User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 launch technique

Default MPS6 launch technique

I am new to my 05 MPS6 and have tried a few traffic light dashes but have a few questions about the best launch technique for a 6 MPS.

I tried the techinque I used with my old Galant VR4 (turbo4,4WD) and the clutch nearly fried itself. I revved the engine to about 4000 and dropped the clutch. It took a while to hook up (probably the clutch burning) and then it started to move off.

So I don't go through clutches quicker then fuel, any suggestions???

On a related topic, during each gear change I notice the engine takes a bit before it recognises that I have the accelorator pedal to the floor. I can only assume its the drive by wire. Any way to improve this???

Thanks for the help.

2. Default

I dont know if its my imagination or wishful thinking but after getting the SRI from Mals group buy last week, Im positive my care feels more responsive and much smoother between gear changes ... its the best $200 I ever spent

Hey mate, the 4000rpm launches seem to be (for me anyway) the quickest way to get my beast off the mark (in neck snapping fury I must add) My first few tries at this when I first got her made me cringe with all clutch frying, but after I while I got better at it. I seemed to find a balance between a split second of slipping the clutch and sliding your foot off, when this happens it connects and launches like no tomorrow with no burnt clutch smells

On your gear changes does it seem more like a stutter rather than a delay? I don't seem to get the hesitation but the occassional stutter when I change from 2nd to 3rd usually at WOT?

Some info on the stutter/hesitation here

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

BB, has the SRI caused a check engine light which I have read about on the forums? If not then I might get one too. My plans include the usual route of SRI, exhaust, dump pipe, and computer mods to hopefully get 200kw at the wheels. I am still under warranty though so not sure when I will install the SRI though.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

shakespear, thanks for that. I will play with the launch with a little bit of slip. Will keep an eye on the hesitation/delay during the 1-2 gear change.

On a related topic I notice you have King Springs installed. Do you find that they reduce the back to front body movement during gear change. I never noticed anything like this in my 200sx, but it did have firm suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post

On a related topic, during each gear change I notice the engine takes a bit before it recognises that I have the accelorator pedal to the floor. I can only assume its the drive by wire. Any way to improve this???

Thanks for the help.
    I've noticed this as well on my 3MPS, on gear changes it feels like there's a half second delay with buiding boost again as the car isnt slowing down, just not accelerating HARD.

On REALLY abusive(read:harsh/fast) gear changes I've found that its not too bad.
    ^^^The message is up there stupid^^^

BB, has the SRI caused a check engine light which I have read about on the forums? .[COLOR="Silver"]

No CEL with SRI's as far as i know
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    I dont know if its my imagination or wishful thinking but after getting the SRI from Mals group buy last week, Im positive my care feels more responsive and much smoother between gear changes ... its the best $200 I ever spent
    Group Buy? Did I miss something?

8. Default

not a group buy as such but EOI and Mal arranged to bring me one of the protoype models early as im quite pushy ... u saw him fitting it at Yass

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    not a group buy as such but EOI and Mal arranged to bring me one of the protoype models early as im quite pushy ... u saw him fitting it at Yass
    i know....

[/COLOR]shakespear, thanks for that. I will play with the launch with a little bit of slip. Will keep an eye on the hesitation/delay during the 1-2 gear change.

On a related topic I notice you have King Springs installed. Do you find that they reduce the back to front body movement during gear change. I never noticed anything like this in my 200sx, but it did have firm suspension.
    Hey Penguin, I did have Kings but recently switched to Cusco Coilovers, which I'm much happier with. The Kings reduced some of the lift at the front and rear compression under full rpm launches, the Cusco's have pretty much eliminated it, it also corners much flatter than the Kings (I had these on stock shocks) FYI I still have them sitting in my garage! Also my hesitation mainly occurs on 2-3 shifts.

Thanks for the reply shakespeare.
    With hesitation I tried the suggested quicker and harsher 1-2 shift and it has elliminated the hesitation. Probably being kind on the gearbox as I have only had the car a few days.
    I would be interested in the springs, however I would think the postage from WA would probably make it unecconomical compared to new ones. Let me know how much you would want to part with them. Also any idea of weight so I can calculate postage.

Thanks for the reply shakespeare.
    With hesitation I tried the suggested quicker and harsher 1-2 shift and it has elliminated the hesitation. Probably being kind on the gearbox as I have only had the car a few days.
    I would be interested in the springs, however I would think the postage from WA would probably make it unecconomical compared to new ones. Let me know how much you would want to part with them. Also any idea of weight so I can calculate postage.
    PM sent