User Tag List

Thread: CPE Down Pipe back fire issues? BOV remedy?

1. Default CPE Down Pipe back fire issues? BOV remedy?

Ok, so ive finally decided what exhaust mod im going to do to my MPS3 -
    (CPE Down Pipe)

I have been doing a bit of further research into it and found that some MPS owners are having issues with backfire from this type of installation

just wondering if this can be remedied as i dont really want to be driving around in a car thats backfiring all the time

Does a BOV fix this issue?

and what would be the best BOV to get? The quieter, the better.

You tend to get a few more backfires, pops from an aftermarket downpipe due to eliminating the bottle neck of the stock pipe, and also because you are (in most cases) deleting one cat, and replacing the other with a spun metal type, rather than the stock ceramic honeycomb type, it doesnt dampen the popping as much, I would say the car backfires (afterfires technically speaking) just as much with the stock DP on, the aftermarket one just makes you more aware of it.

If you set the BOV up into re-circ mode it will limit the back firing.

Changing the downpipe will not change the back firing from the engine, you may hear it more cause there is only one cat in the system, but that's about it!

Dumping pressure from the inlet side of the engine from the BOV will increase the back firing esp if you are using VTA.

4. Default

will always backfire / pop with mods compared to stock... its not running the same as standard with the ecu consistently learning off the sensors of how the car is running, and even with a tune it will still give the occasional pop. just how it goes... trade off, stock and quiet, or modded and loud...

I don't agree... you can remove the poping etc if you have the car setup correctly.

Tune, BOV etc...can make a big difference to the back firing issue.

For me switching the BOV from VTA to re-circ mode did help my backfiring... I still get it though when I push the car to the max through gears.

With my CP_e DP, I found mine only sputters and pops a bit on a stone-cold start, due to the burning of the extra fuel being shot in to warm up the cat as fast as possible. It settles down in 15 seconds to a smooth quiet idle. It is a far more open system and my original setup also backfired occasionally, but now it tends to be audibly "megaphoned" a bit through the larger pipe. When I had the 3" tailpipes on it was even louder. I reverted to stock mid-section pipe and mufflers and have no problems now. Get the BOV set up as per instructions and you'll sort it. I'd go for the Turbosmart for the greatest flexibility and you can fit it in 3o minutes.

Mine will backfire only on a full throttle gear change from 2nd to 3rd and never any other time. It does pop when at low rpmsometimes though.

I have my BOV on full recirc.. no backfire, even with the SRI.

If I have the BOV vta, then it does backfire..

Subsequently, I run full recirc

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    I have my BOV on full recirc.. no backfire, even with the SRI.

If I have the BOV vta, then it does backfire..

Subsequently, I run full recirc
    Wait until you get an exhaust the backfiring will be back
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    Mine will backfire only on a full throttle gear change from 2nd to 3rd and never any other time. It does pop when at low rpmsometimes though.
    Ditto... Sounds tough tho

i have a 1st cat back system and it back fires. ESP when im at high rpm shifting, and running down the speed in 2nd gear.. but i have to agree it sounds tough