User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mazda RX-7 first pics

Blog Entries

Default 2012 Mazda RX-7 first pics

Confirming a report we published earlier this year the new model is expected to be powered by the new 16X rotary engine, a revolution of the existing Renesis 13B, as featured in the current RX-8.

In its naturally-aspirated guise the 16X rotary engine is expected to produce around 150-190kW with improved low-end torque.

However sources indicate Mazda is still experimenting with forced-induction – determined to meet emissions regulations which faulted the RX-8’s turbocharged ambitions.

The new RX-7 is likely to share an extended version of the platform used by the MX-5, already a great formula for performance dynamics.

[Source: Car Advice]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Blog Entries

wow....mazda dropped the ball on this one....the motor is going to be awesome but the car looks a bit...ugly IMO

Blog Entries

I like the back end of it.

Wow! That's a good looking car. But I think they should get over the emotional attachment to the rotary engine, or at least offer a piston engine option. Imagine how rewarding the driving experience would be in that thing with the mid-range urge of a turbo DISI engine.

5. Default

OMG I want one! But not in that colour. And I'd prefer it to be 4-door like the RX8.

That thing is hideous...

Looks a bit like a TVR!!

Engine seems worthless, Bring back Turbocharged RX-7's \ RX8

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    That thing is hideous...
    +1..

I like it

Hmmm! pending how much - 2012 keep MPS for family transport, RX-7 for ME

Is it just me or does the back (especially the curves of the tailights and boot) look a little like a bmw z4?

Quote Originally Posted by DN05AW View Post
    Is it just me or does the back (especially the curves of the tailights and boot) look a little like a bmw z4?
    I was thinking before it looks a bit BMW-ish
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

12. Default

Might be good if Mazda use the already proven chassis from the MX-5. Subaru has done the same thing across their product line with great results and better utilised sharing the of parts bin. Engine needs to pi55 on the RX-8, and make it raw, without all the fat the RX-8 carries so it can make the most of the litt'l rotary....

However, I'm not so sure they are heading in the right direction with looks.... I was kinda expecting to see something hotter than the very last RX-7, which IMO is s3x on wheels......

Last edited by Wardski; 14-09-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Wow! That's a good looking car. But I think they should get over the emotional attachment to the rotary engine, or at least offer a piston engine option. Imagine how rewarding the driving experience would be in that thing with the mid-range urge of a turbo DISI engine.
    I'm pretty sure the R in Rx7/Rx8 stands for rotary, and removing it would defeat the purpose.

The rotary theme has been ongoing in the mazda family for decades, and people are still lining up for even the first ones ever produced, hence why they still hold good value. Take a look at how much it would cost to buy an Rx2, Rx3 or R100 these days...

Besides, take a look at the type of power people are getting out of these motors and you will realise that the possibilities for street modified rotor's are pretty much endless...

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Looks a bit like a TVR!!
    Exactly what I thought, like a pumped up TVR Sagaris.

Don't mind it, they can keep the purple though. Leave that to the VE Commodores and BA/BF Falcons.

The rear looks like a BMW Z4

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    The rear looks like a BMW Z4
    was my thoughts exactly

Visibility while driving will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsJOE View Post
    Besides, take a look at the type of power people are getting out of these motors and you will realise that the possibilities for street modified rotor's are pretty much endless...
    I've been a fan of the rotary as an aircraft engine for a few years, primarily for the lower vibration levels and lack of a catastrophic failure mode which is a big deal when you're airborne. But like many other people, I've come to the sad conclusion that the rotary design is fundamentally flawed. After squillions of dollars and 70 years of development, no one has been able to produce a rotary engine with reasonable fuel consumption or with the strength and reliability to go the distance of a piston engine.Yet another rotary engine maker in the US appears to have recently given up development. The rotary is unlikely to get significantly better than it is now.

Mazda still build rotary engines by hand, so they can't possibly be making money on them. Looks like a sure sign they're doing it for emotional reasons. I say give it up. Who cares what 'RX' stands for. At least make the piston engine an option in the RX7 so rotary aficionado's can have their engine, while people who prefer a less frenetic driving experience can have that too. I reckon the piston version would sell more.

Gone to Volvo

I read somewhere recently that Mazda were quoted saying "we will continue to produce the rotary as customers want them"...or words to that effect. So the survival of the rotary will be sales-related from a Mazda viewpoint.
    I personally admire Mazda for sticking with the rotary over the years and trying to improve at each generation. Unfortunately they are competing against a time in history when fuel prices are pushing the gap between value and performance. Whatever they produce next, Rx7, Rx9, Mazda is going to come up with something quite special to at least keep the fanatics enthused, enough so that enough units sell, otherwise I agree Mal, it's days are going to be numbered. Rx8 reliability issues won't have helped general confidence at all though.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Wink Bmwism

Quote Originally Posted by DN05AW View Post
    +1 COL
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast