User Tag List

View Poll Results: What fuel do you use?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caltex Vortex 98

60 20.69%
  • Shell V-Power

57 19.66%
  • BP Ultimate

161 55.52%
  • Mobil 8000 (98)

11 3.79%
  • Generic (No-Name) 98RON

1 0.34%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Fuel - What do you use?

1. Default

I would never use 95 in an MPS unless there was no other option. And Shell..... oh dear. You probably have blocked injectors and fouled fuel filters....

Is Shell that bad?

I have no choice other than Caltex or Shell on the morning commute.......

I've switched from BP to SHell 98 for a few months now and havent had any issues... so far at least...

Just checked - nearest BP to me is at Kenmore/Chapel Hill but I work in the gabba so I don't drive that way into work.

Nearest BP closest to work is at Stones Corner. I'll give that one a go and see if it makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Brissy_MPS3 View Post
    Is Shell that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    I would never use 95 in an MPS unless there was no other option. And Shell..... oh dear. You probably have blocked injectors and fouled fuel filters....
    Ward works at an oil refinery
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Testing United 100 and the car seems to love it. Usually use 98 BP with some squirts of METH 100% when I change tune over.

Is Shell that bad?

@Brissy_MPS3

May be due to a bad batch or old fuel as Ward has mentioned in the past that Octane level of the fuel does deteriorate on leaving the refinery. So possibly by the time that fuel reached your injectors it was less than 95 although most manufacturers try to audit their octane numbers at the pump.

Most members here prefer BP98 or Caltex98. I've never had problems with 95 octane fuel but use 98 unless the option is not available...

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    @Brissy_MPS3

May be due to a bad batch or old fuel as Ward has mentioned in the past that Octane level of the fuel does deteriorate on leaving the refinery. So possibly by the time that fuel reached your injectors it was less than 95 although most manufacturers try to audit their octane numbers at the pump.

Most members here prefer BP98 or Caltex98. I've never had problems with 95 octane fuel but use 98 unless the option is not available...
    I think it must be the servo we get it from, as I used 95 on a trip down to Sydney and back with zero issues.

I guess there is very little room for error with these motors? So if the fuel has deteriorated you certainly know about it.

I'm halfway through my first tank of V power 98 with no problems. The hesitation on boost seems to have disappeared. That's in all gears, high and low rpms, particularly in 4th at below 3000rpm which was a problem before. Will try and replicate the stuttering noise/power loss I get on the highway but I'm starting to think bad fuel is all it was.

Just hope it hasn't caused any lasting damage over the past 10 or so months.

Ok so on the second tank of 98, this time BP Ultimate.

All issues seem to have gone. Looks like this motor is very sensitive to fuel quality. Unless the previous owner threw a tune in that required 98 but I doubt it.

98 from now on.

10. Default

Caltex 98 only because conveniance. Havent had an issue, data logs show minimal KR @ Wot. Never really run my tank to empy, but i average anything from 380-430 (trip meter)per tank or 12ltrs per 100, and thats daily driven peak hour traffic + always squirting it off the lights with an 95 ots map. I once tried to grany the car, got 9.8 per 100kms, but why would you drive like that.

Ok so on the second tank of 98, this time BP Ultimate.

All issues seem to have gone. Looks like this motor is very sensitive to fuel quality. Unless the previous owner threw a tune in that required 98 but I doubt it.

98 from now on.
    Picked car up from workshop, fuel pump good and everything else good.

They put it down to bad fuel and ecu pulling timing. Recommended 98 always.

Mine used to play up a little bit, but rayd has tuned around shell 95 all peachy now

This threads poll needs United 100 added to it

Agreed ^ Been filling up with United's 100 recently, but go for Shell V-Power otherwise since its pretty much always the next closest thing otherwise.

Picked car up from workshop, fuel pump good and everything else good.

They put it down to bad fuel and ecu pulling timing. Recommended 98 always.
    Fark it, happened again today. Been running 98 for a while now.

Will buy a reader from Ebay and go from there.

If you want to borrow my AP over a weekend you're welcome to try.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415