User Tag List

Thread: Can a Tow Bar cause problems with suspension?

Default Can a Tow Bar cause problems with suspension?

Hi Everyone,

Having just purchased a MPS6 with tow bar installed by previous owner.
    I was horrified when reading in the MPS6 manual that it is never meant to be used for towing.

1) Should I remove the tow bar?

2) When cruising over 80kmh, there is a very subtle high pitch noise coming from the back, what could that be? Perhaps previous owner's towing stuff up my suspension?

cheers,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Los Palmas7 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Having just purchased a MPS6 with tow bar installed by previous owner.
    I was horrified when reading in the MPS6 manual that it is never meant to be used for towing.

1) Should I remove the tow bar?

2) When cruising over 80kmh, there is a very subtle high pitch noise coming from the back, what could that be? Perhaps previous owner's towing stuff up my suspension?

cheers,
    I had a towbar on mine for 3 years. The Mazda one for the Mazda6 too, not an aftermarket one (the salesman didn't know it wasn't supposed to be fitted to the MPS, we did the contract with it on. He then found out it wasn't supposed to be fitted , and tried to get them out of it. In the end they gave up trying and made it fit, which involved a bit of extra effort and pain on their behalf).

The MPS6 is brilliant at towing, heaps of torque, pulls hard. Uses more fuel though. I towed a box trailer many times, never had any issues at all.
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Blog Entries

After searching for ages I am getting one fitted hopefully this Friday where BB got hers done...the noise you are hearing around the 80km mark is the rear diff whine...lift you handbrake up a notch and if the noise goes away thats what it is.

I think the guys have covered most of your concerns above. From memory blackbetty has a Hayman Reese towbar and had it certified by an engineer. The only thing I've heard you should watch is what the maximum ball weight of the towbar is as you don't want anything too heavy pushing down on the rear. The common occurence of rear diff whine seems to be what is causing your noise and is nothing really to serious. Lots of discussion on diff whine here:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-response.html

I've also moved this to the Tech Talk forum.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Thanks Guys!! Very much appreciated.

6. Default

I don't have a 6mps but i have a 3mps with a towbar and i have never had an issue with towing anything... carted 1/2 cubic meter of brick sand more than a couple of times with no drama.. They pull like a champion...