User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Australian Govt To Ban P-Platers From V8s, Modified Cars

Blog Entries

Default South Australian Govt To Ban P-Platers From V8s, Modified Cars

THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT is proposing new legislation that aims to restrict P1 and P2 drivers under the age of 25 from driving a vehicle with eight cylinders or more, cars with supercharged or turbocharged engines and cars with performance-enhancing modifications.

The legislation, which will be tabled in the SA State Parliament on October 13, raises the minimum time on a learner’s permit from six to 12 month and requires L-platers to accrue at least 75 hours of supervised driving time before applying for a provisional licence.

P-platers returning from a licence disqualification cannot carry passengers between midnight and 5AM under the new laws, and drivers who fail to display their P-plates face the loss of two demerit points.

“On average 27% of all fatalities in SA each year are aged between 16 and 24,” said South Australian Road Safety Minister Michael O’Brien.

“There’s more than 76,000 P platers on our roads and these new drivers, particularly those aged between 16 and 20 years of age, are up to three times more likely to be involved in a serious road crash.

“There’s also increasing community concern about these young inexperienced drivers getting behind the wheel of high powered vehicles and we’re basing our approach on existing legislation in Queensland, NSW and Victoria.”

Exemptions will be granted for provisional drivers who own a high-powered vehicle before the ban comes into effect, as well as those who need to drive one for work purposes.

Drivers who only have access to a high-powered vehicle (such as one owned by their parents) are also exempted.

Exempted drivers must carry documentation of their status while driving, or else risk a $250 fine and the loss of three demerit points.

At this stage it’s unclear whether the new rules have any effect on turbocharged vehicles such as the Volkswagen Golf, however its unlikely the SA Government will view such cars as “high performance vehicles”.

[Source: TMR]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

sometimes its great to be just a few yrs older

Exemptions will be granted for provisional drivers who own a high-powered vehicle before the ban comes into effect, as well as those who need to drive one for work purposes.
    I need myself one of those jobs......

Really when will legislators realise that lack of experience and fatigue is a major contributor to crashes. Give the young guys the ability to drive properly and possibly look to a horsepower restrictions, because as the article stated a TSI VW Golf is not that fast and is probably safer and easier to control than a 6 cyl falcodore! sheesh I just don't get what these guys are trying to achieve! must be getting
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

I'm with Birdhouse...I want a job where I HAVE to drive a Twin Turbo RX7 or a Merc SLR

They just have no F**king idea.... I can't get over this 100 hours worth of parent supervision rather than learning to drive with a qualified instructor and then doing defensive driving not once or twice. The government are to blame with all this carnage on the road I sometimes wonder whether some of these government people did the 100 hours of supervision to get into these jobs, makes me so angry.....

Blog Entries

I still reckon they need to do a full defensive driving course but I know they will never do that.

It's simple do the defensive course or you don't get a driver's licence fullstop what is so hard, the government would sooner take money off us from our rates and toll bridges and tunnels and so on and they spend so much time trying to work out how to fix the carnage with younger drivers and penalise everybody else by spending millions on camera's which I don't have a problem with never been zapped by a fixed camera or vans parked on the side of the road in fact 1988 was my last speeding ticket, I've self taught myself from racing Go Karts,certain things are just left for the track or private property... Please give me some control I'll fix it......

Blog Entries

To do a defensive driving course would mean they would have to get off their a$$ to do something...tolls, rates ect they just sign a piece of paper and we cop the bill.

This idea simply just does not work.
    Watch the news, people are still killing themselves, and doing stupid things on the road in "legal" cars.
    All the law in nsw has done is increased the amount of people driving without their p plates
    police don't seem to enforce the law, i see p players in turbo and v8s quite often, and police next to an evo lancer with p plates at the traffic lights.

Defensive driving cources I believe are not the answer either. It's all about the attitude of young drivers. If you teach a young person how to control a slide, what do you think he will do?
    Answer - show off to their mates, look what I can do.
    And everybody knows, it doesn't matter how good you are, mistakes are easily made

Blog Entries

Get rid of the 3 strikes your out system and have it zero strikes.

Then again, idiots are always going to be idiots, no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    This idea simply just does not work.
    Watch the news, people are still killing themselves, and doing stupid things on the road in "legal" cars.
    All the law in nsw has done is increased the amount of people driving without their p plates
    police don't seem to enforce the law, i see p players in turbo and v8s quite often, and police next to an evo lancer with p plates at the traffic lights.

Defensive driving cources I believe are not the answer either. It's all about the attitude of young drivers. If you teach a young person how to control a slide, what do you think he will do?
    Answer - show off to their mates, look what I can do.
    And everybody knows, it doesn't matter how good you are, mistakes are easily made
    Sorry I also should have quoted that there were to have restrictions on what they can drive like motorbikes eg max 120kw which I forgot to mention. Yes I know they can kill themselves in anything that's why you introduce the other things I mentioned, there will never be a 100% fix to this. We all have our sprints here and there but I thing they should introduce double points for under a certain age or loose there licence straight away for 6 to 12 months...... I have more of the younger ones wanting to egg me on to play than the older drivers.... Man I have a 21yo daughter who thinks she can match it with dad with all my knowledge. Keep telling her to remember what could happen you could kill someones grandparents, mums & dads, kids or the big one get a knock on the door to tell me that you were killed in a car accident, I just keep drumming it to her to make her think and understand and now I have another one to get her learners. Do it all over again......

Default idiots are always going to be idiots, no matter what you do

HERE'S A LONG WINDED WAY OF SAYING THE SAME THING TRICACHE SAID.

It’s a complicated issue. In my view the root cause is the fact that we are a car-based society, and with the exception of certain prescribed disabilities, the voting public believes they are “entitled” to hold a driver’s license.

However we now know that a significant proportion of motor vehicle license holders have mental and personality dispositions that result in poor decision making and/or an inability to reject high-risk behaviour. These dispositions would preclude them from gaining entry to more controlled environments like railways and aviation.

A pre-disposition for poor decision making is something no amount of education can resolve. In fact defensive driving courses can sometimes do more harm than good because some people go away from them feeling like they've miraculously become a competent racing racer.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, governments everywhere have concluded that the risk consequence of allowing unsuitable drivers to continue driving is lower than the political consequences of trying to take them off the road. Instead, they create the illusion of managing road safety with ineffective concepts like setting speed limits and pretending to enforce them.

One of the tragedies in road safety has been that the false notion of speed enforcement has been attributed to improving the road death toll, when really this improvement has come from improved vehicle design. If we were still driving 1970’s technology vehicles the road death toll in this country would be over 10,000 annually instead of around 500 and people might be less eager to accept the speeding myth.

Occasionally some science comes along that gives legislators an opportunity to make good road safety policy, such as the alcohol and fatigue programs.

Years ago legislators had road trauma statistics that showed young males were disproportionately represented. But there was no science available at the time to explain why. Unfortunately for young blokes the case against them has got a whole lot stronger since brain scientists proved that the part of the brain that processes risk does not fully develop in males until around age 25.

There are now compelling scientific reasons to place restrictions on young drivers because for a large proportion of them, education is not going to help. Like the alcohol and fatigue programs, this is not going to go away.

I don’t ever see the day where governments reduce this risk by following the aviation and railway industries by increasing the entry age and conducting psychometric testing on license applicants, because it would contradict the “entitled to drive” mentality of the majority. It’s a shame really because I think this could be the next major improvement in road safety.

Gone to Volvo

Well put Mal ( I Think ).....

Blog Entries

I said that? j/k

So true and very very well put (as usual)

Oh he is good

Thumbs up Agreed this time

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    HERE'S A LONG WINDED WAY OF SAYING THE SAME THING TRICACHE SAID.

It’s a complicated issue. In my view the root cause is the fact that we are a car-based society, and with the exception of certain prescribed disabilities, the voting public believes they are “entitled” to hold a driver’s license.

However we now know that a significant proportion of motor vehicle license holders have mental and personality dispositions that result in poor decision making and/or an inability to reject high-risk behaviour. These dispositions would preclude them from gaining entry to more controlled environments like railways and aviation.

A pre-disposition for poor decision making is something no amount of education can resolve. In fact defensive driving courses can sometimes do more harm than good because some people go away from them feeling like they've miraculously become a competent racing racer.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, governments everywhere have concluded that the risk consequence of allowing unsuitable drivers to continue driving is lower than the political consequences of trying to take them off the road. Instead, they create the illusion of managing road safety with ineffective concepts like setting speed limits and pretending to enforce them.

One of the tragedies in road safety has been that the false notion of speed enforcement has been attributed to improving the road death toll, when really this improvement has come from improved vehicle design. If we were still driving 1970’s technology vehicles the road death toll in this country would be over 10,000 annually instead of around 500 and people might be less eager to accept the speeding myth.

Occasionally some science comes along that gives legislators an opportunity to make good road safety policy, such as the alcohol and fatigue programs.

Years ago legislators had road trauma statistics that showed young males were disproportionately represented. But there was no science available at the time to explain why. Unfortunately for young blokes the case against them has got a whole lot stronger since brain scientists proved that the part of the brain that processes risk does not fully develop in males until around age 25.

There are now compelling scientific reasons to place restrictions on young drivers because for a large proportion of them, education is not going to help. Like the alcohol and fatigue programs, this is not going to go away.

I don’t ever see the day where governments reduce this risk by following the aviation and railway industries by increasing the entry age and conducting psychometric testing on license applicants, because it would contradict the “entitled to drive” mentality of the majority. It’s a shame really because I think this could be the next major improvement in road safety.
    +1 COL RESTRICT LOW PERFORMANCE AND LOW INTELLIGENCE DRIVERS OF ANY AGE NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS !!!!!!!
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 02-10-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

They need a per person Screening interview before your allowed to get your P's.

If you fail the 'attitude' test then u fail to get your P's

lol

Has this happened yet? As when I was just in adelaide I saw a learner in a Cordia Turbo :P

I honestly think from a National level, this needs to be addressed.

I remember I was down in Sydney either last year, or the year before over the Easter Break.

Some 17yo P-plater wiped out her own family in full when she crashed her fathers Clusport R8.

The car was not recognisable, the engine was found 100m from the crash site.

That is irrisponsible IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast