User Tag List

View Poll Results: What fuel do you use?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caltex Vortex 98

60 20.69%
  • Shell V-Power

57 19.66%
  • BP Ultimate

161 55.52%
  • Mobil 8000 (98)

11 3.79%
  • Generic (No-Name) 98RON

1 0.34%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel - What do you use?

BP Ultimate for me. I've tried the others but the car grumbles at me.

I try to use BP. I was told that Shell do something to their fuel to make the octane rating higher. Anyone know where APCO get their fuel from???

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Got stuck with a tank of BP 95 the other day as the servo had run out of Ultimate 98 and had my first noticeable knock retard on the highway 150km later, thought the motor was gonna drop out of the car...never again slumming it with 95. Was a hot day though, don't think that helped things.
    Cant honestly see why you would have a problem. Afterall the sticker on the fuel cap says 95RON is reccomended.
    I use it most of the time, can't fault it.
    I don't drive it hard enough to notice any major performance difference. Certainly not enough to worry about.
    Economy is better on Ultimate, but $ per km works out much the same

Used to run 95RON bp in my modified GTi-R, nothing else was available here. Never had an issue with that either.
    There was a very noticable performance difference between 95RON BP and 98RON Shell Optimax however. The BP was much better

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mymps3 View Post
    I try to use BP. I was told that Shell do something to their fuel to make the octane rating higher. Anyone know where APCO get their fuel from???
    APCO is a "non-branded" Mobil fuel distributor. Most likely the fuels sold are from local supply (Caltex or BP, or a combination of both)

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Cant honestly see why you would have a problem. Afterall the sticker on the fuel cap says 95RON is reccomended.
    That was my thinking when I filled up, thought I'd be fine. It scared the crap out of me when it happened. As I mentioned, it was quite hot which probably didn't help matters.

I don't think it was a fault of 95ron fuel, you might have got a bad batch or something
    45degree days here still no problems on 95

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    That was my thinking when I filled up, thought I'd be fine. It scared the crap out of me when it happened. As I mentioned, it was quite hot which probably didn't help matters.
    Dan I have had the same experience on 95 and this was a night when it was coolish - KR up to 4.0+ In the last week or so I've some KR of around 1.0 to 2.0 with BP Ultimate from my local BP and 2.0 with Caltex 98, though this could either be bad batch or heat, it was around 45 degrees for a while here!

Either way I'm now sticking to BP Ultimate from a servo 10 mins away and not the local, as I have had no problems with this one!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I've actually changed my preference too, since following this thread.

I now prefer BP Ultimate - close to home, Cornwall St/Logan Rd at Stones Corner... failing that, Caltex Vortex98.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    I've actually changed my preference too, since following this thread.

I now prefer BP Ultimate - close to home, Cornwall St/Logan Rd at Stones Corner... failing that, Caltex Vortex98.
    IMO, go with what works. If you get fuel from X brand service station and it works for you, then stick with it.

Since joining a certain Fuel Refiner, I've been very particular as to what I put in to my cars, however this shouldnt apply to everyone - eg, if you've been using Shell Vpower for example and it works for you, then stick with it.

I was having a chat with our chief chemist this morning (as one of my projects is to remove all of the asbestos in their knock motor testing room), and he said that the cleaners that BP add to their 98 & 95 ron fuels create gasious residue thats not overly good for the newer, more efficient catalytic converters - over a long period of time...

So.. damned if you do, damed if you dont.
    Last edited by Wardski; 29-01-2010 at 10:36 AM.

I mainly use BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex 98 and Shell V-Power but have also used BP 95 premium, Vortex 95 and even the United 95 RON (with 10% ethanol). I've gotta say that I don't notice any difference. Perhaps cause I'm averaging 9.8 l/100, I don't wring it's neck enough.

has anyone tried octane boster?

12. Default

I have on my previous car (honda prelude). I could feel a minor differance on the butt dyno. Haven't tried it in my MPS yet.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nasa View Post
    has anyone tried octane boster?
    Great for older cars, not that good for new cars. Can cause pre-detonation and additional heat...

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Great for older cars, not that good for new cars. Can cause pre-detonation and additional heat...
    NASA's car didn't/doesn't need anymore heat
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

haha what evs... hahah

Quote Originally Posted by turbomuz View Post
    I mainly use BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex 98 and Shell V-Power but have also used BP 95 premium, Vortex 95 and even the United 95 RON (with 10% ethanol). I've gotta say that I don't notice any difference. Perhaps cause I'm averaging 9.8 l/100, I don't wring it's neck enough.

My compliments - sounds like I wrote this . Identical to my MPS6. I've tried all the fuels and usually run on BP premium with no hassles. Only difference I notice really is a slight (ever so slight) improvement in economy when using 98RON. I used 10% enthanol once and thought the car was smoother, but after thinking about it I filled in the mountains on a a day that cooled dramatically just before filling. In hindsight I think the smoothness was due to atmosheric conditions.

Default Mazda6 MPS best fuel

Hi guys,

I have had my MPS6 for 3 months now and have been using 98RON Vortex 98. I have read my manual and it recommends 95 or above. Is it really safe to use 98RON fuel on the MPS? Just wondering if its doing damage.

Cheers for any help.
    Chris

The octane rating describes the anti-knock properties of a fuel, not its potency. Think of octane as a safety rating. The higher the number, the safer the fuel is.

Dont run 95.. this car advances its timing right to the edge for environmental emissions crap. It doesnt like 95. I have seen it when I had no option.. the ECU hates it.

98 or go home

Doc

Perfectly fine to use 98RON, in fact I believe it is better to use a high octane fuel as they are cleaner. I wouldn't even use 91RON in my lawn mower Probably 95/96RON! I use nothing but 98 in my MPS6 unless I'm stuck and desperate I'll use 96. Although I haven't tested in the MPS but in my old car is actually ran better and I could get slightly more out of a tank on 98RON. It's more expensive but I think its worth it. Definitely not doing any damage

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast