User Tag List

Thread: QLD Transport new modification guidelines

Blog Entries

Default QLD Transport new modification guidelines

Light Vehicle Modification

QLD transport seem to have made some subtle wording changes - talking to some dealers today and service agents - this may not stay in it's current form - check out the following clauses :

(1)
    The tyre to rim fitting and the tyre to rim combination
    must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Standards
    Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of
    Australia. Reputable tyre retailers should have this
    information and be able to advise on the correct
    combinations.

The tyre and rim standards manual may override manufacturer specifications, meaning that the 225/40R18 on stock 7" rim fitment that some of us have debated may be permissible if this guideline is authoritive for roadworthy. (Still doesn't make the 12% speedo error roadworthy though). There is also clauses referring to manufacturers specs, so I wouldn't be surprised if 225/40R18 on 7" is still a fail unless the manufacturer OKs it. Don't you love the clear, unambiguous rules? *mild sarcasm*

(2)
    All rims fitted to an axle must be of the same diameter,
    width and offset. They must not have a circumferential
    weld other than that which attaches the outer rim to
    the centre. All rims must have stud hole pitch circle
    diameters suitable to the hub. Wheel nut tapers must
    be appropriate to the wheel and must engage the thread
    of the wheel studs for at least the same length as the
    nuts provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

Had a dealer refer to this today indicating that this means that any aftermarket wheel is unroadworthy unless it exactly matches the OEM fitment.
    I am confident this is an erroneous interpretation, as interpreted this way, basically any aftermarket wheel is unroadworthy because none of them have the OEM spec. RTA do seem to have changed the wording and made it more ambiguous...leading to some agents (I asked a couple after being told this) interpreting it as a blanket keep-things-exactly-the-same rule.

The key bit here is "to an axle" (must be the same specification on both sides of the vehicle - DUH)
    SURELY there's a way to rewrite above so that can't be misinterpreted (!)

(3)
    The track of a car or car derivative may be increased
    by up to 26mm beyond the maximum specified by
    the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model of
    vehicle. Off-road passenger vehicles fitted with front
    and rear beam axles, may have an increase in track
    up to 50mm beyond the maximum specified by
    the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model
    of vehicle.

This clause reveals the (2) interpretation mentioned above as incorrect - if you are allowed to change track, then you must by definition be allowed to change offset. Just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone else has gotten the "must be exactly the same fitment" noise from their agent.

Agents are expecting some hardline changes from RTA, but I am fairly certain they have gotten this (2) interpretation wrong. Will check further to confirm.

I can't believe after all the checking I've done over the last 12 months, I'm looking at this again because RTA seem to have gotten the wind up agents...
    Last edited by Nexus; 03-12-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Nation-wide laws?

There is a move to nation-wide road laws. It occurs to me that the dealer may have been referring to nation-wide laws that are scheduled to come into effect, or laws that have come into effect in legislation but not yet in practice ????

Certainly a careful read of the current qld transport light vehicle mods documentation show no real changes that I can see..

I believe down south you are now supposed to get a mod plate for any wheel fitment (other than stock spec presumably), and we can probably expect for this to come through to QLD in the future.

Honestly, I have to say - after all the wheel and tyre fitment threads I've read, I can't say it would be inappropriate or unwarranted. By and large people do not care enough and take liberties too often.

The only way to prevent that is place an engineering certification requirement on any over-tracked or wider-rim wheel fitment. To keep it simple, Any aftermarket wheel that differs from manufacturer spec requires engineering tick and accompanying mod plate. That would probably need to specify appropriate tyres also.

Will look in to proposed national laws next....