User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just did my first mod - my new Towbar is on and what boy what a difference!!

Default Just did my first mod - my new Towbar is on and boy what a difference!!

Damn, I thought this thing was wicked to begin with but after getting this towbar fitted, I can't begin to tell you what a difference it's made!

I will be putting it on the dyno next week, so I'll post up the before and after graphs. But my "seat of the pants" dyno tells me that there is a noticable difference. This is the best mod I've done so far.

Saving up for the chrome fuel lid, confident that it will improve my fuel economy out of sight.

Seriously though.....the factory towbar is actually very cool, as it's just about invisible from behind, and the "tool less" tounge goes on without bolts. Instead, it uses a large pin to fasten it to the bar. It all packs up in a nice neat little Mazda zip bag which you just leave in the boot. The light connector is like a heavy duty ribbon cable and sits in the spare wheel well. When you need it, you just hang it out the back and close the hatch to secure it in place. Here are some pics for y'all (apologies for the grubby car).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img025.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	1380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img028.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img029.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	1382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img030.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img031.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	1385  

Last edited by ManicMPS; 28-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.

So you made an ugly car even uglier .... CONGRATS .. I think

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    Yeah......right.....I think!

Do I detect a slight whiff of "towbar envy" in your comment?

lol if its to tow a jet ski... then its a mad mod... if its to take the MPS to the dump on weekend then......................... tut tut

haha

nice mod though.. -.2kw for the weight gain lol

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    lol if its to tow a jet ski... then its a mad mod... if its to take the MPS to the dump on weekend then......................... tut tut

haha

nice mod though.. -.2kw for the weight gain lol
    Heehee.....but then again, I hardly think that the MPS is too good to serve a practical role in the household. All I need is the occasional ability to be able to haul a 6x4 trailer to the dump, or pick up a new fridge or shift a wardrobe......etc. without being a burden on my mates. This is no prima donna Ferrari that sits in the shed and only comes out on sunny weekends, it's a brilliant (but practical) everyday car.

As far as towbars go, I reckon this one is the best thought out designs I've come across. Virtually invisible, tool less fitment, no holes......very Mazda...very clever. I like it!

6. Default

thats great how it connects on, I have to stuff around with bolts on mine ... good job

dont you usualy tow the boat .. not use the boat to tow something Mel ? haha

Nice one Manic.. all fun n games.. i was thinking the other day i need a tow ball... missues thinks a dual cab is in order but i say...ummmm... noooooo

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    dont you usualy tow the boat .. not use the boat to tow something Mel ? haha

Nice one Manic.. all fun n games.. i was thinking the other day i need a tow ball... missues thinks a dual cab is in order but i say...ummmm... noooooo
    Mines more like a tug boat Paul
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Great looking towbar ManicMPS

I was considering this mod a while ago, but gave it up as I couldn't justify the expense for the minimal amount of towing I do and taking the bikes places. Worked out it was cheaper to hire a ute when I needed to move stuff to the tip once a year and to hire bikes when we go down south every Easter!

BTW! can we keep the off topic stuff out of the Tech Talk section please
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

i was thinking of gettin a towbar and trailer to tow around a trail bike

Blog Entries

Wow the factory setup looks tidy as!! and invisable when not in use is a major plus

Actually I think tow bars have a good purpose other than towing. If somebody backs into you in a car park it serves a little extra protection, and hopefully stuff the other persons car up a bit lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    ohhhh SNAP!!
    crackle..... pOp
    '
    'BRISBANE AUTOSHINE' MOBILE CAR DETAILING
    1300 35 65 95
    0406 427 269
    antony@autoshine.com.au
    www.autoshine.com.au
    GIFT VOUCHERS AND CLUB DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE**

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMPS View Post
    Yeah......right.....I think!

Do I detect a slight whiff of "towbar envy" in your comment?
    nah, just being a cheeky prick HA! ... tidy setup though... at least its all hidden
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

Bloody neat... I have a friend who got a tow bar for his Gen 1, bit botchy because they were not to have tow bars for the Gen 1. I just bought the 4b for the misses and got a tow bar for it not to use it for a lot of towing but mainly for protection if someone drives up your back side like( bd81) was saying a couple of quotes earlier...

I'm with Manic. Got the tow bar, makes the car loads more useful. Especially if you're do renos and landscaping. I checked non OEM stuff. all have to cut the bumper to make it fit. Best $400 odd bucks I spent.

Neat touch to have a towbar for the occasional use. I have a light weight covered trailer which I use when i travel from Scone to Yamba. Shame Mazda Australia didn't offer one for the first generation. Believe it or not, New Zealand Mazda have a genuine towbar offered for the Generation 1. I investigated getting one but the freight was the killer.
    Was hidden like yours but has a bolt on chromed tongue.

Brian

How much did the tow pack set you back, if you don't mind me asking.

Nice tow bar!

Use to call it the 'poor mans reverse sensor'..... have had quite a few dents in my front plates from idiots that use it that way

Always considered getting one for protection purposes + towing options.

But i heard it was illegal to leave on unless you were towing as it obstructs the view of the license plate?

20. Default

Be aware, in NSW, and probably elsewhere, the new Mazda towbar is illegal if the towball is left on, according to the Officer who pulled me over and gave me a fine for $344.00 and 3 demerit points. Up until then, my licence had been clean for 15 years. I am gutted and Mazda's stance on it is that it is our responsibility to know that we need to remove it when not "towing".

I picked up my new SP25 7 weeks ago with the towball already connected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast