User Tag List

View Poll Results: What fuel do you use?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caltex Vortex 98

60 20.69%
  • Shell V-Power

57 19.66%
  • BP Ultimate

161 55.52%
  • Mobil 8000 (98)

11 3.79%
  • Generic (No-Name) 98RON

1 0.34%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel - What do you use?

BP for me.

Is BP Ultimate really that good? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it but I'm curious as to why so many people here use it. I always fill up with V-Power because I go past a lot of Shell stations and hardly any BP stations. Maybe it's time to change..

Can the people who fill up with BP Ultimate please explain the benefits of it? Why is it better than other fuel brands? I'd be very curious to hear about it.

Thanks.

BP for me too. Just coz everyone else does. And...I'm just a girl lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    I use and recommend BP ultiimate, even though I work at Caltex.

Caltex actually provides BP with the majority of its 98 RON these days (which is why there was no 98 RON over Xmas 2008 when Caltex Refinery experienced an unplanned shutdown 12th December 08), and the only difference is the additives. BP blends in a pretty harsh fuel cleaner, which tends to provide better fuel economy over time and with consistant use. The cleaner BP uses also increases the density of the fuel, which provides a better burn IMO.

Some people have experienced issues with "brand x" fuels occasionally. 99.9% of the time its the servo that has the issue (water in tanks, silicone residue left over after maintenance flushing, etc), so my recommendation is to change servos if you ever have a problem.

For those who swear by Shell, the update on their situation is that they are still importing their fuels. While there is nothing wrong with them, keep in mind it usually takes 2-4 weeks before they get to Australia, then another few days before distribution - as opposed to BP and Caltex fuels, that are made and distributed in less than a week. Imported high spec fuels (such as 98 RON) are usually off (as low as 91 RON) by the time they hit Australian shores, so an additive is used to bump up the octane rating again.

Keep in mind that all fuels are batch tested daily, and must conform to various government regulated standards prior to distribution, so theoretically the only difference between local and imported fuels is their age (pity its not like red wine or a good single malt whisky). Also, when there are reports of fuel damaging cars, its very easy to find out if it was the servo or the fuel manufacturer who caused the problem by simply tracking down the batch delivery info at the servo...

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Shell is still off line, although they haven't made any of their staff redundant yet, however we now have a new GM Refining at Caltex (Lytton) and he came from Shell. No news on when they will start up again, as all repairs have been made and theoretically the plant is ready.

BTW, Caltex Kurnell refinery has always produced 98 RON. When we had the outage from 12th Dec 08 to late Jan 09, Kurnell supplied QLD with both 95 & 98 RON (in substantially small quantities).
    Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    Is BP Ultimate really that good? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it but I'm curious as to why so many people here use it. I always fill up with V-Power because I go past a lot of Shell stations and hardly any BP stations. Maybe it's time to change..

Can the people who fill up with BP Ultimate please explain the benefits of it? Why is it better than other fuel brands? I'd be very curious to hear about it.

Thanks.
    Wardski's answer above from an earlier post pretty much sums it up! We don't get V-Power in WA so never tried it, though my experience of Shell 95 is not good, had to use occasionally when there was nothing else available and each time my knock retard (KR) on my dashhawk pushed over 3 occasionally (not often), not saying that engine knock was occurring but rather the ECU sensing the lower grade fuel and compensating, needless to say I put in some octane booster shortly after and no more KR alerts! Have also used Caltex with no problems but my car seems to run better on BP - no scientific explanation, just the old SOTP meter telling me
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

5. Default

***update***

Well, Shell is still same o same o, importing not producing. Our new refinery manager was poached from Shell as well, so you'd have to say that Shell's local refining days are over here in Australia.

Mind you, depending on what happens with carbon trading, the outcome has the potential to end for all locally made fuels IMO........

V-power...

bp ftw!!
    all and everytime!
    tho new engine in a week.. i hope they had the same habits

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Mind you, depending on what happens with carbon trading, the outcome has the potential to end for all locally made fuels IMO........
    Yep...or increase the price to ridiculous levels...I could rant about carbon trading for quite a while, but won't in this topic!

I'm still on BP Ultimate, but have changed BP servos. One near work always has good stuff, the one near home is variable quality.

I do miss V Power Racing though, the car was a beast on that!

Smile Bees pees !!!!

BP Ultimate the mps seems to run better on it !!!!!!
    Col

BP Ultimate if I go on a trip - BP Premium unleaded when just pottering around town - no point wasting money on fuel.

Used Caltex a few times - the last tank on the Apollo Road Run was noticeably different (power) but previous attempts at caltex have been proved decidely less fuel efficient than BP. That applies for either BP Premium or Ultimate. I get better economy out of BP Ultimate, debateable whether the difference in cost of fuel is justified if you look at it that way. As far as performance is concerned - I can't tell.

I sold my Morris Minor recently, when I was in South Australia for a week in it, I couldn't stop it Pinging (commonly mis-called/spelt really is pinking) whatever fuel used. There is a lack of BP available in the areas I attended. As soon as I got into NSW and put in BP Ultimate the pinging stopped. Don't laugh at the Morris, it was very much modified with an exceptionally high compression, loved accelerating past modern cars on an expressway at 130 kph, a true sleeper.

BP ultimate mainly for me unless happen to have one of those "save your money" discount 4c discount vouchers then it will be V-power then...

I must admit that i get more mileage out of BP... might be a psychology thing but the numbers add up though max i get is around 500-525kms per tank

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    I sold my Morris Minor recently, when I was in South Australia for a week in it, I couldn't stop it Pinging (commonly mis-called/spelt really is pinking) whatever fuel used. There is a lack of BP available in the areas I attended...
    If any of you are going on holidays (or work) to a known area where there is no 98 RON, then just remember to pack a few bottles of octane booster. When I go to 1770 up near Gladstone, I always keep 2 bottles in the car, as they only have Caltex 95 RON. One bottle is usually good for 3-4 Octane points.

Stickied

14. Default

BTW, if anyone wants to know anything about any kind of fuel, simply PM me and I can respond. It helps that I work for a major fuel refiner, so information is a plenty here. If theres anything I don't already know, I can easily find out.

Got stuck with a tank of BP 95 the other day as the servo had run out of Ultimate 98 and had my first noticeable knock retard on the highway 150km later, thought the motor was gonna drop out of the car...never again slumming it with 95. Was a hot day though, don't think that helped things.

I rather run out of petrol and call for assistance than puting in anything than BP 98

Stickied

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power at a pinch if I'm not near a BP.

Used to like the Shell V-Power Racing 100 octane (RIP), car was a beast on that stuff!
    here here on that comment i loved that stuff and was willing to pay the 20cents extra over the 98ron but for the BEST KLMS in the 2 over a long drive i.e when i went to sydney i found the shell norm unleaded to be the BEST not great on power but got me large klms

Blog Entries

I only ever put BP Ultimate in the bike. It must be the green in the logo that signifies quality.

Second choice would be Caltex Vortex 98 followed by Shell Vpower 98.

Used to be a Shell only man - until I got a bad batch!

Funny you say that, I used to only use BP Ultimate, but since a bad batch of that went in, I have switched back to Mobil 98, mind you the bad batch of Ultimate was during the shortage of premium fuel, so who knows what they were selling as premium at the time.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast