User Tag List

Thread: royal purple in gearbox?

Default royal purple in gearbox?

hey people has any1 every use royal purple oil in their gearbox for the mps models if so how was the overall result???? .......im on 53000 km's and my mechanic said its due for a gearbox service

Ive got it in mine, its good, but there are better oils available, you can also hear the infamous LSD woong woong noise with this particular oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Ive got it in mine, its good, but there are better oils available, you can also hear the infamous LSD woong woong noise with this particular oil.

so if u were to change to oil again what would u put in there?

Most likley Redline MT-90, or Amsoil Severe Gear, here is a good test done on several of the leading brands.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My mechanic put the redline in mine, cost a bit but definitely done the job!

i just got redline put in my gearbox and gearbox feels pretty good. a lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by remotegt View Post
    i just got redline put in my gearbox and gearbox feels pretty good. a lot smoother.
    Give it a week and you'll definitely notice the difference

Doing this at my 40k km service in a couple of weeks and going with Redline, gearbox feels clunkier now than usual, hoping this will smooth it out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Doing this at my 40k km service in a couple of weeks and going with Redline, gearbox feels clunkier now than usual, hoping this will smooth it out a bit.
    Initially, first to second seemed really notchy after adding the oil, but after speaking with a few gearbox mechanics, the notchiness seems to be perfectly normal, and will be more evident when it is cold, or before the car has been fully warmed up. After about a week you should notice smoother gear changes.

my car is at 80k never had any probs.. ust all the other probs under the sun

I have been thinking of using Royal Purple Oil in the 2 but reading the opinions of the other members I might do some more research. I'm quite aware that the 2 isn't a performance vehicle but with the amount of K's I'm doing as a lease car I thought that better lubricant would help the longevity of the motor....and with me doing a few track days a year revving the little buggers head off also swayed my opinion to get some good lubricant...

havent tried royal purple or redline but ive been using castrol syntrans since my 10k service and its been perfect..no wong wong noise either. what u guys think of the castrol?

I'm using Castrol synthetic and have no complaints.

After reading that excellent paper that Matt posted I doubt that anyone should be using royal purple.

Yeah, after I read through that I thought the same thing, mine is definitely getting changed at the next service, might give the Amsoil a go, even though Im sure there would be some degree of bias toward them in the test results.

Might stay away from the purple now and just go the Castrol Synthetic

Matt

i just changed the oil and oil filter in my car got the castrol egde sport 5w 30 grade with a k&n oil filter.... the car feels much better and very responsive

17. Default

I used redline in my last mazda6 gearbox and got a small but definite improvement in smoothness