User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CES Racing SRI, K&N pod and heatsheild

Default CES Racing SRI, K&N pod and heatsheild

We have an offer to temp you into buying one of our products. The group buy offer is set at a minimum of 5.

If these products sell, I can convince my boss to be a site sponsor.

Starting with the SRI:

This item is 100% hand fabricated to suit the MPS. 2.75" internal size. HPC coated mild steel. Suits both 3 and 6 (TD unsure)

The heatsheild:

This is made from aluminium. It may suit some FMIC kits too.

The pod:

K&N pod filter, what more do I need to say.

The price:

$400 fitted. (Usually $400 uncoated and unfitted.)

CES Racing, Meadowbrook, QLD.

Time taken:

Approx. 30 mins. Drive in, drive out.

For those of you interstate, we may be able to post instead of fitting for the price.

Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

soon to have 2 set up as well......

Keep me on the list.

I will need to recover from the cost of the exhaust, but will look at one in the near future.

Thanks for trying to get something up and running for CES. It's great to have an MPS driver working there, should produce more development.

bring on the 2 Regs...

Im in, however im a bit concerned about heat soak and not sure how effective is that heatshield.

I will be making a new heatsheild on Saturday to insulate the filter better.

The MAF housing will be HPC coated to help eliminate heatsoak through the housing.

Another member already has the HPC coated item and informs us that the intake temp while driving is equal to ambient, not 2-3 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Im in, however im a bit concerned about heat soak and not sure how effective is that heatshield.
    i dont want to sound like an arsehole, but really, heatsoak?

if you are stuck in traffic, nothing (practical) is going to stop the whole system from heating up, and if you are moving consistently, then it not an issue at all, you're pretty much going to sit at ambient

especially since you are only 2 or 3degrees above ambient with the factory airbox

in my opinion, the shield is only good for stopping the engine from sucking in air coming out the back of the radiator due to the fan going on from the air conditioning or when it reaches 105degrees water temp

i would be more worried about the top/front mount intercooler heating up instead of the intake

As I do most of my driving in the city and I been monitoring temperatures with my dashhawk so I can say they go up pretty quickly while stuck in traffic or even while moving slowly and the impact in performance is noticeable. Im only concerned that with a SRI the matter could get worse thats all.

from my experience with another brand of short ram, the intake air temp will be higher in a shorter amount of time compared to the factory air box, this is because of the insulation the airbox offers

but, this only happens under the scenario that both intakes were at, or very close to ambient, to start off with

say for example, ambient temp is 20degrees, air intake temp is 20-23degrees, water temp is 86degrees, then after approximately 5 minutes of idling or slow speed driving, the air intake temp with a sri will be, say 40degrees, while an airbox will be 32degrees (these figures are not spot on, just close to give a rough idea)

sure, the sri sounds like a bad idea, but when you start getting a decent amount of airflow into the system, the temps drop a lot quicker than if you had an airbox, and in my opinion performs better since the delay to get back to ambient temp is shorter, but it will still be a while before the intercooler gets rid of all the heat it has retained

as long as there is a shield that prevents the air from the radiator fan going directly into the system, you will be fine, as that is the real problem

the only "real" way to seal the filter properly would be to have an enclosed, heatshielded box with a single opening containing a duct that takes in air from outside the engine bay - you may as well get a cold air intake instead because its easier and cheaper

by the time that your intake air temps reach 40degrees, your boost air temp readings via the dashhawk are going to show something higher from the top mount absorbing all the heat anyway

how much more convincing do you need?
    Last edited by kagerou; 18-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.

I'd be in on this!

I'm coming to see you guys anyhow tomorrow... to see what the setup is like on a Gen2 compared to a Gen1

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    say for example, ambient temp is 20degrees, air intake temp is 20-23degrees, water temp is 86degrees, then after approximately 5 minutes of idling or slow speed driving, the air intake temp with a sri will be, say 40degrees, while an airbox will be 32degrees (these figures are not spot on, just close to give a rough idea)
    With the current STD Air Box I have seen my IAT temperatures going as high as 60 degrees(stuck in a lot of traffic) with the ambient temp just around 29 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    How much convincing do you need?

Just the assurance that experiencing even higher temperatures with the SRI than the current ones with the STD Air Box wont have a negative impact in reliability thats all
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

I promise!

Then Im so IN...just hope your new improved heatshield is the shitznit!

So do I,

2XS, how many people do you have if I'm a definite? 3?

Yep 3 ATM

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    With the current STD Air Box I have seen my IAT temperatures going as high as 60 degrees(stuck in a lot of traffic) with the ambient temp just around 29 degrees.

Just the assurance that experiencing even higher temperatures with the SRI than the current ones with the STD Air Box wont have a negative impact in reliability thats all
    ok, i understand that you may be worried about the higher intake temps having a negative impact on the car

but you have to realise thats that the maf and iat sensors are for, so the engine will cut boost/timing/whatever so that you dont do any damage

besides, if i had intake temps (not boost air temps) of over 50degrees C, i wouldnt be be going over 3000rpm at all, regardless of whether its an airbox or short ram - think about the boost air temps, they would be over 70degrees C, easy

and as i said before, i would rather the short ram over the airbox anyday because it has no insulation, meaning the intake air temps would drop a lot faster than the airbox because you dont have an enclosure that needs to be cooled down

you can remove the duct that branches off to the battery box so air is directed over the ram once you start moving, with the heatshield preventing the heated air from the radiator going straight into the intake

3 in.. need 2 more people to make this happen!

I have the CES intake on my car, and I can't say enough good things about it.

It definitely improves the turbo spool time, It sounds great under acceleration, and it looks great with the HTC coating.

Also, being a local company, you will get lots of after sales support if required!

Just remember to reset your ECU after installing it.

Cheers,
    Spud

Okay, I'll wait another week....if group buy cant be formed then im going ahead with this by myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast