User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear Australia Magazine can't handle the torque of an MPS!

Blog Entries

Default Top Gear Australia Magazine can't handle the torque of an MPS!

The September 2009 issue of Top Gear Australia Magazine reviews the 2010 Mazda 3 MPS and it's the first 'not so positive' review I've seen.

Click here to read the article (PDF, 500KB). (apologies for the quality of the scan)

I guess we'll have to wait until next month for the full comparo.

Seriously im so sick of hearing about talk steer???? The MPS was my forst new car and the first car i owned with anypower at all and i never once thougt OMG im about to die!

Dont theese people hold onto the wheel ? If the new MPS cant handle it why does top gear UK love the RS? ....
    They make out like its inpossible to drive straight!
    Anyone else?

This is what ive noticed-

1st Gen (Duggies and Lainos are the only ones I've driven).. Torque Steer as soon as you hit the loud pedal.. if you're not holding the wheel - you will off the beaten track so to speak.

2nd Gen (I own one ) In a dead-straight line, it holds the line, but if you're goin the clappas up an on-ramp... better hold that wheel tight!!

Blog Entries

I actually thought the Torque steer was kinda cool when I drove Doug's car...

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    I actually thought the Torque steer was kinda cool when I drove Doug's car...
    I it ....you get used to it i dont even notice it anymore
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    This is what ive noticed-

2nd Gen (I own one ) In a dead-straight line, it holds the line, but if you're goin the clappas up an on-ramp... better hold that wheel tight!!
    +1 Ha so true.

And u better grab the wheel if ur doing an agreesive overtake!!!!
    My gf got the shock of her life when I overtook this car on the weekend!!!

These blokes need to get to the gym, if they can't handle the torque steer they shouldn't be driving, they might hit a pot hole and flip the car.... i swear Top Gear Aus has something against Mazda

top gear aust can ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Seriously im so sick of hearing about talk steer? .....

.....If the new MPS cant handle it why does top gear UK love the RS? ....
    Perhaps because the RS doesn't Torque Steer anything like the MPS does.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChaMPS View Post
    No offense, but because you've driven them both and that huh?
    Im fairly certain that your opinion of the RS is from what you have read.. and if I have assumed otherwise apologies, which is exactly my point...
    Most people think the MPS will rip off the road and over an old lady as soon as they give it some curry - thanks to these mummas boy motoring journos, im loosing respect fast.. the only thing saving them is Tarmac mag.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

So you've driven one & can tell from experience can you????? Or have you just read it.........dont believe everything you read. Just like the TG article is BS in regards to the MPS having uncontrollable torque steer......all us MPS owners know that its WAY over-exaggerated.

Same time post FTL
    I hate it when that happens..
    At least i wasnt the only one thinking it.

^^^^^What he said..............

Blog Entries

The only reason they complain about torque steer and under steer is because of the lack of oversteer caused by putting the foot down. Motoring journos (generalised) expect fast cars to be able to be drifted, so they can powerslide like Clarkson. It's quite a simple formula:

Journo sports car (SC) review = IF(SC=RWD,"GREAT",IF(SC=FWD,"TOO MUCH POWER TO GO THROUGH FRONT WHEELS","AWD IS THE BEST"))

*NERD ALERT*

Ha ha ha..... I knew that would get a reaction..... and as usual, my mate AD waded in head first.

Firstly, I have driven neither of these cars.... hence why I said "perhaps"....

Secondly, I don't believe everything I read...... especially in car mags, who always have a manufacturer paying the bills.....

But in terms of Lynchy's point, "why can't MPS handle the power without Torque Steer, but the RS gets good reports".......That would be because as surprising as it is (even to me, a one eyed Ford fan)..... it appears that the RevoKnuckle and Quaife LSD combination may actually work......

Like I mention in my article in this forum on Sunday ( Torque Steer ) I was prepared to overtake two cars and was ready for the torque steer and I'm no small fella and was solid boy in my days and before you say anything still am ok, it was scary stuff on the road service I was on but i'm running 457NM...

But my car runs low to mid 400 Nm........ and I wouldn't say I have any torque steer except on severe uneven surfaces......

But my car runs low to mid 400 Nm........ and I wouldn't say I have any torque steer except on severe uneven surfaces......
    This particular rd is uneven pothole patchwork and just a ruff tar not the smooth type you wouldn't want to trip on this road you would end up with no skin.... I myself I don't scare to easy, I've driven some fast cars 700hp + cars .....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 08-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    This particular rd is uneven pothole patchwork and just a ruff tar not the smooth type you wouldn't want to trip on this road you would end up with no skin....
    I wouldn't be flooring it if the road is as ugly as it sounds....

If you read the article ( Torque Steer ) which I put up on Sunday night I had no choice I was watching a XR6 & SV6 Playing and I just had to join in...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast