User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with tyres for my MPS6 needed please!

1. Default Help with tyres for my MPS6 needed please!

Hi
    I got a puncture this week (back right) which cant be repaired! Ouch. Ive been quoted $435 for a new 215/45R18 RE050A to be fitted at Bridgestone. I was shocked as I didnt know anything about my wheels!! ;-)
    My MPS6 is 2 years old with 33,000 klms. Im still on original wheels. A couple of questions:

should i just replace the one for now?

Ive read about possibly changing to 225/45 but dont know anything much. Should I just stick with what they come with?

Also I was reading a UK forum that said something about MPS's needing 93+ Y. Mine came fitted with 89W new from my dealer. Is this a problem??

Would love any advice as Im sitting at home with my yellow spare fiitted and want to get this sorted asap.

I should probably add also that I currently have my MPS for sale if this makes a difference. Only going to sell for the right price though so may end up keeping it longer! Thanks!

Blog Entries

225/45R18 are a good alternative fit to stock rims.
    Anything higher than 89W will be fine.

If the tread wear is significant I would at least replace two tyres. With the MPS6 the AWD electronics might get tricked up having slightly differing sizes on different axle - i.e. 225/45 front 215/45 rear and that might not be good for it, because it will change the loadings on the rear drive clutchpack.

So all four might be a good idea.
    Sumitomo HTRZ-III are inexpensive and excellent bang for buck if they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Samui View Post
    Hi
    I got a puncture this week (back right) which cant be repaired! Ouch. Ive been quoted $435 for a new 215/45R18 RE050A to be fitted at Bridgestone. I was shocked as I didnt know anything about my wheels!! ;-)
    My MPS6 is 2 years old with 33,000 klms. Im still on original wheels. A couple of questions:

should i just replace the one for now?

Ive read about possibly changing to 225/45 but dont know anything much. Should I just stick with what they come with?

Also I was reading a UK forum that said something about MPS's needing 93+ Y. Mine came fitted with 89W new from my dealer. Is this a problem??

Would love any advice as Im sitting at home with my yellow spare fiitted and want to get this sorted asap.

I should probably add also that I currently have my MPS for sale if this makes a difference. Only going to sell for the right price though so may end up keeping it longer! Thanks!

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Yep totally agree Sumitomo's HTRZ-III do the job well for little $$$

4. Default

Id definately change all 4 tyres ... Ive tried the just replace 2 in the past and it doesnt work too well esp on the 6 as it limits ability to rotate etc ... just get a whole new set and rotate them every 5,000k

I was going to offer a spare 215/45 Pirelli (thanks BB) but it wouldn't be worth sending it to VIC.

6. Default

Thanks so much! Ive decided on getting a new set of 4 235/40s by Bridgestone Potenza's. Are these a goer? They are on special so almost the same for 4 as 2 of the 215/45's. Hope IM making a good choice!!! Let me know!

235 wont fit on the standard 7 inch MPS wheels. You need at least 8 inch rims to fit 235.

As mentioned above, the Sumitomo is the best choice of tyre for value and performance. On stock rims the sensible alternative size is 225/45/18. They should be cheaper than tyres in 215/45/18.

vote 1 for changing all 4 tyres, thats what i used to do when i had an awd car, but then again, the mps6 isnt always awd, but i would still do it anyway

if the sumitomo's dont do it for you, then the falken 452s in 225/45/r18 can be had for $200-$250 a corner, fitted, and they go alright

otherwise, you can get a set of gemstones for under $100 a corner fitted, dont know how they go though
    Last edited by kagerou; 03-09-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    the mps6 isnt always awd,
    Unless you pull the hand brake on, the MPS6 is awd 100% of the time. I have a video that demonstrates it.

BTW I had Falken 452's on my MPS and was really unhappy with them.

Gone to Volvo

Goodyear Tyre Sale is currently on with 25% Off when you purchase 4 of their selected tyres.
    25% OFF when you buy 4 selected Goodyear Tyres *, Goodyear Autocare, Australia

Check out the Japanese Goodyear Eagle LS2000 II (225/45/18). I think they are ok for daily driving, at least it is Goodyear.
    Tyre Search, Goodyear Autocare, Australia

Hey Kmh001, why werent you happy with Falken 452?
    Last edited by Los Palmas7; 05-09-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Palmas7 View Post

Hey Kmh001, why werent you happy with Falken 452?
    They performed really poorly in every category. I had Toyo's before them and Pirelli's after them which made the 452's seem like a very poor tyre in comparison. They were spongy, noisy, cornering speeds were significantly lower and they squealed at the slightest lateral load. I'd say the technology of the 452 is out of date.

Gone to Volvo

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    235 wont fit on the standard 7 inch MPS wheels. You need at least 8 inch rims to fit 235.
    Not sure about this now....but Bridgestone fitted them and said they were ok. Mazda Service also recommended these too me.....

Any one had any problems with the kuhmo ecsta spt 215/45/18s? I've got them on the front at the moment ( soon to be all round when the dealer foxes it up) they are $240 a tyre I think.

Blog Entries

Not sure about this now....but Bridgestone fitted them and said they were ok. Mazda Service also recommended these too me.....
    No wonder we have to keep repeating the same "bad fitment" discussions over and over ad nauseum.

235/40 I could see being used where other availability was near nil, say regional and remote areas where the falcodore generic size will make them available.

Doesn't make it a good idea or legal. 8" rims required for all 235's for which I've checked the specs.
    Last edited by Nexus; 05-09-2009 at 10:37 PM.

15. Default

I have spoken to Mazda again and they have assured me there is no problem with these wheels so lets hope this is ok!

16. Default

I run Marangoni Mythos and they work quite well. I was happy with the performance on the 6 so I bought a set of 4 of the same tyres (different size tho) for my other car.

Also running 19 inch Federals RSR (or something like that) for the street but they are a bit noisy

17. Default

You still liking the Marangonig then ? how many k's have you got on them now ? Have u ever tried the Michelin PP2's .. be interested to see how you think they compare if you have

18. Default

yeah I still have marangoni and bought some for my other car as well. They are wearing well. noise is acceptable and grip still good. I don't do much daily on them as I have 19s but they would have seen about 20000kms road and 400 track with about 65-70% thread
    Last edited by t4orce; 16-09-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo

I have spoken to Mazda again and they have assured me there is no problem with these wheels so lets hope this is ok!
    how are the 235's going on the stock rims?
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

20. Default

There's really no reason they wouldn't be OK on the standard rims. Looking at the comparison:

[sorry just formatting the table properly]

Wheel 1:
    Wheel Size: 18x7 ET 55
    Tyre Size: 215/45-18
    Speedo: Assuming stock tyre, speedo is correct.
    Clearance: Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides

Wheel 2:
    Wheel Size: 18x7 ET 55
    Tyre Size: 235/40-18
    Speedo: When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 59.4mph (95.6km/h): 1% slower.
    Clearance Suspension: Package is 10 mm (0.4'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.
    Clearance Fenders: Package will stick out 10 mm (0.4'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.
    Clearance Wheelwells: 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
    Last edited by MattyT; 12-10-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast