User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Car Bra / Paint Protection

this will destroy your paint if you ever remove it

Really? Destroy your paint? Geez, that doesn't inspire confidence. Are you in the paint and panel game?

Early this year I got Ozicote to fit a protective film on the whole front end of the car including headlights & 1/4 a way up the bonnet. Side view mirrors & back bumper was done as well, about $850. Very happy with the product.

im not in the paint and panel game but I know people that have had this done and the people that put it on say if you ever want to take it off you will have to respray, its a good product if you never plan on removing it

5. Default

but does even this film get damaed eventually from stone chips and need redoing ... if this is the case does it mean you paint will be cactus after that when u need some more film put on ?

6. Default

i always think the paint protection was not really helpful,maybe i had a red faded accord euro while back, and they decided to do nothing..

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pockets View Post
    this will destroy your paint if you ever remove it. im not in the paint and panel game but I know people that have had this done and the people that put it on say if you ever want to take it off you will have to respray, its a good product if you never plan on removing it
    Hi there, we've been installing paint protection film since 2003 and we've done over 1500 cars and motorcycles, so I think we know what we're talking about, and the comments from "pockets" are certainly not what we have experienced.

The genuine paint protection film (we use 3M and VentureShield) is constructed with a special adhesive that allows safe removal from sound paintwork, i.e. original paintwork, or paintwork that is professionally applied with proper preparation and matches factory finish paintwork. If the film is applied over cheap resprays, poor touchups then - yes - the film may remove that paint, and we've seen a number of instances of that happening. You really can't blame the film for that happening.

I won't indicate who we are, but I'm happy to answer any other questions that might come up about PPF.

Nothing matches having an original paint job and PPF helps keep your car original.

Im a spraypainter and i totally agree with Filmguy on this. It will not take your paint off when removing. I have worked on many Porsche Gt3's that are road/track cars and they put the film over certain parts of the car to prevent some of the stonechips from the track, I have had to remove the film for painting damaged cars. It does not remove the paint. Also many cars come with clear film on the lower edges of the doors. We have to pull it of when painting. so i personally know from experience.

9. Default

does this mean if your considering this you should first get your bonnet repsrayed to remove paint damage by stone chips etc ?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    does this mean if your considering this you should first get your bonnet repsrayed to remove paint damage by stone chips etc ?
    If you have just a few small chips - why bother? Lots of money to get it done right and most people can live with a couple of chips. Or get them touched up by an expert, don't attempt it yourself.

The good news is that once you get the film installed you basically say goodbye to stonechips, bugs, abrasions, swirl marks and so on. Of course that only applies to the areas that are protected by the film.

I've done 190,000km over 6 years in my car and I can honestly say that I have no stone chips or paint blemishes where the film is. 12 months ago I took off my original clear bra which had been on for 5 years and I took my car to a detailer friend the next day.

He ran his hand over the bonnet and said "You've had this polished and buffed". "No", I said. "That is how the paint was back in 2004 (five years ago) when I applied the film to my new car."

So the film kept the paintwork in an absolutely original state. No oxidisation, no stonechips, no bugs, no swirl marks.

When you go to sell your car you will have practically nil stonechips where people would expect to see them (e.g. bonnet, bumper) and you can either leave the film on or remove it if it has suffered any damage.

11. Default

but didnt you say if your paints not perfect to start with when u peel it off it ould quite possibly lift the paint off in spots too ?

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by filmguy View Post
    and you can either leave the film on or remove it if it has suffered any damage.
    What kind of damage would require you to remove it ?
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

is there anyone in townsville or FNQ that does this clear film

I think the invisible car bra thing is a good idea but here's some food for thought. Has anyone considered that after exposure to the elements and washing over time that the edge lines of the film might dirty / deteriorate making them more noticeable. What if the film gets chips in it? how will this look? Will it prevent dents? I doubt it. Also consider warranty. If there was a defect in the paint due to poor preparation / aplication from factory you may void your chance of it being covered by warranty. Mazda has a six year warranty on perforation but do not endorse aftermarket paint protection kits / applications. Will your insurance company cover the replacement of the film in the event of an accident?

Personally i'm waiting for someone to invent an invisible energy shield which wraps around your car. Stone chips will bounce off (keep dreaming DISI)
    Last edited by DISIMS3; 22-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

^^Dismis3, yes insurance will cover the replacement film. as long as it is on your insurance policy as an extra. same for window tint.
    And as for poor preperation from factory, this does not happen. They are most certainly not painted by hand....
    Im unsure if i will put the film on my new mps3. wouldnt mind doing just the front of the bonnet. ill admit its not cheap though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12