User Tag List

View Poll Results: What fuel do you use?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caltex Vortex 98

60 20.69%
  • Shell V-Power

57 19.66%
  • BP Ultimate

161 55.52%
  • Mobil 8000 (98)

11 3.79%
  • Generic (No-Name) 98RON

1 0.34%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Fuel - What do you use?

1. Default

Reading through this thread 99% of people are using 98. Since the car requires 95, is there any honest reason to use 98 instead of say BP 95 PULP?

If you have honestly read this whole thread the concern is pinging, especially on tuned cars. If you're worried about the price of fuel, stop burying you foot into the carpet

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    If you have honestly read this whole thread the concern is pinging, especially on tuned cars. If you're worried about the price of fuel, stop burying you foot into the carpet

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Just wanted to confirm what I had read :-) The extra $5 a tank is not a piggy bank buster :-P

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarney View Post
    Just wanted to confirm what I had read :-) The extra $5 a tank is not a piggy bank buster :-P
    I tested my SP23 on E10, 95RON and 98RON and then my MPS on 95RON and 98RON and 100RON using a scangauge to calculate cost per KM.
    I found that no matter what fuel I used, it was about the same.
    As for performance, the SP23 was a bit sluggish on the E10.
    Other than bum dyno I had no other way of accurately measuring performance difference.

So my conclusion was, may aswell use the better fuel. It's not costing you any more
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I tested my SP23 on E10, 95RON and 98RON and then my MPS on 95RON and 98RON and 100RON using a scangauge to calculate cost per KM.
    I found that no matter what fuel I used, it was about the same.
    As for performance, the SP23 was a bit sluggish on the E10.
    Other than bum dyno I had no other way of accurately measuring performance difference.

So my conclusion was, may aswell use the better fuel. It's not costing you any more
    The SP23 i traded in actually felt a tad better with E10 i only used the standard unleaded with it other than that. I think i read e10 is actually rated at 95 ron.
    The standard tune with the MPS you probably won't feel difference between 95-98 since its very rich and retarded.
    Custom tune i was advised by Tunehouse use BP98...am tempted to try the United 100.
    Last edited by shaneski; 16-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    am tempted to try the United 100.
    Gamble all you like. United 100 is just 98 with extra ethanol to boost octane rating. Not to mention the base fuel is rather crap... damn asian fuel market we're in...
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    Gamble all you like. United 100 is just 98 with extra ethanol to boost octane rating. Not to mention the base fuel is rather crap... damn asian fuel market we're in...
    Thats a good point and the fact the United closest to me don't sell 100 and i can't be effed sitting in our shitty Sydney traffic to fill up for a possible extra 2 points of octane .

8. Default

On our 2nd tank of BP ultimate. It's the closest servo to us that does 98. There is a Shell and Caltex a little bit further away, might give their 98 fuels a try for a few tanks each. People are getting better economy on V-Power?

9. Default

@mpsbarney I've been warned about Caltex fuels. It's what Safeway/Woolworths use and basically another potential dodgy fuel provider. Nothing wrong with it initially but the quality is a little less than desired for those who want to ensure the best of their engines.

Shell and BP are the top of the tree when it comes to fuel. If you can get to either of those, then that's the best you can get here. I'm primarily a Shell person, but have nothing against BP as sometimes choice is hard to come by.
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    @mpsbarney I've been warned about Caltex fuels. It's what Safeway/Woolworths use and basically another potential dodgy fuel provider. Nothing wrong with it initially but the quality is a little less than desired for those who want to ensure the best of their engines.

Shell and BP are the top of the tree when it comes to fuel. If you can get to either of those, then that's the best you can get here. I'm primarily a Shell person, but have nothing against BP as sometimes choice is hard to come by.
    I used bp98 for a long time before I switched to Caltex98 n never looked back. Gives more mileage n smooth idle.Everyday reward discount FTW loo . Everyone got different opinions on fuels.
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

Funny how everyone says something completely different.
    Filled up at caltex once in merimbula (on one of our cruises) only just made it home. Bit over 400km. Wasn't driving hard (relatively) would usually get 550-600km.
    Other times its been good.

Only thing I can really say is I don't ever remember getting a bad tank from a BP.

Funny how everyone says something completely different.
    Filled up at caltex once in merimbula (on one of our cruises) only just made it home. Bit over 400km. Wasn't driving hard (relatively) would usually get 550-600km.
    Other times its been good.

Only thing I can really say is I don't ever remember getting a bad tank from a BP.
    It's actually hard to believe that you noticed a difference of over 150ks. When I was on BP98 I used to get around 380 n now 420. There can't be huge difference in fuels. Just saying

Confirmed by my father who experienced the exact same.
    We were both driving together at the same speed.

Just a one off from that servo.

Other times I've filled up at caltex its been perfectly fine.

Confirmed by my father who experienced the exact same.
    We were both driving together at the same speed.

Just a one off from that servo.

Other times I've filled up at caltex its been perfectly fine.
    Ohk yea some servos sell bad batches you just gotta know which one. Been filling up fuel from same servo since last October n it's always same mileage so I guess it's good.

To give you an idea on the variance fuels can be.
    We had a very highly modified motor in a Morris minor (don't laugh, it was quick)
    We drove it around for years, no tune problems (had twin SU carbys, old school guys will understand)
    Drove it to Adelaide. First tank of fuel in SA, the car ran like a pig, octane boost settled it, but we eventually had to retune it and change the carby needles.
    Got it running good, but didn't have the power it normally had.

Back into NSW, new tank of fuel. Had a few more troubles, Back to original carby set up and tune. And it was going good as ever
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

To give you an idea on the variance fuels can be.
    We had a very highly modified motor in a Morris minor (don't laugh, it was quick)
    We drove it around for years, no tune problems (had twin SU carbys, old school guys will understand)
    Drove it to Adelaide. First tank of fuel in SA, the car ran like a pig, octane boost settled it, but we eventually had to retune it and change the carby needles.
    Got it running good, but didn't have the power it normally had.

Back into NSW, new tank of fuel. Had a few more troubles, Back to original carby set up and tune. And it was going good as ever
    Consistency in fuel is so hard to find these days.

17. Default

Digging up this thread! Been using BP98 since new, car has just ticked over 6000km. The trip computer varies between an average of 8.8 to 9lt/100km, seems to more closely reflect 10lt/100km going on how many litres I put in for the km travelled in a tank (same pump at the same BP each fill).

I'm happy with that, for the amount we drive we enjoy the car and to me that's all that matters :-)

Now thinking about mods... :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarney View Post
    Reading through this thread 99% of people are using 98. Since the car requires 95, is there any honest reason to use 98 instead of say BP 95 PULP?
    Stock car, no.

Tuned car, for obvious reasons, yes.

I ran my fastest stock 1/4 mile at WSID on 95 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    I ran my fastest stock 1/4 mile at WSID on 95 lol
    From factory 95 is what the book says and performs great on it, but from what some say on here and for the extra couple bucks it costs per tank, I chose BP98. The demo we took for a test drive had 95 in it and it feels the same as ours running 98.

But when I eventually do a tune, it will be for 98, so I guess the need will be there.

Going to dig this up. Been having hesitation/stuttering issues on partial throttle when boost comes on from low rpms. Also uneven power delivery when you get into it. Car is stock. Was suggested to try out 98 to see what happens. Car is going in for a service in a month so I decided to try it out and see how it goes.

Since buying the car I have been using Shell 95 as the book says 95. On the first tank of Shell 98. Seems to be smoother, haven't encountered any issues yet but it may just be my imagination at this stage.

Read in this thread that a stock MPS can knocks/ping on 95.

Does anyone else have issues running 95 on a stock MPS?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast