User Tag List

Thread: 225 vs 235

Default 225 vs 235

need to get new set of tyre and rim soon, but comparing between 225/45/18 on 7.5" rim and 235/40/18 on 8",
    anyone know which one will get more traction when launch???

Talking 235 much better

I changed my tyres over about 6 months ago from the stock 215/45/18 to Kuhmo 235/40/18 KU25's and the difference is alot.
    Now when you floor it in 1st and 2nd with trac control off she doesn't loose traction what so ever. That little bit of extra rubber on the road helps. I've not rolled the guards and the tyres fit well. MPSMAD!

3. Default

And 235/40/18 are generally a hell of a lot cheaper ... do it

I've found just changing to 8" wide rims helps with understeer so much better.

Unless you are comparing the same brand/design/style 225 and 235, it will be hard to make a decision regarding width.

Personally, on the 3, I would stick to 225 tyres on an 8" rim. If you decide to start changing suspension, offset on rims becomes an issue. I have RX8 rims (+52 offset) and when I fitted coilovers, they scrubbed on the larger diameter struts.

So, in conclusion, make sure you do know where you are going with your cars mods before you decide on going to 235 wide tyres. 225 or 235 tyres are very resonably priced compared with the std 215/45 tyres. Spend the money and buy stickier tyres for traction rather than wider tyres. Too wide will compromise handling in some instances with sidewall flex.

Thank you the help everyone,
    I think I will give 225 a go first, if they are not the one that I want,
    After 1 or 2 year, get 235.

Quote Originally Posted by MPSMad View Post
    I changed my tyres over about 6 months ago from the stock 215/45/18 to Kuhmo 235/40/18 KU25's and the difference is alot.
    Now when you floor it in 1st and 2nd with trac control off she doesn't loose traction what so ever. That little bit of extra rubber on the road helps. I've not rolled the guards and the tyres fit well. MPSMAD!
    Ive got Kuhmo 235/40/18 KU25's also i've had them about 2months..they make my car look so fat

There's something about how they feel that i dont like....cant quite put my finger on it...i had an alignment done on the day, but i think i need to take a visit to our friends at Fulcrum one day soon....

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    Ive got Kuhmo 235/40/18 KU25's also i've had them about 2months..they make my car look so fat

There's something about how they feel that i dont like....cant quite put my finger on it...i had an alignment done on the day, but i think i need to take a visit to our friends at Fulcrum one day soon....
    The offset on your wheels is whacked though, and not right for the car. Prob where the weird feel comes from.

Blog Entries

You need 8" wide rims to do 235/40.
    Best offsets are +48 -> +50
    +45 will fit, but asking for bad rubbing with 8" rims and 235

You will need to roll your guards with any of these fitments, not necessarily because it will rub frequently, but because in unusual circumstances it can and will rub badly - with 8" wide rims risking the tyre being pulled from the rim or sliced open.

Roll your gards. I've had trivial rubbing with 225/45 and +48
    235 on 8" wide rims and it's slice city at +45, even 215 stocker tyres are known to rub in rare circumstances when fitted to 18x8+48

Just because people have fitted worse fitments than that and not experienced rubbing means nothing really, it is a safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    The offset on your wheels is whacked though, and not right for the car. Prob where the weird feel comes from.

I'll whack you old manjust remember they arent staying on the car