User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car is backfiring

1. Default Car is backfiring

OK I noticed this the first time on the weekend I revved the car a little before leaving Kiama and I heard it backfire.

I noticed it again today, it did it a few times. I had come up a hill around the roundabout and it split to 3 lanes, I hammered it fairly hard in the far lane to get past all the other cars then pull back into the lanes merging back again down the hill before the next roundabout. So I changed down gear to slow down then also used the brakes as the roundabout was coming up fast. I heard it do short sharp little backfires, not hugely loud but they were still there.

The only thing Ive done recently is put the SRI on, everything else is stock and its also due for its next service in about 1000k.

What could be causing this ? Is it bad ?
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Can't speak for MPS, but XR5's do that all the time.... Nothing to worry about..... If anything, it's a selling point of the car.

A know of a few people that have had to replace their Cats because they were addicted to the Flutter Pop...... and did it to much...

Wait till you have a 3" TBE..... It sounds like a bomb going off....
    Last edited by ChaMPS; 04-09-2009 at 04:56 PM.

3. Default

What type of SRI is it
    Both the Corksport & CP-E don't back fire, the corksport had to be changed for that reason.

Same SRI as mine, but mine has never popped. Mel you could try resetting the ECU, just disconnect the battery for half an hour.

5. Default

Ok I will do that tomorrow

I would recommend the ECU reset as mentioned, also double check all your hoses and clamps are tight and firmly in place, I was getting some pretty big pops (& flames) once when my recirc hose was loose.

stop feeding your car veggies..

Check the BOV hoses, especially the one with the thin diameter at the top (vacuum hose), it may have rubbed through a bit.

Did the reset make it anybetter melski?

10. Default

I think so, on way home today I will replicate the hammering it down inside lane again to get past slow pokes then see if it backfires

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    I think so, on way home today I will replicate the hammering it down inside lane again to get past slow pokes then see if it backfires
    you'd never hammer your beast ....

Hope it's all good
    マツダスピード

Blog Entries

I suspect problem might be solved, I noticed my car burbles and pops alot more with my SRI on it so I think its just the car trying to sort out excess fuel due to the extra air.

Solution get 2 banana's and put them in each exhaust problem fixed.

Did you check that all the hoses were tight? Wondering if my roadside spanner work in the dark of Braidwood was coming undone.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Did you check that all the hoses were tight? Wondering if my roadside spanner work in the dark of Braidwood was coming undone.
    Nah i looked at it and they seemed tight enough plus the SRI is a pretty tight fit anyway no?

Also the recirc was fine too ... hopefully its just the ecu
    マツダスピード

16. Default

was that the same night Mal I offered to look in my tool box for the short shifter

I will give it a good try tonight as everyone will be slow and lame as its raining (esp if there are any MPS3's ) and I wont have any choice but to go around them
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Blog Entries

slow and lame in the rain? jeez not like up here!!! Even I like to give it a squirt in the rain haha Sideways FWD FTW

18. Default

Car is definately fixed now, gave it the same little exciting test as on Friday and no little pop pops anymore Thanks guys

Little pops are cool!

And a BIG POP is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Little pops are cool!

And a BIG POP is awesome
    Exactly.... You shouldn't be fixing it.... You should actively chasing more garble...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast