User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new 3 MPS.

Wink Hi, new 3 MPS (Newcastle)

Hi all!

Been hangin around here for a little while scraping up info on the new 3 MPS. Good info here, thanks

Been waitin for the new 3 to launch for what seems like ages and have finally got one....and I am impressed and happy.

Just completed 500kms, so my feedback so far...

Styling
    Obviously controversial and no doubt original and fresh. The subtle shapes in the body with deliberate aerodynamic emphasis captivate the mind. Its so different that after seeing it in the flesh its an car that you keep reviewing in your mind constantly. Looking at the shape at different times of the day reminds you that the styling was not something just slapped together and is always bold.
    On the inside the design also confirms the futuristic concept and originality of this car. It is a mix of technology and comfort that combined with electrically adjustable drivers seat means it feels like its your space in there.

Handling
    Clever engine torque control means that 1st and 2nd gear promote traction rather than excessive tyre shredding. But its obvious that the engineers found a good balance here as the LSD front diff squirming away reminds you that the limit of traction is right there under your right foot. I cannot yet comment on wet weather driving.
    Cornering is typical Mazda...fun! There is confidence and balance with the right level of nervousness that makes it fun to push around. Feedback it sharp to the point where you can feel the road well (probably due to the low profile tyre choice as well) and reaction from steering inputs is translated quickly. It reminds me of our 2000 model MX-5 a lot here.
    Steering weight is perfect in my opinion, not light and fluffy yet responsive and firm. Road camber can be read easily.

Performance
    Well...it doesn't disappoint that's all I can say. Off the line you get quickly through 1st and 2nd and then into the money makers. Third gear and up is where the action happens. The first two gears are a good progress for the full 'unlocked' feeling the engine takes on from 3rd gear up - they are over quickly and without too much fuss (very deceptive, don't underestimate it). After dropping into 3rd it soon becomes obvious that all of a sudden 100kmh has gone and 160 is approaching fast....smooth relentless acceleration and a great engine/exhaust note to match. The overall experience feels well balanced and mature while offering a frantic element that makes it clear that this car earns some respect out there
    Fuel consumption average after the first tank returned 9.5 from a mix of in town driving (to work etc) and a run from Newcastle to Nelsons Bay and Newcastle to Tuggerah thrown in.

I will add more impressions soon...
    Last edited by holotropik; 02-10-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Glad to hear your loving it

Im so glad to hear that 3rd gear is still awesome ....

Picorban

what colour??

can't wait to get into mine... hoping thursday!

holotropic! Great write up on your new MPS

Post some pics when you get a chance, enjoy the forums!

5. Default

Welcome in your new 3

Cool Another mps junky

to ozmps club "u can check out but u can never leave mps rehab "

welcome to the family

welcome................

Otherone bites the dust on board and enjoy the ride...

to OzMPS and I hope you enjoy the site..

Have a look thru the sections and maybe we might see you on a cruise.

Thanks for the welcome.
    I bought the Aluminium colour, it shows off the shape well i reckon

I also have a 2000 MX-5 and previously owned a 6 MZR-CD as well as an R100 with 13B B-Port jammed into it. I have also owned and raced 4 Datsun 1600 over the years.

I will look into the cruise days for sure and a track day would be good too.

nice

The aluminium looks so awesome in low light

I agree Lynchy.

The choice of colours was pretty lame at this stage but the Aluminium really shows off the shape well. Getting used to the car as the sun goes down helped me understand the shape of the new 3 because of this colour. There are these subtle lines in the front guards that I did not see on the red one in the showroom.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Oh, I forgot to ask who is from Newcastle (NSW) around here?

cool insight into your driving experience with the new mps. nice one!!!

enjoyed reading your comments.

Blog Entries

Welcome

Other observations...

Brake pads might be a bit soft...lots of dust happening there. Might look into better pads, any suggestions??

Very easy to drive daily, clutch and gearbox are awesome (typical Mazda).

Welcome to the forum

Welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast