User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 - Intake air paths

Arrow MPS 6 - Intake air paths

Hi once again

In conjunction with my other thread regarding the stock airbox mod-
    I wish to say that as far as i can tell, the MPS has a very poor design for any intake air flow of any kind (especially front of the car RAM air based)

Am i missing something here?

Within the guard itself there are no real openings for the air to flow from...
    The TUBA coming off the airbox going up into the engine bay looks poor and useless for a consistent cold air source.

Is it really as bad as i have outlined it is?

Honestly, even with a SRI pod filter setup etc i cant see how it can get a goof cold flow of air to it??

Any input? Ideas on where to source air from? (either from within the gaurd or engine bay etc)

Cheers guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9122163.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9122164.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1252  
    Last edited by nissanman; 13-09-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

I like what the Toyota Soarer guys came up with. They call it the BFI (big f*&%$n intake). Have a look at this link, it might give some ideas that you can use with yours.

Planet Soarer: THE BFI (Big Intake) page

Edit: Oops meant to post this in your other thread about intakes that I had just read...hopefully still relevant and helpful here!
    Last edited by TD; 13-09-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Interesting. I've seen things like this before. Cheers!

There's a similar bellmouth intake done on the wrx's. I chose not to use the straight bellmouth, instead utilizing a piece of stretchy 3inch pipe to direct the air flow.

Cutting holes into the airbox isn't what I want to do. Perhaps in 12 or so months once new car warranty is up ill grab a cpe cai etc but for now I'm investigating a cheap stock looking setup for us more conservative mps owners

I'm more into utilizing the stock airboxs potential.
    Last edited by nissanman; 13-09-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Hi once again

In conjunction with my other thread regarding the stock airbox mod-
    I wish to say that as far as i can tell, the MPS has a very poor design for any intake air flow of any kind (especially front of the car RAM air based)

Am i missing something here?

Within the guard itself there are no real openings for the air to flow from...
    The TUBA coming off the airbox going up into the engine bay looks poor and useless for a consistent cold air source.

Is it really as bad as i have outlined it is?

Honestly, even with a SRI pod filter setup etc i cant see how it can get a goof cold flow of air to it??

Any input? Ideas on where to source air from? (either from within the gaurd or engine bay etc)

Cheers guys
    When I installed my watershield (in the front guard) for my CAI I was conscious of restricting air flow to the intake. However the front grille has a path that leads directly to where the CAI filter sits, so in theory air is taken in through this point. You're right and you could probably rig up a ram type set-up to divert air from the grille directly to where the filter sits at the end of CAI pipe!

I've attached a pic of my stock airbox showing the Tuba opening which sat behind the headlight!

Good luck with your airbox mods nissanman, please share the results. And Dan I like the Airbox mod on the Soarer site
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Actually nissanman would you mind if I merged the two threads as they're on a similar topic?
    Cheers
    Chris

For sure, thats fine. Up to you.

I just thought i would split the two threads to make them more 'Seach' friendly for new ones and existing ones wanting specific information.

Cheers guys

Interesting. I've seen things like this before. Cheers!

There's a similar bellmouth intake done on the wrx's. I chose not to use the straight bellmouth, instead utilizing a piece of stretchy 3inch pipe to direct the air flow.
    I was mucking around with this bendy drainpipe extension in order to "force" air onto my SRI setup, but then had a case of "couldn't be bothered" (aka CBF). Think it cost me $5 in Bunnings from the plumbing section

Yeah I'm eventually gonna give this a crack Talldanski's!

Hopefully will be good!

Better than paying 50bucks a metre for " automotive stretchy pipe" !!
    Come on mate, you can find the energy to do it! Lol

OK, armed with zip ties and steely eyed determination I will try it out this weekend, and provide before/after intake temps

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    OK, armed with zip ties and steely eyed determination I will try it out this weekend, and provide before/after intake temps

good work. Let us no where you mount the pipe to gather air from also

cheeeers

good work. Let us no where you mount the pipe to gather air from also

cheeeers
    I'll grab some pics so everyone can have a laugh

13. Default

I used something similar to route air from the front guard up to my pod - can't say it made any difference in seat of the pants but psychologically there is an improvement! One of the first things I did was to gut the resonator at the bottom of the stock airbox and drill circular holes in the airbox to get more air in. I also removed the tuba and this seemed to create more noise but I think channeled more hot air into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by t4orce View Post
    I used something similar to route air from the front guard up to my pod - can't say it made any difference in seat of the pants but psychologically there is an improvement! One of the first things I did was to gut the resonator at the bottom of the stock airbox and drill circular holes in the airbox to get more air in. I also removed the tuba and this seemed to create more noise but I think channeled more hot air into the box.
    Good idea. I personally didn't want to drill into things etc etc, want it to be reversible.

I read on a few other Mazda 6 forums that taking the tuba will make more woosh woosh but COULD suck in hot air.

15. Default

yeah definitely putting holes in the stock airbox will make a whoosh together with removing the tuba. But I would imagine that hot are would get in by removing the tuba just by the way it was designed. Mazda designed the tuba that way for a reason. If you could remove the tuba and route a cold pipe from there to a clean air feed, that would make a difference.

So its sunday, the window washer bottle warning light came on yesterday on way back from Monarto so had to fill it up.

Found some pipes and things laying in the shed...

Popped the bonnet and had a quick squizz... got an idea perhaps where to pick up some cold air from........

Take a look at pics...

Cheers

Name:	P9272333lll.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9272332.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	1374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9272328.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	1375  

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    I was mucking around with this bendy drainpipe extension in order to "force" air onto my SRI setup, but then had a case of "couldn't be bothered" (aka CBF). Think it cost me $5 in Bunnings from the plumbing section

That stuff you have there would have a similar shaped inlet to the fog light plastic in my previous post..... Nice

Attached pic is where i have fastened (zip ties) a flexi pipe for CAI to the stock air box.

Name:	01062008055lll.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1376  
    Last edited by nissanman; 27-09-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: more

If you replace the MAF housing and mayb slap a Pod on it it would be sweet.

Maybe look at a SRI if CAI's are too much!