User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to buy a 6 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Love my 6, its not the car a drove away in 3 years ago though! Its still nice to drive and its a practical choice
    Half the power on my car is snoozing, I did return the car to mazda in the warranty period but they said nothing was wrong with it! Newcastle mazda are clowns so do your research on who knows these cars!
    I had trouble getting details so I could fix the car myself, being a mechanic I find it hard to put my car in the hands of others.
    The car is great its just lack of care from the dealer that has spoiled it!
    If anyone can suggest the best dealer or other tuner for my car please send me a message!
    Good luck! Happy mazda'n!
    Hey mate I live at Dora Creek and have always taken my SP23 to newcastle mazda. Nice enough guys there in the service department but now I have an MPS6 I'm a bit worried as to where to take it. It's got a 3 month stat dealer warranty so need a full inspection/check of everything before that expires.

You ever noticed that their labour charges on servicing are totally inconsistent? I swear they charged me double once they saw my cold air intake and the exhaust on my sp23.

Let me know if you find somewhere decent to go.

2. Default

Thought I might tack onto the end of this thread - a friend of mine is looking at the MPS6 and I went along with him to check it out. It was in good condition, I didn't get a chance to drive it, but it seemed nice and smooth (better ride than my 3!) no vibrations or noises on the freeway.

But I looked underneath and checked out the rear transfer case and noticed there was oil running down the LH driveshaft, caked in dirt.

Is this an imminent sign of failure on the rear end? I didn't notice any issues with the mounts, but I couldn't get right under.

Brendan

congrats on ur purchase... pics of the car when u get a chance

If you put in a Standback, i'll send you my maps.

That should get you going.

The car is a totally different machine with an intake and exhaust. I have been known to pull away from Evo8/9 and HSV on the straights, not to mention the F6 I chopped at WSID a few months back!

The biggest problem i had with mazda is everytime i took it back they put a new flash in the ECU and it ended up knocking back the boost! 2 or 3 times back to mazda and i ended up running about 12-13psi(which is silly when the MPS6 starts off at 14.9 or so!)

Let's be honest, the Mazda dealers have NFI when it comes to this engine. Limited workshops actually know what they are doing!
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by DJIntegr8 View Post
    Thought I might tack onto the end of this thread - a friend of mine is looking at the MPS6 and I went along with him to check it out. It was in good condition, I didn't get a chance to drive it, but it seemed nice and smooth (better ride than my 3!) no vibrations or noises on the freeway.

But I looked underneath and checked out the rear transfer case and noticed there was oil running down the LH driveshaft, caked in dirt.

Is this an imminent sign of failure on the rear end? I didn't notice any issues with the mounts, but I couldn't get right under.

Brendan
    From memory, rear diff and/or transfer case seals can be a common problem with the MPS6. If it wasn't vibrating or clunking then I think you'd be safe..just a usual sorta leak that isn't too hard to fix.

Do a hard start with the window down...that's how I picked up the diff mount in mine was loose during the test drive.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    If you put in a Standback, i'll send you my maps.

That should get you going.

The car is a totally different machine with an intake and exhaust. I have been known to pull away from Evo8/9 and HSV on the straights, not to mention the F6 I chopped at WSID a few months back!

The biggest problem i had with mazda is everytime i took it back they put a new flash in the ECU and it ended up knocking back the boost! 2 or 3 times back to mazda and i ended up running about 12-13psi(which is silly when the MPS6 starts off at 14.9 or so!)

Let's be honest, the Mazda dealers have NFI when it comes to this engine. Limited workshops actually know what they are doing!
    Hey Lazydog,

What's your corksport exhaust like? I've heard they're really loud and was considering spending the extra to get the CPE gear instead. Sorry to hijack the thread a bit....

Did you fit it all yourself? Hard job?

Thanks

Brendan
    Hey Brendan, is the oil leak coming from the diff? The transfer case leak tends to drop the oil on the underbody protector and you don't normally see it, unless you remove this. I picked up my leak as I could smell gear oil when I drove it hard and in my garage when parked! If the diff is leaking this may be the seals on the axle or something else

As Tomo89 mentioned, hard starts and full throttle acceleration in any gear will produce diff vibrations if the mounts are suspect, also I noticed with my foward mount on the diff the clunking was during deceleration and gearing down. Hope this helps a bit too!
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Hey Brendan, is the oil leak coming from the diff? The transfer case leak tends to drop the oil on the underbody protector and you don't normally see it, unless you remove this. I picked up my leak as I could smell gear oil when I drove it hard and in my garage when parked! If the diff is leaking this may be the seals on the axle or something else

As Tomo89 mentioned, hard starts and full throttle acceleration in any gear will produce diff vibrations if the mounts are suspect, also I noticed with my foward mount on the diff the clunking was during deceleration and gearing down. Hope this helps a bit too!
    Cheers
    Chris
    My bad, the rear diff - why would the transfer case be at the rear Anyway, we didn't do any hard starts on the test drive, but it could be just the seals - the car looks like it has had an easy life, drivetrain wise. I guess if my mate decides to go ahead on the purchase we can get Mazda to check it out just to be sure.

Brendan

I don't own a MPS 3 or 6 but I have driven both and they are both great cars..so good luck on ur quest to finding one

My bad, the rear diff - why would the transfer case be at the rear
    my bad too, should've realised when you said rear tell your mate good hunting for the MPS, with all the minor faults mine has had, I still love it to bits

10. Default

Yeh dont give up the hunt, the smile your mate will get on his face every single time he drives it is well worth the search

11. Default

Hah yeah, the test drive *almost* made me go and get one myself We went to check out a Liberty 3.0 R-B but he doesn't fit, so it's back to the MPS6!

Brendna

Quote Originally Posted by ando View Post
    I bought it from Tweed Heads (I live in Canberra) so rather than run the Pacific Highway gauntlet, I'm paying to have it trucked down (I traded my old car in so they drop off the new and pick up the old).

But yeah, it's the standard model, 2005, only 33,000 kms and in great nick (at least according to my pre-purchase inspection report). Went up to have a look and a drive and it was great. At first I didn't really think it was that great performance wise, then the boost suddenly kicks in around 3000rpm when I gave it some off the lights and wow. The acceleration and "push you back in seat" ability is amazing. I didn't really get to experience it fully given the busy roads, but I'm very keen to give it a proper drive once it comes. What a car.
    congrats man ! aaah gota love when the boost kicks in i had the same feeling when i brought mine a year ago so much torque compared to my rx8! now im used to the power and yea dont get that rush

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Brendan
    it could be a rear shocker? i just done the 80k service and mazda told me i have a slight leak on a rear shocker..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kovmps6 View Post
    congrats man ! aaah gota love when the boost kicks in i had the same feeling when i brought mine a year ago so much torque compared to my rx8! now im used to the power and yea dont get that rush

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

it could be a rear shocker? i just done the 80k service and mazda told me i have a slight leak on a rear shocker..
    Nah, the leak was coming from the inside end of the driveshaft and dripping outwards.

Brendan

Heh, fancy seeing you here Brendan!

I'm DJIntegr8 mate, the one looking at buying the Mazda 6 MPS. Thought I would join up on this board. Gonna go drive another one this weekend hopefully.

In a more on topic post though what you guys reckon about getting a pre purchase check of the car? I was thinking RACV would be the go, but I have heard there are a few others around that may have a bit more expertise.

Brendan's Mate, sorry Nepharius

If I was buying a second hand car for the money you'd be paying, then yes pre purchase check would a necessity! You can probably advise them on areas to check - Diff mounts, axles, transfer case leaks, condition of suspension etc on top of the normal checks these guys perform. I'm not sure on who in Vic you'd use, but RACV would probably be ok? Some insurance companies run checks too, have you tried Shannons?

Good hunting mate
    Chris

16. Default

Hi Mate,

Use stateroads. They are probably the most thorough and include a test drive of the car (if the owner will let them, if not they'll ask to be driven... if they still can't do that well, you probably shouldn't buy it).

They'll come to wherever you need it checked, usually on the same day you call them or you can pre-arrainge a time to meet them. They'll also give you a full report noting any repairs needed.

www.stateroads.com.au they have a phone number, but I can't remember what it is

A check is about $200 (less than but close to). Expensive, but not if it stops you buying a lemon.

Yeah have heard Stateroads mentioned before on a subbie forum. Will have a look, esp cos the RACV check was 170-210 anyway so this won't exactly be more money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12