User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALL aftermarket wheel and tyre fitments 225 or wider NEED guard rolled on MPS3

1. Default

31 psi seems really really low I would think it should be closer to 38 or 40, I wouldnt think its doing your tyres any good to underinflate them that much

2. Default

different tyres would run different pressures, and that is influenced again depending on the car and the position

when i had them inflated to 36 psi, only 3" of tyre (middle) was in contact with the road, and you could see that the rest of the tyre curved upwards rather than being flat

Blog Entries

Wow. I _really_ wouldn't have expected that on stock rims because you are 4.5mm further inboard than mine.

I look at mine and there's bugger all clearance standing still and looking at how the tyre will move, but there should be sufficient clearance on stock rims.

The KU36 do have a distinctive shape to the sidewall? perhaps they flex further on the 7" rim than the 7.5"

Are you lowered?

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    i have a pair of kumho ku36 225/45/r18 on the stock rims at the rear of an mps3

tyres are inflated at 31psi when cold and the tyres rub - the tyres are inflated to that psi because any higher, and the tyres do no have enough contact with the road. right now, the whole inside shoulder is in contact, but the final 1" of the outside should does not touch, and you can see where the whiskers are, even after 1000km

it doesnt rub the top of the guard, but more so at a point about 4 inches above the top of the side skirt - it rubs when going over those sharp, triangle type speed humps, and when going around the circular down ramps in car parks

i am sure it rubs under different scenarios, but since its only about 5mm (vertical, and looks like someone is drawing on the tyre) of rubbing around the outside circumference, the sidewall should be safe because its really rubbing on the tread, but its just obvious because the guard is bent

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Wow. I _really_ wouldn't have expected that on stock rims because you are 4.5mm further inboard than mine.

I look at mine and there's bugger all clearance standing still and looking at how the tyre will move, but there should be sufficient clearance on stock rims.

The KU36 do have a distinctive shape to the sidewall? perhaps they flex further on the 7" rim than the 7.5"

Are you lowered?

trust me, i wasnt expecting this to happen as well, i had previously run falken 452s in 225/45/r18 on the rears with no problem at all, but then again they were inflated to 34 or 35psi cold for an optimal contact patch

the car is stock ride height, and using factory shocks on the rear, with factory struts at the front

though the ku36 sidewall does bulge outwards a lot more (lot more curve) than the 452s. i was checking out another mps the other day that had 235/40/r18 falken ziex 329 tyres on the factory rim, and even those tyres didnt bulge outwards as much at the ku36

anyway, was driving on a road which involved of lot of long, banked, up/downhill sweepers at around 80km/hr, and you could just hear it grab as you neared the apex (couldnt think of a better word)

could try higher air pressue, but not sure how the wear would be like

what tyre pressure do you currently have on the rear?

Blog Entries

38psi all round for me.

I think the KU36 225/45 might be wider than most 225's.

Like a 230/43 if you can imagine that. I have no bulge on the sidewall, mine are quite square, but I am on a 7.5" rim and I would expect yours to show a bulge.

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    trust me, i wasnt expecting this to happen as well, i had previously run falken 452s in 225/45/r18 on the rears with no problem at all, but then again they were inflated to 34 or 35psi cold for an optimal contact patch

the car is stock ride height, and using factory shocks on the rear, with factory struts at the front

though the ku36 sidewall does bulge outwards a lot more (lot more curve) than the 452s. i was checking out another mps the other day that had 235/40/r18 falken ziex 329 tyres on the factory rim, and even those tyres didnt bulge outwards as much at the ku36

anyway, was driving on a road which involved of lot of long, banked, up/downhill sweepers at around 80km/hr, and you could just hear it grab as you neared the apex (couldnt think of a better word)

could try higher air pressue, but not sure how the wear would be like

what tyre pressure do you currently have on the rear?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12