User Tag List

Thread: Unbias review on new MPS

Default Unbias review on new MPS

Here's a review from an English car magazine, who obviously have never taken a fancy to Mazda's in general...

But this is the type of review I prefer to read as they really have no reason to be bias in their views...

MAZDA 3 MPS | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express

wow, 55 views and not one comment... interesting thread I started hey

Short review and really nothing new that hasnt already been say in other reviews.

Pretty much Mazda went to all the trouble to make the MPS better by changing its looks and failing miserably.

4. Default

Good Article thanks

OK a serious question now does anyone besided Gen1 MPS3 owners say the new MPS3 is a failure, cause I dont seem to hear it from anyone else.

I think its only me saying it BB, im not the speaker of the gen1 mps people lol

mps mk1 FTW!!
    yewww

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Good Article thanks

OK a serious question now does anyone besided Gen1 MPS3 owners say the new MPS3 is a failure, cause I dont seem to hear it from anyone else.
    Thanks Mel, and IMHO, the Gen2 is not a failure, and is MUCH better than the Gen1 in alot of areas.

I do understand the Gen1's distress with it, primarily due to the fact its lost its "Sleeper" look.

If you put the goodies in the Gen1 body, that is, the gadgets, the suspension set up etc, I think it would be a different story.

Gen2 is way more refined, still got the power, better handling, just looks the part instead of something that resembles the SP23 (ie. sneaky sleeper).
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

+1 what Dan said

Never was a fan of the Gen 2 mps but after owning one for the past 3 weeks, ive gotten over the smiley face and enjoy how well the car handles.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    Thanks Mel, and IMHO, the Gen2 is not a failure, and is MUCH better than the Gen1 in alot of areas.

I do understand the Gen1's distress with it, primarily due to the fact its lost its "Sleeper" look.

If you put the goodies in the Gen1 body, that is, the gadgets, the suspension set up etc, I think it would be a different story.

Gen2 is way more refined, still got the power, better handling, just looks the part instead of something that resembles the SP23 (ie. sneaky sleeper).

no distress, simply personal opinions based in all reviews together with people personal experience test driving one.

You coming on wednesday to the drags Dan?...we need to see in action this car that doeas look the part

Its supposed to be faster over the 1/4 mile.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

It's been quoted at 14.8... I doubt very much it will be faster down the quarter, the original was quoted at 14.2 and some of us got them into the 13s stock. The .1 Litre/100km it saves on fuel just might be the difference between gen 1 and 2... I still love the new shape, but can't work out what's going to be quicker about it if the only difference in power is the saving of fuel... if anything it will be slower, no?
    Last edited by mpsJOE; 25-09-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks Mate good review, finally got around to reading this today, have been way to busy

Quote Originally Posted by mpsJOE View Post
    It's been quoted at 14.8... I doubt very much it will be faster down the quarter, the original was quoted at 14.2 and some of us got them into the 13s stock. The .1 Litre/100km it saves on fuel just might be the difference between gen 1 and 2... I still love the new shape, but can't work out what's going to be quicker about it if the only difference in power is the saving of fuel... if anything it will be slower, no?
    Cant recall what reputable review quoted the new MPS slower from 0-100 but faster in the 1/4 mile.

Postie Dan im waiting!
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Another review from someone who wants a car that requires no thought, just point and shoot (GTI for example).
    We all love these cars (old & new) for their power and the fact that you have to think about how much of that power you apply.
    I agree with Dan, that if you put everything in the new into the old then drivers of the original would be in love with it. Their both awesome little beasts.

My opinion is that they are both great to drive...though the new one is smoother, I like the roarness better .... keeps your attention on what you are doing.

Maybe I'm just more used to it and one of the main reasons I went for my car was the sleeper look. They could have backed off on the bling a bit, eg: (the horrible door & dash trim) and spent it on some decent seats as well.

That's my opinon as a current MPS3 Gen1 owner for just over 21/2 years.
    I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.........Groucho Marx

15. Default

Gen 1 sleeper look FTW! letterbox draws too much attention. was pulled over by the cops today, driving 80 in an 80 zone, just to check my drivers licence.... fcuking pigs.
    Last edited by Wardski; 26-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Absolutley nothing is wrong with the Gen 1 MPS. The Gen 2 has just improved on alot of the things!!!
    Gen 1 or Gen 2, they both rock! Both still eat V8's and drive better than most cars, which they are!
    Peolpe who moan and persist with the crap about 'torque steer' are idiots. Any car that you flog is going to loose traction whether it is front or rear wheel drive. If your driving a car so that it looses traction, then your being a hoon and don't appreciate the car your in. Cars are not cheap nowadays and continuously flogging them will only cause grief and your car will not last. Motoring journalists see to be loosing the plot a bit, but the can't help themselves.