User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Volkswagen R20 details are released

Blog Entries

Default UPDATED: Volkswagen R20 details are released

UPDATED:

PRESS RELEASE

World premiere 7: Golf R as most powerful Golf ever

Automotive passion has always had something to do with performance. However, Volkswagen is demonstrating – in the world premiere of the new 199 kW / 270 PS Golf R at the IAA – that fuel consumption values can be corrected downward even in the high-end sports car area. The highlight here: While in the now retired Golf R32 (184 kW / 250 PS), 10.7 litres of fuel was processed by the injection system every 100 kilometres, on the new Golf R – thanks to a boosted high-tech TSI – the figure is just 8.5 litres, which is 2.2 litres or 21 percent less! The all-wheel drive Golf R (350 Newton-meter torque between 2,500 and 5,000 rpm) sprints to 100 km/h in 5.7 seconds (Golf R DSG: 5.5 seconds) and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 250 km/h. Two of the many identifying visual features of this exceptional Golf conceptualised by Volkswagen Individual: newly developed LED taillights and LED daytime running lights. The Golf R can be ordered in Germany starting at the end of this year.

The Volkswagen Golf R32 had an small but dedicated fan base here in the U.S. It's 250 horses and road-gripping 4Motion all-wheel drive made for one sprightly Golf, but changing times calls for another approach for the R franchise. Our German friends at VW are using home field advantage at the Frankfurt Motor Show to announce the highly anticipated 2010 R20. The newest R-badged Golf will drop a couple cylinders and add turbocharging for motivation, but the AWD system will stay to keep all that power from being wasted at the front wheels.

The R20 will be reportedly be powered by a boosted 2.0L engine capable of 265 hp and 258 lb-ft, likely an exact duplicate of the engine of the Scirocco R20. World Car Fans says the new powertrain will make for a 0-62 time of 6.5 seconds with the six-speed manual, and 6.4 seconds with the dual clutch gear box. Those times sound pretty slow to us and are akin to what a standard GTI can manage, so we're guessing VW is sandbagging for now.

The R20 also has several aesthetic changes including a new front grille, LED daylight running lamps and plenty of fresh R-badging to let onlookers know this is no run-of-the-mill Golf. Also new are some gorgeous new rims that look to be of the 18 inch variety, and the interior receives some tasteful two tone treatments as well. We'll be sure to update you on all things R20 as official information from VW becomes available. Click here to enjoy the high-res gallery.

[Source: World Car Fans via Autoblog]
    Last edited by armthehomeless; 16-09-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Blog Entries

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in the styling and the output...

Woohoo there's a 5-door !!

Now, R20 or S3, I can't decide. If I get the R20 Mel wont talk to me.

But yeah the output is rather bland and I don't like those hard-to-clean wheels either.

Styling is ok but isnt that a little slow for you mal?

I can make it faster

Blog Entries

I'm hoping they're dummy figures until the official release. If it's 200kW+ I'll take one

Looks good, but same as above.... the numbers arent helping.

What a great colour

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Woohoo there's a 5-door !!

Now, R20 or S3, I can't decide. If I get the R20 Mel wont talk to me.

But yeah the output is rather bland and I don't like those hard-to-clean wheels either.
    Of course I will still talk to you just wont be able to drive near you on cruises though

The front end to me looks nicer than any other Golf though I must admit .... god please shoot me for saying that
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Numbers are fine, remember its reaplacing the R32 which isnt that quick either...

Redbook - R32 Golf

R32;
    Price Guide $57,290*
    Power 184kW @ 6300rpm
    Torque 320Nm @ 2500-3000rpm
    Acceleration 0-100Km/h (secs) 6.2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Blog Entries

UPDATED! Official power figures below:

PRESS RELEASE

Automotive passion has always had something to do with performance. However, Volkswagen is demonstrating – in the world premiere of the new 199 kW / 270 PS Golf R at the IAA – that fuel consumption values can be corrected downward even in the high-end sports car area. The highlight here: While in the now retired Golf R32 (184 kW / 250 PS), 10.7 litres of fuel was processed by the injection system every 100 kilometres, on the new Golf R – thanks to a boosted high-tech TSI – the figure is just 8.5 litres, which is 2.2 litres or 21 percent less! The all-wheel drive Golf R (350 Newton-meter torque between 2,500 and 5,000 rpm) sprints to 100 km/h in 5.7 seconds (Golf R DSG: 5.5 seconds) and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 250 km/h. Two of the many identifying visual features of this exceptional Golf conceptualised by Volkswagen Individual: newly developed LED taillights and LED daytime running lights. The Golf R can be ordered in Germany starting at the end of this year.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Numbers are fine, remember its reaplacing the R32 which isnt that quick either...

Redbook - R32 Golf

R32;
    Price Guide $57,290*
    Power 184kW @ 6300rpm
    Torque 320Nm @ 2500-3000rpm
    Acceleration 0-100Km/h (secs) 6.2
    Been an AWD surely it can use more power.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    UPDATED! Official power figures below:

PRESS RELEASE

Could do with another 20kw!
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

200KW still puts it in old school STi territory.. and its not meant to be a complete ball tearer... nothing a flash cant fix

Blog Entries

Yeah but if this comes to Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if it was $60K + to replace the line of R32s...

Blog Entries

So they are doing a 2 door and 4 door? wow, unexpected...

I still reckon the R20 is overrated...the R32 ect. are great cars but I just reckon VW are just churning out the usual stuff now, such a shame.

you also pay for the build quality!!
    very refined euro!!
    i like!!

Blog Entries

[youtube]cChxdhw9Bxc[/youtube]

And more pics here: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/424...rt-motor-show/

I was reading the October "Car" magazine on the plane yesterday and in their "future car intelligence" section they were led to believe from the their sources the Golf MK VII will be arriving around 2013 and possible in a CC body style similar to the Passat CC in R20 guise! They also quoted the body styles would be Hatch, CC, Estate, 3dr coupe 2dr coupe! This would be something I would get without a question, the renderings looked pretty special too, will have to scan them when I get home
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Jesus on ice skates, that looks so hot. The Germans always have a trick up their sleeve, having said that, it doesnt have the muscley look of the old R32..

o-100 in 6.4 !? damn!! not that quick. other than that not bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast