User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-tip exhaust...

Where are you getting it done?

Could it affect the power of the car, because I have been told that somebody put a big diamater exhaust and lost power... ???

That theory only really applies to NA cars, when it comes to turbos the bigger the better.

No it was on a turbo one of the staff at Grand Prix put the biggest he could get on it and it ran like sh*t on a cruise with work it was a MPS3 07 model, had it removed the following week....

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    That theory only really applies to NA cars, when it comes to turbos the bigger the better.
    That's not true either...... Going to big can still effect flow on Turbo cars

That's why I would be worried to get quad pipes I love them but I would need to look at some proven figures before I dished out money.... I got great power and torque now with the exhaust and other mods wouldn't want to get quads and loose power....

Quoted from a resident XR5 expert....

"On a turbo motor it is ideal to have exhaust gases expelled as quickly as possible from the engine/exhaust. Hot exhaust gases move faster than cool gases, so ideally you do not want to allow gases to cool too much. Having a pipe diameter too large for the engines potential flow rate will cause rapid expansion and turbulence inside the exhaust system which will in turn allow gases to cool and therefore cause decreased velocity. On the other hand a pipe diameter which too small will not allow maximum flow rate and will throttle the engines potential. This being the case it takes some experience and/or experimentation to find the happy medium for optimum performance.

Another thing to remember is as exhaust gases travel along the exhaust system they will naturally cool. So by dropping the pipe diameter to the rear section of the exhaust the velocity of gases inside the pipe can be maintained and therefore continues to expel quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by ChaMPS View Post
    That's not true either...... Going to big can still effect flow on Turbo cars
    Yes, OK I wasnt going to over technify things, some scavenging (back pressure) is still required on turbo cars, but is not as make or break critical as on an NA setup, besides this is all manifold & downpipe design, by time the gasses flow down the system, a single tip, or quad tips is somewhat irrelevant.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Totally agree..... tips will make no difference.

I wonder if those tips are really 4".... Mine look heaps bigger
    Last edited by ChaMPS; 21-09-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Typo......

Thanks guys .

Interesting though.....

An XR5 with a 2.5" cat back and another with 3" cat back, both hitech, dyno'd on the same day, with all other mods the same, ran very similar numbers.....

The same two cars ran sometime later, both this time having added a hitech 3" dump and cat, and the 2.5" ran higher numbers......

The exhaust needs to match the turbo. Our turbos are very small, and prefer a little exhaust. The GT-28/30 converts all call for 3" all the way.

I do recall reading of an MPS that was fitted with a 3" dump, and 3" catback, the car was dyno'd, then the stock 2.5" catback was fitted, the next run was close enough to call it about even.

Where are you getting it done MSPI? and what price are we talking about?

getting it done at pipeworx?? for 3" mand bend from cat then split into twin 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" (cant remember) and quad tips for $750.. thats in mild steel..

probs the only one thats going to say it.... but i dont like it... looks like a wana-be euro super car ?? IMO ....

Quote Originally Posted by MPSI View Post
    while serching the web for exhausts for the mps, i came across this... anyone know where i could get this done in brisbane???
    Holy Sweet Jeebus!! I think I just messed in my pants...

That is one of the HORNIEST things I have ever seen, and I will be doing that to my MPS 3 as soon as I have the cash!!!

I reckon that was the only thing missing from the first gen MPS 3, you can keep your bonnet scoop - give me Quad exhaust!!!!

The only other mod to the car's looks would be something like some side-vents or such...VZ SS flutes w/- indicators...

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Where are you getting it done?
    Hey troy what do you reckon? can CES pull something like that?....without losing performance ofcourse.

No farking way i am sacrificing performance for looks
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

+++1

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    probs the only one thats going to say it.... but i dont like it... looks like a wana-be euro super car ?? IMO ....
    I don't think it looks bad as such, but I'm not a fan.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Blog Entries

What about for the 6 MPS...

Possibly with better looking tips though...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast