User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MOTOR: Mazda 3 MPS trumps its rivals!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    The 0-100 in 6.1 in the new car IS possible. You just have to flat shift.
    Flat shift = break your gearbox...

6.6s is pretty bad IMO, considering you didnt need to flat shift in the old MPS to get around the 6.1s. Mind you, inline speed has never been the MPS's best feature. I always struggled against lighter turbo'd 4's with the torque limitation, even with the zorst and Xede. I bet the new MPS would be great for Tambo and Nebo...

BTW, regarding flat shifting. Kiddies dont try this at home - unless you want chunks of brass syncros in the oil pan...

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    From having a quick look at the article, the MPS would have trashed the WRX for BBFYB "any day of the week and twice on sundays"
    Must have been a very quick look. I think thats a good exaggeration of the situation, and certainly didnt read that bad - but really nothing has changed - the MPS has always been better than the stock WRX in quite a few ways.

I was disappointed in the lap times of the new MPS, was also slower than the old MPS looking at my pile of 07 Motor mags. Luffty or not, they're all experienced drivers at Motor..

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Just finished reading the article and my oh my!....the MPS rocks, the WRX was threated like as even the Megane was rated higher!
    Again, must have been a quick read. Cant see anything in there about there being on the WRX, altho the brakes were pretty bad, and IMO I agree with that statement. I found the Brembos on the Sti far better than my old MPS, but the MPS's brakes are definately good value in that price range.

"the all new MPS is like Microsoft - Consider the 2006-2009 MPS3 is Windows XP (snappy and sharp), and the all new 2010 being Windows Vista (glorified and bloated)"
    Last edited by Wardski; 20-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    they're all experienced drivers at Motor..
    Experience is not the same as competence. Motoring journalists can't drive for shit.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Experience is not the same as competence. Motoring journalists can't drive for shit.
    With a statement like that, its simply amazing anyone even buys a car magazine then..... If these guys cant extract all the goodies out of a test bed (MPS, WRX, Evo, whatever) we're all wasting our time and $$s.

Might as well wait for TGUK series 14 to kick off in November peoples..

You got that right. They're in the business of telling stories to sell advertising space. They don't produce anything that could remotely stand up to engineering or scientific scrutiny. By all means read them for entertainment, but understand that the subjective information they convey could never be considered reliable.

For the most part motoring journalists are qualified only in journalism and they use testing methods that are so full of uncontrolled variables as to be laughable.

I haven't paid for a motoring magazine in over 20 years, but I read one in a dentist waiting room recently and noticed they're still full of crap. Wouldn't waste my money. Australian motoring magazines are in a class of their own when it comes come to biased, agenda driven drivel.

Gone to Volvo

Party pooper

Sorry about that...... I meant what I said, but I should have said it without the grumpyness.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Motoring journalists can't drive for shit.
    As proven by all present at the MPS drive day Those nanna's putting around
    マツダスピード

Cool

My sisters use to pay for a birthday present yearly subscriptions from Wheels and Motor for me but that stopped a few yrs back......I flick thru them out in the newsagents...

Lap times say it all....

0-100 times are for tossers...

Quote Originally Posted by holotropik View Post
    Lap times say it all....
    Indeed....a very good lap very close to the overhyped AWD WRX.

with all paws going at once you would expect the WRX to be faster.....

To be fair on this article it does paint a pretty accurate picture of these cars. Sure the WRX seems to have the better performance in certain areas which is expected but at what price?
    I went away from this and other articles understanding why Mazda built the MPS why they did. All the articles I have read so far (and owning a new MPS) clearly point out that the MPS is the best package in this price bracket. If Mazda went 4WD with this MPS you would find that it too would be lacking in areas which would tarnish the image of the new 3 like what happened to the WRX.

And where is the Lancer Ralliart in all this??

ralliart was in the BFYB comparo month before. It didn't do well. I'm so glad I held off buying the ralliart knowing the mps was coming.

yeah..I looked at the ralliart but I couldn't get past the weight and poverty pack interior...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123