User Tag List

Thread: 2009 MX5 "Sports" v Standard MX5

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Default 2009 MX5 "Sports" v Standard MX5

Perfect timing for the new discussion page......

Hey there everyone,

Not too sure where to ask this but, my wife is keen to leave the Suzuki Swift sports world and come over to Mazda and get a MX5 coupe with the "Sports" pack and I am wondering what is the difference between this and the standard. I have checked out the Mazda site and they say it's just the BBS wheels and Recaro's with Alacantra.

However some other sites say that there is Bilstein shocks as well. Is this just a typo or do they have them fitted.

Does anyone know for sure. I asked on the "other" site but am not getting anything.

Thanks

Damo
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

Ask your Mazda dealer, I'm sure they'd know...

Blog Entries

are you talking about the latest model?

I remember back in '99 and earlier when they did the SE models (or Sports)
    They were would have different wheels and sporty interior and usually just lowered but you would have to check the price difference if they were coming with full shocks or just springs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    Ask your Mazda dealer, I'm sure they'd know...
    Yeah thanks for that Evil, I already did that but as usual with the local dealer they always seem to have the salesmen that know nothing about their products.
    For example the other day when I went and looked at the new MPS: I asked about a couple of things with it and the answer was to every question "ahhh dunno"

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    are you talking about the latest model?

I remember back in '99 and earlier when they did the SE models (or Sports)
    They were would have different wheels and sporty interior and usually just lowered but you would have to check the price difference if they were coming with full shocks or just springs.
    Tricache,
    Thats right I am asking about the new 2009 version.

When I asked a different salesman on a different day about the MX5 "Sports" he had no idea either, he tried to tell me that on the Sports you had the option of leather and it had "bigger" wheels.

Leather comes standard with the coupe (although the sports has Alacantra) and only the softtop can come with the fabric. And the wheels are the same size just a different style.

Anyway just thought someone else might know a bit more or had already got one.

Thanks

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Damo

Site says it all I reckon - if it had more changes then they would show them. Anyway - the $2700 would cover the wheels, Recaro's & Alcantara - not much more IMO.

You can of course get a digital copy of the brochure from the Mazda site...

Attached is some info I grabbed at the time of the Paris show in 2008 - may have some more 'general' info there...

I certainly think the exterior changes look good - particularly in Sunset Yellow - and I understand the engine mods make then a little more dynamic. If I had a spare $51k (and didn't have a 5 already!) thats what I'd be going for. If you are fixed on Bilsteins you can always add later...

You may also be interested in the following link: (albeit it's not an Aus write-up)
    Message2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata: First Drive - 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Jalopnik

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IMMX5 View Post
    Damo

Site says it all I reckon - if it had more changes then they would show them. Anyway - the $2700 would cover the wheels, Recaro's & Alcantara - not much more IMO.

You can of course get a digital copy of the brochure from the Mazda site...

Attached is some info I grabbed at the time of the Paris show in 2008 - may have some more 'general' info there...

I certainly think the exterior changes look good - particularly in Sunset Yellow - and I understand the engine mods make then a little more dynamic. If I had a spare $51k (and didn't have a 5 already!) thats what I'd be going for. If you are fixed on Bilsteins you can always add later...

You may also be interested in the following link: (albeit it's not an Aus write-up)
    Message2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata: First Drive - 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Jalopnik

Thanks for that. The write up was a good read. I agree with what you say about the "extra's", we were just thrown a bit by three or so sites that were listing them (the bilsteins) as being fitted including the John Newell Mazda site (where it still says that they are fitted).
    We took one for a test drive yesterday and it was ok, but didn't really get a chance to give it some. Now we have to get past the dodgy trade-in values they want to give for my wifes car.

Thanks for the input.

Damo

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Blog Entries

So my wife got her 2009 Metropolitan Grey MX5 on Friday arvo and we just came back from a quick drive to Shelly Beach through the ridgeway on the Central Coast where it drove well.

I have heard that the MX5 has a reputation as a Homosexual "Icon" in the USA. The question is, with a guy driving it would it look a "bit gay"?, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Damo
    Last edited by tigamica350; 13-09-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Inserting Pictures

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Quote Originally Posted by tigamica350 View Post
    I have heard that the MX5 has a reputation as a Homosexual "Icon" in the USA. The question is, with a guy driving it would it look a "bit gay"?, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Damo
    yes

Only joking MX5 is known by anyone who knows anything as a drivers car
    マツダスピード

A lot of people say or believe the Mx5 is g@y car (not that there's anything wrong with that !!). Guess how many of the very same people have actually driven one though.........

If you love your car who gives a flying f@&k what anyone else thinks.

...anyway, how can the MX5 be g@y particuarly in the US when PLAYBOY sponsors the MX5 Cup

SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by tigamica350 View Post
    So my wife got her 2009 Metropolitan Grey MX5 on Friday arvo and we just came back from a quick drive to Shelly Beach through the ridgeway on the Central Coast where it drove well.

Damo

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.