User Tag List

Thread: My MPS a little underwhelming

Default My MPS a little underwhelming

Hi Guys,
    Firstly this is not a trash the MPS3 post but after reading all the reviews in car mags etc..etc..as to how "overpowered" and "out of control for a FWD" etc...etc...this car is (stock) I really must disagree.
    My ex-dealer demo unmodified '08 MPS3 really feels quite tame compared to alot of review/write ups. I struggle to get wheelspin/bunnyhop in dry conditions. 0-100 feels tame as compared to my traded tuned Polo gti (160kw/350nm with plenty of dry wheel spin in 1st and 2nd if not controlled properly.) I think the MPS3 IS as fast 0-100 but as it has an extra gear change on the way up and as it is bigger it just doesn't FEEL as fast. I am also wondering if I am one of those who has the less powerful "173KW" he,he,mystery MPS3 as some other members have had.
    I guess if I'm in doubt to the pwr output of the car I should get it DYNO'd?
    Sure I'll be in for an Exede or flash in a few months but I certainly don't feel the MPS3 stock "SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWD" like all the critics say - it holds itself easily in most conditions. I was of the expectation with this purchase that I would be constantly struggling with an almost untameable beast but with all the torque steer sensors, restricted boost in 1st and 2nd, LSD, TSC etc.etc..I find it quite easy drive to manage. So far I have an CPE Engine mount. Cobb SRI and Cobb springs on the way...

Cheers

you know what i would have to completely agree...

i kinda wish there wasnt the boost limiting in 1st and 2nd also...

Quote Originally Posted by Ante View Post
    you know what i would have to completely agree...

i kinda wish there wasnt the boost limiting in 1st and 2nd also...
    he,he...Mazda..just let me decide if I can handle it or not.

i agree here... not out of control at all.... power is great on the roll..... im running the piggy back comp.... gives me 230kw at the fly!! inc induction.. still i dont feel the problems.... all good fun

Hmmm...Im confused!!!!

Im for one struggle to find traction in 1st and 2nd gear and get wheel spin all the time, even on a roll on from 40-50kph on 2nd gear I can get the tyres to scream fighting to get a grip.

The torque steer is all BS, people whining about it obviously have girly arms...., heck there is even chicks driving MPS that dont have issues with the torque steer...they are my kinda girls
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Hmmm...Im confused!!!!

Im for one struggle to find traction in 1st and 2nd gear and get wheel spin all the time, even on a roll on from 40-50kph on 2nd gear I can get the tyres to scream fighting to get a grip.

The torque steer is all BS, people whining about it obviously have girly arms...., heck there is even chicks driving MPS that dont have issues with the torque steer...they are my kinda girls
    Hmmm now I'm confused Nirvandan are you modded?
    I wish I had the opportunity to fight torque steer but as stock I rarely get it.

You do get torque steer from time to time, hardly any on straight line but try flooging it on fast corner and you will get some.

As for the traction, I have couple of mods but not enough modded really

Even with traction ON I still get plenty of wheel spin in first. 2nd will also break loose as well from a low down rolling start. And it quite often feels on the verge of breaking traction in 3rd given the right conditions. And I agree with Nirv, you will feel it most powering thru a corner rather on straight line acceleration. Mine is stock apart from the CAI. So if yours feels as "sluggish" as you imply then I'd be seeking out some kinda problem. Are you in Brisbane? If so, go for a spirited run up Mt Nebo road and try a few of the curves up there (obeying all the speed limits of course). You will feel the torque steer on some of those corners.
    Cheers, Clarry
    Mods: MazdaSpeed CAI, Blue Callipers, Custom Striping ("whiskers"), Garmin Nuvi 760, ScanGauge II, MPS FloorMats

9. Default

i found the same thing... i finally drove one the other day and expected way more. torque steer wasn't any where near as bad as i had read (you guys are right...peopel who complain shoudl dry their eyes)...but the power from stand still and rolling wasn't what i was expecting. i still love the mps but i had my bubble burst thats for sure....

ive been looking at one at ferntree gully nissan.red......hot!!....

ARMEN!

Ohh and the nugget is the same... hard to get traction when you plant it in 2nd at 40ks... oh the fun

If you come from a FWD previously, then you may not notice the torque steer, I don't notice it in mine (slightly modded), but, I let a mate drive it (RWD owner) and all I hear is OH! the torque steer is terrible. Maybe you are just used to the torque steer. my thoughts anyway.

How many km's do you have on your's chipped? I found with my 6 it really started to feel more responsive and quicker after 10,000kms, around this time the motor has had time to loosen up and feels more willing to go to the redline!

Hmmm...Im confused!!!!

With very near dead OEM tyres, I'm finding that first is fried only on full throttle, and into second if I thrash the car. very rarely do I have traction issues from a rolling start in second gear on.

I have had the software in my ecu "upgraded" by mazda though, with a noticeable difference in power delivery.
    ^^^The message is up there stupid^^^

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    How many km's do you have on your's chipped? I found with my 6 it really started to feel more responsive and quicker after 10,000kms, around this time the motor has had time to loosen up and feels more willing to go to the redline!
    Hi Shakesphere, yeah I'm only at 3000km so very new engine. I try where is safe and away from others giving it a sensible workout to keep the ECU on its feet in these early days.
    I think going from the flashed Polo Gti which had very little in the way of torque steer sensing, boost limits etc..etc..it was much more prone to wild wheel spin and torqe steer which I kinda expected to have more of in the MPS not less BUT I guess all this technology is keeping those elements under control which I'm not used to.

Hmmm...Im confused!!!!

You need RT615's
    With the stockers i used to get plenty of
    not now
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Hmmm...Im confused!!!!

Torque steer sold the car to me

I find I only get torque steer if I'm not going dead straight... I love it, thats the animal in her

Meh i have arms so tourque steer dosent bother me

Well I must confess that afer installing a Cobb SRI my tune has changed. I wasn'r really expecting much of a performance increase with this mod but I certainly notice more power and wheel spin under hard acceleration!!
    Yaya maybe a Downpipe and High FLow cat next!!