User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diff whine - and Dealer/Mazda response

I think uneven tyre wear in the front and rear will also cause the vibration due to different rolling circumference. I have mistakenly put 215/45 tyre in the front and 225/45 at the rear and I had the diff vibration problem. After changing all the tyres the problem went away. I have 05 MPS and has been done 60000km. So far I never experience any diff wine problem in any speed. Probably lucky.

Will post something more substantial when not. On iPhone.
    Went to Clare today (in south aus) bout 150kms from adelaide city. Driving the way there no problems bar the annoying constant whine!!!!and occasional vibration.

However on way home.. About 70kms into the journey the 4WD light stArts flashing!!!
    We pulled over and looked at the manual. Idled for about 1minute and then shut the car off and wAited a few minutes and started again... Light was off. All good.
    Until another 50kms it did it again. So... Took a video of it for good old Mazda.

Apart from irritating my wife. I had my inlaws in the car also lol great hey

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

I still believe your diff is trying very hard to match the speed of the front tyre and rear tyre. When it overheat, it could cause 4WD light will start flashing... better get it checked ASAP before the replacing the whole diff... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    I still believe your diff is trying very hard to match the speed of the front tyre and rear tyre. When it overheat, it could cause 4WD light will start flashing... better get it checked ASAP before the replacing the whole diff... good luck.
    Thanks mate. Yea my first thoughts were that the oil is heating up due to frOnt - rear differences. The diff whine is that bad I'm guessing the diff will have to be replaced under warranty anyway. I drop the car off tomorrow again to Mazda so I'll post up the response.

Thanks guys

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Ok After a long day i finally have something to report.

I dropped my car off at Mazda this morning. Got a call at about 1pm stating that the Mazda Head service manager reported that he knows about the issue and the incorrect front to rear tyres will cause oil overheating and some vibrations.
    They said in order to assess the actual 'WHINE' from the diff proply the first step would be to get the proper tyres on the car.
    Peter Page Holden (SA) put new KUHMO 215/45/18 tyres on the 'FRONT' of the car but left the rear tyres as standard- Bridgestone 215/45/18.

So i rang PPH (PPH= peter page holden, from now on)
    The Sales Manager said that Mazda were feeding me a crock of "poo".
    I stated that i in fact know that on most awd cars like this one tyres sizes are important.
    He argued and agued.. and argued until he said he would call me back.
    he calls me back 10 mintues later saying he spoke to his mate where all the tyres are fitted and brought from (BobJanes) and then, and ONLY then he said that the TYRES MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM because his mate had said it could actually be true.

Sales Manager offered to pay half the cost. There bill was $490.00 for 2 of the KUHMO tyres. (so $245 was my share)
    I told him im not happy with that etc and then again... Some more arguing and debating about AWD diffs etc etc.

I told him ill call him when im ready.
    I then rang CONSUMER AFFAIRS... I was told that yes infact that if Mazda say that the vehicle has not been kept up to the Mazda Service standard because all 4 tyres were not replaced then PPH HAD TO REPLACE THE TYRES ACCORDINGLIY AT THEIR COST. ( its pretty obvoius where the fault lies)

So MAzda ring back. They say that they will give me the report to give to PPH if i need it.
    i ring PPH back... He denies liability and sticks by saying he will HELP ME OUT and pay half the cost. I told him to ring Mazda, Consumer Affairs etc.... so he did.
    Rings me back 15 mintues later and says i spoke to your Mazda Dealer and another well known Mazda dealer and they both stated that correct tyres etc and tyre depths etc are all in the service book.
    The Sales Manager from PPH QUICKLY changed his tune. (it was very funny actaully)
    He said that i can go get the tyres fitted and then go to Mazda and if Mazda inspect and say that the problem is either gone\less then PPH will reimburse me the $490.00 for the tyres.

I said "THATS A GREAT IDEA! IM HAPPY WITH THAT, JUST ONE MINOR CHANGE PAUL... HOW ABOUT YOU PAY FOR THE TYRES AND THEN ILL GO BACK TO MAZDA AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU THEIR REPORT, IF IT COMES BACK THAT THE TYRES are not TO BLAME THENSEND ME THE BILL FOR THE TYRES"
    He went silent.. um'd and arh'd... Then said- "You know what how about you come down to our BobJane Dealer and get the tyres fitted, the bill will be payd by us and you drive away, end of story"

I then thanked him for his time and told him i shall se him Monday

I do sincerly hope if someone else has this problem out there that they can be helped by my experiance.

Thanks all for listening!!
    In amongst all of this... Mazda could not find any codes on the ECU of the 4WD light coming on etc.?!?!?!?! The manager was VERY puzzled as i showed him the video of it flashing on and off for about 1 minute.
    Strange???

Ill post up next what the tyres do and iff Mazda find the "WHINE" to be a diff problem.
    Last edited by nissanman; 28-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.

6. Default

Thats awesome news and well dont for you for sticking it to PPH, hope the problem goes away

Blog Entries

Brilliant work. Well done... dif in my MPS6 was replaced at about 15,000km. By 25,000 the whine was back. Never bothered getting it replaced again. Last service before I sold it they dropped the diff off, reattached and re-torqued all the mounts and the whine went away... for 4 days. ...

That is good work and goes to show that sometimes you just have to not accept what the sales people tell you and pursue the matter. Hopefully the diff issues get fixed.

btw love your new Signature Swallowtail

Blog Entries

He he he...

Went to get tyres fitted on Monday.. They ordered KUHMO ECSTA SPT 215/35/18s
    They apologised but i think its a tad obvoius that they are just screwing me around. I told them on the phone the brand and tyre size. He said they have it on the old order form from when they ordered the other pair so go figure.

Have to wait for a week until the actaul KUHMO ECSTA SPT 215/45/18's arrive from Queensland. Then up to Mazda again.

Cheers

Took the car in to have Mr Mazda have a look (listen!) on Wednesday. Had a call from the dealer Friday that they are ordering a new diff mount from Japan...

It may all take a while but at least acknowledgment and action...

Quote Originally Posted by IMMX5 View Post
    Took the car in to have Mr Mazda have a look (listen!) on Wednesday. Had a call from the dealer Friday that they are ordering a new diff mount from Japan...

Exactly! At least they are trying different things! Let us know how
    you go mate

Mazda have replaced my broken diff mount with the new improved one, and for me the vibrations and knocking are worse than the original before it broke. So hopefully you have better luck! I'm looking to go back to stock sized tyres as my service manager is adamant that non standard tyre sizes are causing diff wind up which they are convinced is what has broken my bolts and mount! Also ordered a CP-E diff mount, I've heard from Nuliaj that his car is smooth with this mount!

See this thread for more info

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...html#post51425
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

UPDATE on my case:

Finally got the tyres fitted, a pair of brand new 215/45/18 Kuhmo Ecsta spt's.
    I asked them to put the 3,000km old kuhmos on the rear and put the brand new ones on the front.

WOW! The difference! It shifts into gear better! 80% less vibrations when slowing down in any gear. No shudder when lifting off the throttle.
    As far as i could tell the vibrations had gone at 80-100kph! I think the whine has gone to, but going to wait to report on that one until tonight when my wife is a passenger in the car.

All in all... ROTATE YOUR TYRES and or replace all four at the same time!

Car actaully glides better, seems swifter (not outright 30kw lol faster) but just smoother and breezes down the road when boost is used. (perhaps the rear diff is not going nuts and now more power is actaully getting to the ground) perhaps.

Off to mazda to see if theres any mechanical damage.

Talk soon.

Thanks Everyone

Just saw this thread.

With any AWD system, the front and rear diffs should all be spining at the same speed.

Of course there is a bit of slack, but when you replace new tyres on the front and old tyres on the back, the wheel rotation speed is significant enough to cause problems. It will do is heat the oil to a certain level that causes a sensors to go off. Hence the 4WD light that people are talking about.

If you continue to drive on the light, there is a good chance you will break both the front and rear diffs in the car. Trust me, i've seen it happen to my cousin's MPS 6 and it ain't pretty. If you get this light on the MPS6 and you've only changed 2 tyres, go back and buy 2 more!

Either that, or get a grade of oil for the rear diff that supports high temperatures.(and put it in the diff that has the smaller wheels attached)

Like nissanman's post above, you have to rotate the tyres every 10-15k, and when you replace tyres, replace all 4 at once. Buying 2 can cause serious problems(and when it's not covered under warranty it's costly!)
    Last edited by lazydog; 16-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

Update...

Broke my rear diff last Sunday.... Car is off the road till I get it fixed.

The rear diff was leaking oil from the drivers side driver shaft.... I just took it down to MPS Garage to see if they can fix it, cause i'll be interstate for the next 2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    Update...

Broke my rear diff last Sunday.... Car is off the road till I get it fixed.

The rear diff was leaking oil from the drivers side driver shaft.... I just took it down to MPS Garage to see if they can fix it, cause i'll be interstate for the next 2 weeks!
    WOW! not good mate.

(ill post up what Mazda said when i get a free minute)
    Cheers

....they are ordering a new diff mount from Japan...

OK - so I had the call from the dealer yesterday and the car is currently in their shop. They have never done this before... I was/am hoping to see what the difference is between the one fitted originally and the new one - changed design or rubber hardness or??

Hopefully later today we'll see if there is any improvement.

Mazda say my ''problem'' is normal of an MPS. No need to worry about it etc etc etc,
    Look, they seemed nice about it and are even ordering in a new door seal for me as it squeeks when closing the window so they are helpful and nice its just hard when they say that creaking when you take the clutch out is normal, a little bit of diff whine is 'Normal' etc etc....
    They did say if it gets worse or you see oil in the engine bay (apparently oil filled engine mounts letting go) let us know.

I dont know... im getting a bit over it at the moment... Going to give it a rest for a few weeks and then if it gets worse ill go back again.

IMMX5 - Let us know what your improvements are with the mount...... CHeers

OK - so only had a short run back from the dealer to work yesterday and then back home last night. (The boss has her car back today for the day - no problem I'm back in my 5!! - and it's a clean day today!!).

Net result is that the diff whine is still there but nowhere near as intrusive (and thus just about acceptable) - in fact if you don't know about it then one probably wouldn't pick it. Massive improvement in fact!

I reckon I need to put some more k's under the belt before I can satisfy myself it's "acceptable" - and before the dealer/Mazda hears the last from me on this.

The only change I believe that was noticeable was the fact the are between the gussets on both sides was left solid - and not cast out. The other change was the fitting of some honeycomb type "bump-stop". Need to have a closer look maybe this w/e.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-09-24_084157.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1297  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast