User Tag List

Thread: Does Reflashing your ECU void warranty?

Default Does Reflashing your ECU void warranty?

hey guys, ive just recently bought a 2009 mazda 3 mps, which is the latest shape,
    im after more power but dont really want to mod the car due to warranty,
    if i flash tune my car would that void my warranty? would i have big gains? any negative things about it? worth doing? any help would be appreciated guys thanks!
    eg, let me know where to start?
    cheers
    mickee

Altering the operating parameters of the engine is probably the most warranty-voiding thing you can do to a car. That doesn't mean don't buy a tune, it just means that if you're prepared to take the risk you must also be prepared to accept the consequences if it goes wrong.

A lower risk alternative is to do some basic bolt-on mods such as intake and exhaust. These things are less likely to cause engine damage and therefore less likely to cause warranty issues. The power gains are about the same as a tune, but of course if you did both the bolt-on's and a tune you could double the power gains.

So the question is how fast can you afford to go? Basically if you're prepared to self-insure against the cost of an engine rebuild, go for it.

Gone to Volvo

mmm... i am so tempted, i guess i should leave it alone for now then.. hmm.. sri bov tbe would be good tho, mps garage hks bov are they direct bolt on for our cars? or would i have to buy a universal adaptor?

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Altering the operating parameters of the engine is probably the most warranty-voiding thing you can do to a car. That doesn't mean don't buy a tune, it just means that if you're prepared to take the risk you must also be prepared to accept the consequences if it goes wrong.

A lower risk alternative is to do some basic bolt-on mods such as intake and exhaust. These things are less likely to cause engine damage and therefore less likely to cause warranty issues. The power gains are about the same as a tune, but of course if you did both the bolt-on's and a tune you could double the power gains.

So the question is how fast can you afford to go? Basically if you're prepared to self-insure against the cost of an engine rebuild, go for it.
    I love reading your posts they are so spot on the mark everytime....This place would only have useless spam to read if it wasnt for you

I dont know if the current flash tunes eg Chiptorque, could be adapted to the new MPS as the ECU does have a fair few tweaks over the old one, so it may be a little while before anything is available in this regard, as far as basic mods go, if you are concerned about warranty, just do some easy bolt on - bolt off style mods that can be easily removed if necessary, i.e SRI, BOV, TMIC.

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    I love reading your posts they are so spot on the mark everytime....This place would only have useless spam to read if it wasnt for you
    Aww thanks, you just added to the spam. Oh look, so did I.....haha

mickee a TBE and SRI would be a good place to start. The SRI should be mandatory for all MPS's if only so they make the right noises. A down pipe is also worth considering because it's often reported to give the single biggest gain of the bolt-on's.

The BOV wont give you any more power so I'd recommend forgetting the BOV and put the money into mods that make the car more fun to drive, such as a short shifter, WOT box etc.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    I dont know if the current flash tunes eg Chiptorque, could be adapted to the new MPS as the ECU does have a fair few tweaks over the old one, so it may be a little while before anything is available in this regard, as far as basic mods go, if you are concerned about warranty, just do some easy bolt on - bolt off style mods that can be easily removed if necessary, i.e SRI, BOV, TMIC.
    Speaking of TMIC and SRI, step right this way..........
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/group...am-intake.html

Gone to Volvo

WOT Box is a great mod, but usually requires splicing / cutting of the ECU & harness, a practice that Mazda frown upon.

thanks guys! where can i get a short shifter? and has anyone got one of these CorkSport Power Series Short Ram Intake System ? from mps garage? ive got an eye on that hehe, and i dont think they have bolt on tbe's for the 09 mps3 yet? mmm

If you touch the ECU and Mazda find it, Your Fukked, End of Story

Wardies old MPS that had the Xede programmed and that car is now Black listed by Mazda

Better to Go Exhaust and CAI first, then onto suspension for all the fun twisty stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mickee View Post
    thanks guys! where can i get a short shifter? and has anyone got one of these CorkSport Power Series Short Ram Intake System ? from mps garage? ive got an eye on that hehe, and i dont think they have bolt on tbe's for the 09 mps3 yet? mmm
    I have the TWM short shifter + bushings
    MazdaSpeed 3 Short Shifters - TWM Performance
    I believe MPS garage also sell the Cobb double adjustable STS, both will do the job nicely, about a 45 min - 1hr install on either.

The Corksport SRI is a nice kit, and it does come with a TIP (turbo inlet pipe), while a basic SRI (cp-e, Cobb etc) can be swapped in / out in about 30 mins, the inlet pipe will take a lot more time as the TMIC & battery box need to be removed in order to access the clamps, hoses etc on the turbo housing.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

mmm sounds alright! ive just realised everytime i boot my mps black smoke comes out? is it common people are telling me they run quite rich!

Yeah, black smoke is unburnt fuel. They do run rich to keep EGT temps down which prolongs turbo life.

i have an xede chip in mine.. good power and torque gains but i have still managed to have my turbo replaced, under warranty but not to say i havent had issues with my car anyway.. botom line keep it simple an it will also be cheep cheep!!! intake zorst is ya safest best bet!!

done =]