User Tag List

View Poll Results: Am I being too picky with the clunkiness in the gearbox...?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's totally normal

5 71.43%
  • No, I also have the same issue and it's definately not normal

0 0%
  • Never taken notice/Haven't had a problem

2 28.57%

Thread: MPS 3 Notchy gearbox...

Default MPS 3 Notchy gearbox...

I wanted to start a thread with a poll to get more feedback on everyone's thoughts and experiences with the MPS 3 gearbox.
    I am still not convinced myself about it being normal, but I guess if enough people insist, maybe I'm just being picky...

My clunkiness started out more noticeable between 3rd and 4th, but now with the new Redline 75w90 synthetic oil, that problem seems to have disappeared but the clunkiness between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd (including downshifting) is still noticeable... To date I have been informed by Mazda that is normal...

Is the oil just a bandaid to the real problem? Feedback please
    Last edited by mpsJOE; 22-09-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Even my new gen MPS 3's box is a bit clunky. Doesnt really bother me too much...Just noticed it pretty much straight away.

I did notice that when I drove Lynchy's MPS and even Pockets diesel 3 has a long throw...as the 2's gearbox is light and close

but as I dont own one maye the others can give better and more precise feedback..

The MPS gearbox is like moving a ping pong paddle through a sack full of door knobs.... Always has been, but apparently the new one is a lot better.

I've been told by a few people that its pretty normal, guess I just never really noticed it before.

Yes it is notchy which to me seems normal, however been notchy makes it very hard not to miss gears here and there under heavy acceleration and in the long run all those time you crunch the gearbox will make matters worse.

Clunky and Notchy are not the same thing. If the MPS gearbox was simply Notchy, it'd be great, but the gearbox is clunky. Not so great. It also seems, the faster you try to shift and more you try to fight the gearbox, the more resistance it has. =\

Blog Entries

I would concede that quick 2->3 requires some practiced touch, and that 1->2 and 2->1 are clunky, 3->2 not quickest.
    rev matching through it's lifetime I've found mine has worn in very well and at 63,000k I've no complaints.

I might feel slightly differently on a track? It's not super-super refined, but if you know the box's limits and treat it appropriately, it's...awesome :-)

I'm sure mine is so much better than it was new...penrite sin75w90 helped too. Part of that may be getting uised to it and learning the touch over a couple of years.

Not too much you can do in regards to the noise, though ive noticed since moving to an aftermarket rear engine mount the shifter feels loads better, and more precise.

Yeah, I get the feeling that recently the crappiness of my gearbox could be explained by an engine mount that's on it's way out.

A new rear engine mount, short throw shifter & solid bushings helps tidy up the shift considerably, but at the end of the day were pushing and pulling cables so youre never going to get the same level of feel as that of a RWD box, there is this link to a short video that might help you out a bit too.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...d-friends.html