User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 - 07 Model with grabby clutch

Default MPS6 - 07 Model with grabby clutch

Hi Guys,
    Although Mazda confirmed the grabby clutch issue is exception to my newly purchase 07-MPS6, I still fine my current clutch grabby and I stall it occasionally. Then again, I havent driven a 05 model for comparison, has anyone outhere heard of 07 model with grabby clutch?
    cheers,

I've got an 06 model. Clutch also seems very grabby and not normal at times, sumtimea it's fine, but other times it's horrible. Mazda
    drove it and say it's 'normal'

3. Default

You do get used to it .. Ive had mine for over 2 years now and will still stall it occassionaly, nearly every person who drives my car stalls it and I had the clutch replacement done (mines an 05 model)

You tend to get used to it and as the km's increase it becomes less of a problem (for me)
    Mine is an Oct 06 build, but when I test drove the 05 build there doesn't seem to be any difference (from memory)

I've moved this to the Tech Talk thread as it's more suited there.
    Cheers

Mines an '07 with 11500km on it. Also has a "grabby" clutch which occassionally catches one. It's a pain when in the daily traffic grind!

Also makes it odd when getting back into the MX5 or the kids Corolla!

I take it in on Wednesday for Mr Mazda to check out the diff whine. Doubt if there is anything that will be done with this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    You do get used to it .. Ive had mine for over 2 years now and will still stall it occassionaly, nearly every person who drives my car stalls it and I had the clutch replacement done (mines an 05 model)
    bb, I thought your MPS had the clutch changed 2 years ago when I test drove it in Pennant Hills. Still stall it?

I remember your clutch feels more linear than mine. But I get used to my clutch since 2005 and kind of like it now.
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate

Thanks Guys...

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    bb, I thought your MPS had the clutch changed 2 years ago when I test drove it in Pennant Hills. Still stall it?

I remember your clutch feels more linear than mine. But I get used to my clutch since 2005 and kind of like it now.

Yeh it was done already that time you drove it at Pennant Hills ... mmmm yes I do still stall it occassionally, mostly in reverse though ... must be a girl thing
    Last edited by blackbetty; 01-09-2009 at 08:14 AM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    You tend to get used to it and as the km's increase it becomes less of a problem (for me)
    Mine is an Oct 06 build, but when I test drove the 05 build there doesn't seem to be any difference (from memory)
    Very true, even since ive had the car.. (ive done 3,000kms in it, total 58,000kms on the car) the clutch has eased up a bit.

I drove 2 05' models, one seemed very bad clutch and drive train wise.. Jolty etc. The other must have had the clutch replaced perhaps....

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Had a meeting with Mr Mazda today (re my diff whine) - got him thinking about the idea of dual coil springs for the resistance for the throttle action - we need a soft one for the intial take off and then the normal one should come into play. "Something for him to think about..."

I guess my view is we have to live with a heavy clutch - but the throttle action can (should!) be adjusted for a smooth pull off (When not trying to be a hoon!) in most 'normal' day-to-day traffic conditions.

As an aside - he commented that he'd had an MPS 6 as a company car for a while - a great cruiser (but he had become accustomed to blipping the throttle for the normal pull-off - he then stalled my car shortly after this comment!)

Quote Originally Posted by IMMX5 View Post
    he commented that he'd had an MPS 6 as a company car for a while
    The service manager of 'Mazda' here in SA stated the same thing and noted the diff whine problem lol

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Back to the clutch...

Has anyone tried this adjustment of the clutch pedal?

Mazda6 / Atenza -> Speed6 Engine/Drivetrain

(see "adjusting the clutch pedal")

I did a trial today - 2 turns out on the clutch pedal stop (so it drops the clutch pedal height) and about one turn on the actuator link (hopefully the same freeplay as before).

Besides some gymnastics to get under the front dash (not that bad really - other cars are worse!) it took about 15 minutes incl. some familiarisation with the original set-up, marking the adjusting bolt and actuator link etc.

So far so good on a short 2-3 km trial run with a good few standing start gentle pull aways. Test will be when the wife uses the car later this evening!

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by IMMX5 View Post
    .... dual coil springs for the resistance for the throttle action... ( comment!)
    Closer look today - throttle mechanism is a "black box" - would have to look inside to see if there is an opportunity...

So... What's the wife said?? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    So... What's the wife said?? Lol
    Definite improvement - brownie points coming (maybe?)