User Tag List

Thread: Piggybacks and Flashes... do features differ?

Default Piggybacks and Flashes... do features differ?

Sorry if it has been covered but was unable to find a targeted response so I thought I would pick some brains...

I've been looking at the tunning options for the (6)MPS and was wondering how each different unit differs in as far as it's features etc and what it offers that might make it unique or from the others.
    Can anyone tell me for example A does X better then B and C has Y that no one else does...

Ones I am comparing are...
    1) Chip Torque
    2) Haltech interceptor
    3) CPE Standback
    4) Unichip
    5) Accessport / Custom flash if either of those ever gets released for OZ
    6) Something I've missed??

I know it's a bit of an open question but I really just need to narrow the field
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Chiptorque do a re-flash and the XEDE (piggyback)

If you can get to CT, you can get a re-flash, otherwise they can supply you with an XEDE.

Personally I went with the re-flash because it controls everything through the std ECU, whereas the piggyback only intercepts a certain number of values.

The re-flash has throttle control also, which means that when the pedal is depressed fully, the throttle is open to max (usually 70% ish) and stays open to this value, It doesn't gradually close like the std tune.

I don't believe any piggyback has this option yet.

If you have a DashHawk, you can get the "real" values displayed, whereas with the piggyback, I don't know if it will display the "real" values because of the sensors being intercepted.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

3. Default

If I could, I would go for the Accessport, as it has tunes & maps above all of the others on the market. But we are still working with COBB to make it available in Aus.

Other wise the next one would be the Standback, The Standback had been design for the MZR's only(dierct injection petrol engine), there for it covers all the prem's you could every need from a CBE to a custom FMIC with manifolds, GT35R & extra injectors.Then if you needed more like meth the addition of a Pro fuel controller can cover easy 700hp.

As for the the throttle plate control. The best tunes out there leave it alone. As the stepper motor is controlled by calculated torque load on the engine. The throttle plate % is a calculated % (50% does not mine 50% open). these has been proven now for some time & even we have checked it with a tube camera.
    Which brings me to the next point the stepper throttle backs of at 6000rpm the same point as where the engine stops producing power/ torque. So really its useless even quoting hold open throttle.

Then for the others out on the market, they have just moded a old system to work on these engines. I'm not saying they don't work, but after looking at a number of cars now with a number of tunes the Standback as maps & most of the others are correction maps to trick it into working.

So it looks like flashes are the way to go.

Guess that means waiting on Cobb, ChipTorque or the Community on 6club (fireboy)

I've compared the XEDE and the Standback in conjunction with Aaron @ mpsgarage.

Can honestly say that they are not the same like some people claim.

Standback was easier to tune and had far better results(8kw @ the wheels).

I guess it comes down to the fact that the Standback was designed for Mazda's and the Xede is just any old piggyback!

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

BTW, good luck getting Cobb to get AP support for the MPS6....

I've heard that they aren't interested in doing anything for the MPS3 and there seems to be a bigger demand for that!
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

Hey been reading up, searching, now i Revive this older thread. with question about the cobb. accessport, where to get one.

Blog Entries

I would expect flashes to have the maximum feature set possible. That's not to say that all the possible features are accessible with this method.

But DIY COBB AP solution to my knowledge still not available for AU

Chiptorque were looking at doing something similar, I think maybe that's where I'd look if I was after DIY flash capability.

With piggybacks, the standback seems to be a technically superior solution, but XEDE has the market share, at least in QLD, and there's the support that comes with that. I like the standback feature set and resolution myself. I think I'd run with that and a tuner I trusted.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Yep, No AP for AUS at the moment. Chiptorque are working on their eziflash system if you want DIY flash, If not they CAN provide a flash tune, though not something you can switch yourself.

ChipTorque Info/Comments/Questions

ECUtek.. hands down.. only way to fly

Who is running ECUtek?

Just FYI, some of the information in this thread is out of date.

that im not sure of.. but if/when I get a tune.. this will be it