User Tag List

Thread: General Motors to sell control of Opel

Default General Motors to sell control of Opel

GENERAL Motors agreed to sell a 55 per cent stake in Opel to a group led by Canada's Magna after months of fraught negotiations that had weighed on the European unit and its 50,000 workers.

The decision, after a two-day meeting of GM's board, was welcomed by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who had lobbied for the Russian-backed Magna bid and could receive a boost from GM's choice in the run-up to an election on September 27.

Analysts said GM had no clear alternative to the Magna deal because of the costs of raising billions of dollars to keep the brand and fund its restructuring.

The deal also represents a victory for Russia, whose government had pushed aggressively to secure itself a foothold in the rapidly consolidating global car market.

Talks on Opel, control of which GM is giving up as part of a US Government-orchestrated restructuring, had dragged on for months, fuelling anger among the car maker's staff, half of whom are in Germany.

Under the Magna deal, Detroit-based GM will retain a 35 per cent stake in Opel, with Magna and its Russian partner, state-owned bank Sberbank, taking 27.5 per cent apiece, and workers the remaining 10 per cent.

"I am very happy about this decision. The Government's patience and purpose has paid off," said Ms Merkel, describing the deal as a "new beginning" for Opel.

GM opted for the bid by Magna and its Russian partners, Sberbank and GAZ, over a rival offer from Belgium-listed investor RHJ International.

Source: General Motors to sell control of Opel | The Courier-Mail
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Blog Entries

Russian backed??

Do I sense another Lada in the future??

Maybe Lada will become the new Skoda!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Russian backed??

Do I sense another Lada in the future??
    HAHAHA ah the good old lada. my mate had one of thos 4x4 lada's when i was bout 18. was a piece of junk but he could get that thing in the most crazy places cause it was so light
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

Blog Entries

I still remember trying to go up an insane incline with a mate in his lada and it rolled 3 times, landed on its roof...we got out, flipped it back over and she started first go

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    I still remember trying to go up an insane incline with a mate in his lada and it rolled 3 times, landed on its roof...we got out, flipped it back over and she started first go
    haha yeah man they r a crazy car. the places i been in that thing i cant believe we didnt roll his 3 times as well lol
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!