User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i just got blazed at the lights but an old rx7

Default i just got blazed at the lights but an old rx7

... i need to learn how to drive

My previous car was an automatic ED Falcon that I drove for maybe 7 or 8 years. Driving stick is new to me.

Blog Entries

Welcome!

Practice. Then practice some more?

Driving observations:

Upshifts :
    1 -> 2 notchy. not really a problem because who needs 1st gear anyway? Sorry, you probably would. Um, practice.
    2 -> 3 lots of people have trouble trying to shift quickly here. requires a bit of touch for consistency. If you abuse the box with this shift, I suspect you will end up with a box that never shifts quickly to third. Mine's brilliant now @ 63,000K
    3 -> 4 Nothing to note.
    4 -> 5 Not as quick as 2->3 for me
    5 -> 6 Nothing to note.

Downshifts :
    2 -> 1 Moving much? Don't bother. If you must do it on the move, very notchy. Why are you shifting to 1st on the move?
    3 -> 2 Good squirt of accelerator to rev match for 2nd gear. Moderate shift speed
    4 -> 3 Gentle squirt of accelerator to rev match. Smooth quick shift.
    5 -> 4 reasonably quick
    6 -> 5 moderate shift speed

Clutch - heel pivot is the go for me. i.e. I bring my heel down so that as I release the clutch my heel drops against the floor mat at the friction point then pivots . Others?

Heel-toe - very difficult for me trying to do this using ball of foot for brake and heel the accellerator. I can't so I use the ball and inside of the right foot for the brake and pivot and slide as needed to toe the accel.

Other notes : Gearbox is smoother to shift and quieter with Penrite SIN75W90 in it, and mazda will cover that as warranty if your diff/box goes WOONGWOONG cold at heavy steering angles
    Last edited by Nexus; 20-09-2009 at 01:37 AM.

to ur new family....

gee another ACT member....

welcome mate!!

5. Default

Welcome ... so many ACT guys on here now ... whens our next cruise

Ur the cruise mistress of the Capital...

Thanks Nexus, that's some very good advice.

I may print that out and stick it in me car

welcome champ! next time around the rx7 wont be so lucky

Hi there..welcome

mate, enjoy your MPS, once you get the hang of gearbox it's awesome!!!

hey tony. welcome!! good luck with the rx-7 next time u'll have him

i wouldnt be under estimating any old rx7's there a quite a few in ACT that will leave all mps3's for dead. hed probabl;y smash u again anyway

welcome..

yea was about to say same as above... Old has no bearing factor in ass wooping capabiltys when it comes to Rotarys... especially turbo ones... dont feel to bad.. you may have just picked a bad one for your first...

what you need is a few confidence builders... go find some SS's / skylines (note not GTR's) / most Scoobie Doo's unless really tuned / stock evo tens !! lol.... and have fun...

remember its not all about straight line POAR !! in the mps either.. throw it into a few turns at speed and you will find a hole new bunch of reasons to go for a drive !! or find the long way to work !!

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Quote Originally Posted by tonyamazing View Post
    Thanks Nexus, that's some very good advice.

I may print that out and stick it in me car
    lol...We'll know it's you when we se a guy reading a piece of paper at the lights.

or refering to notes mid corner !! HAHA

mid corners easy though... aim wheel and keep on throttle.... lol

and twirling.... always twirling............. weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wink Mps 3sum from cairns fnq

To mps driving school thought i would make it 3 in a row from the boys in Cairns Fnq .

the advice on this forum is all good ,to sum it up the mps takes a bit of getting used to
    1. the clutch is tricky take the time to learn to FEEL it ,don,t be to hard on yourself when you get it wrong ,trust me you will continue to get it wrong , as you have already been told PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE .
    2. the gearbox is also tricky ,as advised change to Penrite oil a set of bushes from 2XS one of our members is a inexpensive must do to aid smooth gear changes and of course PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT .
    3. if finances allow purchase a CP-E DURO 75 REAR ENGINE MOUNT ,It is amazing how much better you will notice the overall FEEL of the clutch,gearshift, and improved power to the black stuff you get ,for $225 it is the best value for money. Available from MPS GARAGE one of OZMPSClub forum sponsors wwwmpsgarage.com.au
    4. now you are ready to go kick arse but not before the mandatory 10hrs of PRACTICE and don,t worry wev,e all been there .
    5. do the ozmps club members proud . Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    lol...We'll know it's you when we se a guy reading a piece of paper at the lights.
    Lol reading it between gear changes

EDIT: I've gotten real bloody good at driving it slowly hahaha real smooth gear changes before 2k rpm ... i think maybe i haven't quite got the hang of driving a manual turbo :P

also, I'm too precious about the car. I feel like I'm abusing it everytime I put my foot down
    Last edited by tonyamazing; 27-09-2009 at 11:48 PM.

its a turbo....abuse it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast