User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 224kW, AWD Mazdaspeed3 Shelved, But for Good Reason?

Blog Entries

Default 224kW, AWD Mazdaspeed3 Shelved, But for Good Reason?

Mazda has canceled plans for a high-power Mazdaspeed3 Evolution, fearing the beginnings of a performance arms race, Motor Trend has learned. According to the automaker, outfitting the new Speed3 with 300 hp and all-wheel drive would have set its price point and competitive set beyond the hatchback's demographic.

The impetus behind Mazda's decision? The third-generation RX-7. The brilliant coupe arrived on our shores as a 1993 model. It was a thoroughbred sports car, with 252-hp from its twin-turbo 1.3L rotary, a track-ready suspension, and a limited-slip differential. The package was so impressive, we dubbed it "Import Car of the Year." Problem was that RX-7 was $30,000. Sales dropped off a cliff, and it left our shores after the 1995 model year.

Mazda reportedly had the parts ready for a higher spec Speed3 -- the hatchback's transmission is the same unit found in the departed Mazdaspeed6, and all-wheel drive is reportedly easily adaptable. But, by opting against it, the automaker hopes to have avoided the slippery slope that claimed the RX-7. To a certain extent, it's an issue Mitsubishi and Subaru have also faced with the Lancer Evo and WRX STI.

Besides, with 263-hp and 280 lb-ft of torque, the Mazdaspeed3 trounces its competitive set on output. But behind the wheel?

[Source: Motortrend]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Not quite the same as we were discusiing Lynchy...

Still not buying it. An awd MPS3 would be competing with the WRX not the Sti. The awd pov pack MPS 6 was around the same price as a WRX so I don't see why an awd MPS3 can't be done for $3k-$4k more than the fwd. Definitely not STi money.

Stop making excuses Mazda and just build the bloody thing!!

I dont think an MPS3 AWD would price $3k-$4k more, Mazda would price at least $10k more..., would still price cheaper than the overpriced STI so yeah Mazda cmon!!!!

5. Default

God damn it wheres my MPS6 wagon

@ at any wagon

MPS6 wagon would be nice....but a MPS2 would be even better...

come on Mazda dabble in some major spl go fast models...

I love wagons. How cool would it be to blow the doors off some bogan in a HSV GTS while driving a fairly ordinary looking station wagon. Imagine something like a little Volvo V50 putting down 250 awd kw. I'd even wear a hat and put a tissue box on the dash to complete the image.

9. Default

I think we are more interested in the AWD part that comes with the MPS6 Dave

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    God damn it wheres my MPS6 wagon
    If they made one I would buy it.

300hp is about 220kw... solidly in STI territory. An AWD MPS with 220kw....... that would be interesting, better looking if nothing else

but with USA going for bigger and V6 in their Mazda6 the thought of a new MPS6 is a dream....not inpossible but since the guys said at the MPS day we watch and rely on what the yanks do..

13. Default

yeh how about something like this with the bonnet bulge and the body kit with skirts etc

move over Subaru there is a new AWD turbo wagon on the prowl...only if.

The new 6 wagon with the 3.7 V6 from the CX-9 and AWD would = major win. Be a great Passat R36 competitor...

Here's to hoping Mazda does do an AWD 3 MPS at some stage too, shame they shelved the idea.

but then you just don't know with manufactures.......

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    yeh how about something like this with the bonnet bulge and the body kit with skirts etc

did anyone notice the commadore wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by spastic View Post
    I was about to comment on that myself...

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    ould still price cheaper than the overpriced STI so yeah Mazda cmon!!!!
    In what way is the STi overpriced?. Sounds like its not if Mazda cant make an MPS 3 for the same price as a standard WRX. is up with that!

Using your logic, you would have to also think that at almost 48k fully optioned on the road, the MPS 3 is even more over priced and there is a distinct lack of "branded" performance parts on the MPS. Spend 10k more and you get yourself an Evo X base model with AWD, brembos, recaros and all the other goodies

I'm not convinced that Mazda has put even the current MPS 3 in the right price range. I mean for the same $, you're getting same power, AWD etc, in the WRX (and they both share a distint ugliness). Common sense applies here - Mazda have ovbiously got it wrong from the start, and should have put the MPS 3 in the 30-35k price range, and an AWD MPS 3 would be in the same price range as the discontinued MPS 6 If they cant make an AWD MPS for the same price as Subaru, then the WRX must be underpriced...

Mazda know they're on a good thing (FFS every man and his dog owns a Mazda 3 of some sort), and the less they have to do and spend on R&D and a new parts bin, the better off they will be financially in the short term. Call it an executive decision, don't fob us off with your excuses Mazda.. Its all just smoke and mirrors... and beneith if all, a total crock of $hit
    Last edited by Wardski; 23-08-2009 at 08:38 PM.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spastic View Post
    Its a photoshopped example sorry, so yes they are commodre rims, just showing that a 6 wagon is not ugly or vomit and would be an awesome option for Mazda to make a new MPS6 in that shape
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast