may have been moved somewhere else? I've always wanted one since the Back to the Future films - I was only 14 when they came out - geez I must be getting

Shakes, I actually saw one on a hoist in a place in Osborne Park earlier this year!
    Almost had an accident I was too busy staring and drooling all over the steering-wheel...

THe one you're talking about is one of the ones from the film I think, it was all done up with the wires and such hanging off it

hell yeah!!! bring back the delorean. i got to get back to the future!

I thought I'd this to the DeLorean thread

[YOUTUBE]5VXNX8T3PhQ[/YOUTUBE]

A mate of mine just bought a Delorean. One of 12 in Qld now. But its funny how he compares driving it to driving an early Kingswood.

Delorean = sex on wheels

Yummo