User Tag List

Thread: Rendered Speculation: 2012 Mazda MX-5 could go lighter and smaller

Blog Entries

Default Rendered Speculation: 2012 Mazda MX-5 could go lighter and smaller

Filed under: Convertible, Mazda

Now celebrating its 20th anniversary, the Mazda MX-5 (or Miata) has shown remarkable resilience to the bloating trends of age. While other automakers tend to make new cars bigger and fatter with each successive generation, notwithstanding the optional retractable hardtop version, the Mazda roadster has remained relatively compact and light on its feet. But while the MX-5 Superlight concept due to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show takes the current Miata into ever lighter territory, reports suggest that the next-generation model could prove even lighter.

With a compact four-cylinder engine and lightweight chassis, the replacement for the current MX-5 is reportedly being prepared for its debut in 2012. What this would mean, however, for the fate of the reputed MX-2 - a speculated sub-Miata roadster - remains to be seen.

[Source: Auto Motor und Sport]Rendered Speculation: 2012 Mazda MX-5 could go lighter and smaller originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    Last edited by armthehomeless; 19-08-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Give it a hairdryer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mpsJOE View Post
    Give it a hairdryer!
    Nah its a MX5, they work so much better with a supercharger *evil laugh*

We've seen a turbo MX5 annihilate the rest of the field at Bathurst including the exotics: a DISI turbo engine in the next MX5 would probably be the only thing that would entice me out of an AWD. Image the sense of balance you could achieve with all that torque in such a light-weight package. It would be the ultimate driving experience. Dream on.....

*drools* thats would be amazing Mal

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    We've seen a turbo MX5 annihilate the rest of the field at Bathurst including the exotics: a DISI turbo engine in the next MX5 would probably be the only thing that would entice me out of an AWD. Image the sense of balance you could achieve with all that torque in such a light-weight package. It would be the ultimate driving experience. Dream on.....
    *hides boner*
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

7. Default

I'd be more inclined to buy the VW Bluesport. Looks more man-ly, and less the freakin smile. Ever since i sold my MX-5 SP, I've not looked at it since - purely because naturally aspirated just aint any fun.

On a positive note, aside from the front, I do like the flared guards which remind me of the STi
    Last edited by Wardski; 19-08-2009 at 06:13 PM.

MX-5 smaller?? Aww man... I'll never get to drive one