User Tag List

Thread: First Drive: 2010 Mazdaspeed3, the five-door sports car evolved

Blog Entries

Default First Drive: 2010 Mazdaspeed3, the five-door sports car evolved

Filed under: Performance, Hatchback, Mazda, First Drive

2010 Mazdaspeed3 - Click above for high-res image gallery

It's easy to dismiss Mazda's "zoom-zoom" tagline as insufferable marketing frippery. Unlike other automakers who relentlessly cling to past motorsport achievements or well-worn brand imagery, with Mazda, there's an overwhelming sense that its U.S. arm is made up of tried-and-true enthusiasts who put a premium on driver involvement and revel in their status as The Little Guy.

It's very grassroots. And it shows.

Each of Mazda's products - from the divine MX-5 to the oft-overlooked CX-7 - embodies everything we want in a vehicle, regardless of size, capacity or utility. They just deliver. Steering, handling, balance - it's all there. And like every other automaker, we know they occasionally leave something on the table, but it never comes at the expense of the car/driver connection. Here's even more evidence: the 2010 Mazdaspeed3.

Gallery: First Drive: 2010 Mazdaspeed3

All photos copyright Damon Lavrinc / Weblogs Inc.

Continue reading First Drive: 2010 Mazdaspeed3, the five-door sports car evolved

First Drive: 2010 Mazdaspeed3, the five-door sports car evolved originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Most reviews are quite positive for the new MPS3....

Yeah allot of love for the new speed 3

but the young fellows don't like the front......

I dont either ....

it is growing after me but yeah can not get past the smiley mouth. i also disappointed with the exhaust tips. they just a chrome cover for the exhaust.

sorry but that front is terrible the whole smiley face thing I dunno...its just wrong

Quote Originally Posted by chipped View Post
    sorry but that front is terrible the whole smiley face thing I dunno...its just wrong
    Dont be sorry, you are not alone
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Another link (albeit from the USA) to a First Drive of the new MPS3...

Driven: 2010 Mazdaspeed3 | NextAutos.com and Winding Road

...if you come to the Speed3 table with expectations of a sports car, the rowdy nature and certain bad manners are going to let you down. But if you approach the car like a kind of Nuevo, front-drive muscle car for the Millennial-set, you’re likely to think of it as perhaps the greatest car ever made.

I would have to agree,after 3 yrs of orig MPS3 and now having 2weeks of new series 3 ,they are like chalk and cheese. The new one is def more refined ,forget cosmetics,the new one handles better,has more linnial delivery of power. It gets my vote.

Is "refind" a technical term for "boring to drive"................lol

Nope, refined as in you just took a bend at 80km/h that you used to only take at 70km/h and you think, I should have put my foot down harder kind of refined. The new one is seriously confidence inspiring. It just feels more like a purpose engineered sports car rather than and a normal 3 with in insane turbo added and some tuning done. But I have to be honest, I only test drove the old 3 for about 10mins, and owning a new one I am obviously biased

Either way, while different, they both are awesome cars and you'd be proud to own it no matter what vintage
    I own a red one

Quote Originally Posted by RedMPS View Post
    Nope, refined as in you just took a bend at 80km/h that you used to only take at 70km/h and you think, I should have put my foot down harder kind of refined. The new one is seriously confidence inspiring. It just feels more like a purpose engineered sports car rather than and a normal 3 with in insane turbo added and some tuning done. But I have to be honest, I only test drove the old 3 for about 10mins, and owning a new one I am obviously biased

Either way, while different, they both are awesome cars and you'd be proud to own it no matter what vintage
    you are right there red. took one with nasa for a test drive. they have done a lot on the handling. the handling was damn good. is not as explosive as the old gen in acceleration but they have done a lot of work on the traction control from the short ride i went on
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

I have been throwing mine at corners and am sooo impressed. Very good for a FWD! very happy with what they have done

...now for a rainy day...that will sort it out i reckon...