User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 4-tip exhaust...

nice job looks great....

I hope you blokes realise this is a performance decreasing mod.

The stupid and heavy twin exhaust is why the new MPS3 doesn't outperform the old model despite having the same power at the flywheel, a lighter and stiffer body shell, better chassis setup and better aerodynamics.

Twin exhaust on an inline 4 cyl FTL
    Last edited by kmh001; 25-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Same thing happens on a much wider scale with wheels, primarily when people upsize diameter and/or width. 16" suddenly becomes 17" or 18" or 18"s becoming 20"s. A lot of people just whack on what they like the look of and they forget the negatives of increased weight. So you get harsher ride and the car is slower.

OK, I'm generalising here, some people do their homework, but it happens more often than not. Like you Mal, I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post

The stupid and heavy twin exhaust is why the new MPS3 doesn't outperform the old model despite having the same power at the flywheel.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

The stupid and heavy twin exhaust is why the new MPS3 doesn't outperform the old model despite having the same power at the flywheel, a lighter and stiffer body shell, better chassis setup and better aerodynamics.

well i can tell you there is a major increse in power over the system i had on it before...

Quote Originally Posted by MPSI View Post
    well i can tell you there is a major increse in power over the system i had on it before...

If there's an increase in power it's because of modifications in other parts of the exhaust. Which means that you could have had even bigger gains if you had used a single pipe instead of installing a flow-restricting split.

That's not my opinion, it's an engineering fact. Do the fluid dynamics calculations yourself if you don't believe me.

The fact remains that with all other things being equal, a split pipe cannot flow as well as an unsplit pipe. And that's to say nothing of all that extra weight you've added to the car.

It's ok to do these mods for cosmetic reasons, but it needs to be kept in context. A twin exhaust is a performance reducing mod on an inline 4 cylinder car.
    Last edited by kmh001; 25-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Perfomance decreasing? Oops, too late, I've already made it for my car, Damn.

I wonder if I can sell it now? Not.

Maybe why the cx7 are only 170-175 KW... besides the other reasons. Auto wasn't it wouldn't take the extra power...??? Help me out

If there's an increase in power it's because of modifications in other parts of the exhaust. Which means that you could have had even bigger gains if you had used a single pipe instead of installing a flow-restricting split.

That's not my opinion, it's an engineering fact. Do the fluid dynamics calculations yourself if you don't believe me.

The fact remains that with all other things being equal, a split pipe cannot flow as well as an unsplit pipe. And that's to say nothing of all that extra weight you've added to the car.

It's ok to do these mods for cosmetic reasons, but it needs to be kept in context. A twin exhaust is a performance reducing mod on an inline 4 cylinder car.
    bro.. to tell you the truth.. i really dont car if i had a single pipe and made a big 10kw or so more... if i was after megga big hp, i would have kept and modded my Ve calias 6ltr..

Ryan it looks awesome mate, did I get the name right. I will see it on Sunday is that right to.

I agree, it looks shit-hot but still subtle. I like it and I'm considering doing the same thing now.. powerloss or not. I'm from Bris northside, so I'll probably just ask the same guys... thanks for pioneering!

I agree it looks great and also agree that you'd have more power and less weight with a single pipe - just have to look at the horrible t-junction on the MPS6! But sometimes the cosmetic treatment works more than a few extra KW and a handful less kgs

yeah but if you had a turbo back and the quad pipes would you still be at a loss?

yes...

why you think turbo drag cars just dump the zorts pretty much stright off the turbo ?? they dont run back to some elebrate pipe system that just clogs it all up !!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    yes...

why you think turbo drag cars just dump the zorts pretty much stright off the turbo ?? they dont run back to some elebrate pipe system that just clogs it all up !!
    Oops sorry i ment a loss over say just cat back????
    With the biggest restriction being the DP having that and a catback replaced with quads I doubt youd see muck Kw difference???? Or am i way off?

And we all know the most efficent exhaust is none but not exactly legeal
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by MPSI View Post
    bro.. to tell you the truth.. i really dont car if i had a single pipe and made a big 10kw or so more... if i was after megga big hp, i would have kept and modded my Ve calias 6ltr..
    It's all cool, and note that I never advised against doing this mod. I just want people considering it to be properly informed because this is typical of the type of mod that some guys will wrongly assume will give them more power when the opposite is true.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Make em fatter

pommy car this!! they love there hathies!!! lil 1.4s or 1.6!!! lol fail!!!
    im so setting up a quad pipe. looks stunning!!
    start saving!
    '
    'BRISBANE AUTOSHINE' MOBILE CAR DETAILING
    1300 35 65 95
    0406 427 269
    antony@autoshine.com.au
    www.autoshine.com.au
    GIFT VOUCHERS AND CLUB DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE**

So bringing an old thread back to life been dead for nearly 2 years, but would there be an possibility from running dual 2.25 or 2.5 from the cat back? Not starting from the rear suspension im talking from just after the cat. And if it could be done what if any performance would be gain if any or maybe lost?

I have had twin tip exhaust on one side of my 3 for at least 3 yrs...easy done just need to cut the bumper to suit.
    Ive also got the sti quad tip mod on my forester love quads!
    Last edited by A Pirate; 05-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    I have had twin tip exhaust on one side of my 3 for at least 3 yrs...easy done just need to cut the bumper to suit.
    Ive also got the sti quad tip mod on my forester love quads!
    Nice im not sure what i want in the end 4 or 2 but where does the split occur on the SP?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Looks good if the done right, however I hear it makes the car drone like crazy, its what kept me from doing it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast